2016 Skate America Ladies SP | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Ladies SP

narcissa

Record Breaker
I WAS THERE LIVE!!! And I was absolutely blown away by Ashley and her dress. It was just spectacular. And Gracie's dress, too :)

Globetrotter

Medalist
Oh please, people talk as if Ashley has second-tier skating skills or something. Ashley may not have the best skating skills of the bunch, but they are above average and to describe them as "mediocre" is simply turning a blind eye to her abilities or showing a complete and utter bias against her.

She was the deserved leader in this field and her score is fine. Not sure how I feel about "Sweet Dreams" as a program yet. I didn't like it as much as I liked "Hip Hip Chin Chin" when it debuted.

I have to disagree. Ashley is way above average in the PE and IN aspects but her basic SS is very mediocre especially the edge work and gliding and multidirectional skating. The placement is fine but I just think she is overscored on SS and TR. SS should only be 7.5 IMO and TR about 8. It does not make sense that she gets higher SS than both Mao and Gracie when they clearly are superior in SS.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I re-watched Ashley's program and during the footwork sequence watched nothing but her feet. I'm not sure what the people who said she was doing a lot of two foot skating were watching but what I saw was good footwork. It was fast and she moved between rockers, brackets, counters and some short twizzles while interpreting the music. I have been skating and watching skating since I was a child and what she did wasn't easy, and it was well done. Just because it wasn't one of Mao's step sequences (which I think are Mao's best attribute) doesn't mean it was bad.

People are going to see what they want to see.

Last edited:

Tyranid

Final Flight
34.7+ PCS for Ashley is definitely fine when compared with Radionova or TukTuk. Those two are hot messes.

If "hot messes" win world titles with WR TES (given current rules) and become the first, and only, 2-time JWC in somen wingles hisory, then I wish that all of my favorite skaters are "hot messes". Who needs pseudo Carolina Kostners who are "old and mature" (that is one of the crucial program components!!! In case y'all didn't know!)

Last edited:

RaylHaze

Rinkside
I love Sima's program!! She's always have unique artistry when she skates. I'm not fan of her jumps tho somehow the landings are the problem. Her spins are really good too

taltaltel

On the Ice
Still not feeling Mao's short program. Someone already said a while ago that it's a bit Gracie Gold in the way it's presented. There's a bit too much arm-flailing and meaningless movements that don't look too elegant. It's like she's going through the motions, not really feeling the music like she does in the free skate. She had a clean skate here but I think the scoring was about right, if we accept the UR call on the flip (on slow motion replay, it does look a tad bit under the quarter if you take the pre-rotation into account). Maybe she should throw a tano on that axel if she's not going to go for the 3A just yet, for higher GOE. Just maybe. Should be a piece of cake for her.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Wow this Mihara girl is good. Much better than Miyahara presentation wise, jump wise not even close. Lovely performance though choreography could be better.

ks777

Record Breaker
Mai may have landed her jumps, (despite almost falling on her last jump) but her skating looks soo unpolished especially her spinpositions

How thee heck did she get such a high score?

She has great skating skills. Watch her feet. Also she skates really fast.

Last edited:

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Just saw Gracie's skate on YouTube. Just so happy tinder her do such a good performance, I say good, because she can definitely do MUCH better. I LoVED her dress! Her makeup, gorgeous! Her choreography, wonderful! And she kept her bun low!!....gorgeous! Been waiting for a long time for her to skate this way! Despite the fall on the flip, gorgeous program. Rooting for this girl all the way!

Can't believe the Japanese girl miyahara got second place...she was so juniorish!

Ashley performed great. Really didn't like her blue outfit though and wasn't feeling her music or choreography.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
She has great skating skills. Watch her feet. Also she skates really fast.

Her edges are not deep and some stsq turns are hmm, but neither mediocre, nor great. Decent...I would like to say. She skated not "really" fast. Gabby was really fast. Despite her good skate overall sans her last jump landing, the performance wasn't enough for me. Too bland.

narcissa

Record Breaker
Ashley was really fast in person, IMO.

Also, I didn't hear the loud screaming?! Haha, maybe that guy was really close to the microphone?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Just saw Gracie's skate on YouTube. Just so happy tinder her do such a good performance, I say good, because she can definitely do MUCH better. I LoVED her dress! Her makeup, gorgeous! Her choreography, wonderful! And she kept her bun low!!....gorgeous! Been waiting for a long time for her to skate this way! Despite the fall on the flip, gorgeous program. Rooting for this girl all the way!

Can't believe the Japanese girl miyahara got second place...she was so juniorish!

Ashley performed great. Really didn't like her blue outfit though and wasn't feeling her music or choreography.

Mihara, not Miyahara.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
i am appalled by the judging of this event. both GOEs and PCS are a farce at this point. tech calls too actually.

(also Mao's flip wasn't <)

And people thought Sochi was bad lol. Wow, it is like Gracie and Ashley were the real chosen ones. Level 3s frm Asley and still enormous tes with a ur. A fall by Gracie. They are giving gifts to the American ladies tonite. I wonder what Donald Trump would say?

ordinary person

On the Ice
My my, i sure wasted my time after all the revolting, dreadful costumes i have seen, and of course who can forget about our dear old friend corruption. :disapp:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
And people thought Sochi was bad lol. Wow, it is like Gracie and Ashley were the real chosen ones. Level 3s frm Asley and still enormous tes with a ur. A fall by Gracie. They are giving gifts to the American ladies tonite. I wonder what Donald Trump would say?

We can't say what he would probably say because it would get us banned for obscenity.