Midwestern Sectionals, 16-19. Nov., 2016 | Golden Skate

Midwestern Sectionals, 16-19. Nov., 2016

Layback11

Record Breaker
Junior Ladies SP just concluded. Happy to report that it looks like Ashley Kim has rebounded from her injury; from the looks of the protocols, she landed 3F-3T and 3Lo. That had her in the lead with a 53.74. Best of luck in the FS to my latest Team Dallas Obsession™! (Because their skaters haven't already caused me enough heart attacks! :p)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Tessa Hong looked beautiful and gorgeous! Good for her to put the -3T on the flip. You can tell she's still recovering from the injury, but a solid return effort.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
So far the Senior Ladies I expected to be on top are (Hannah Miller, Emily Chan, Tessa Hong, and Amber Glenn). There's still ~half the skaters to go, plus the FS. This'll be interesting.

ETA: And now Ashley Shin has the fourth spot by a slim 0.78 points. Current top 5 separated by 4 points. The FS is going to be REALLY interesting. And that's after Bradie Tennell withdrew before Sectionals due to her Tallinn Trophy bye to Nationals.

There's a chance Amber Glenn might not even make it to Nationals, eek.

ETA agan: And now that the scores are out, I see Amber had her solo jump invalidated because she singled it. Ouch.

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
So Caitlin Fields and Ernie Utah Stevens got a 11.80 for their Senior Pairs SP. Only credited element was a Level 2 Step Sequence (2.60 pts for the sequence + 0.40 GOE), and then 8.80 PCS.

...injury issues? A "getting on the ice for the sole purpose of Nationals qualification" thing, I'm thinking, since they were already registered. There are so few Senior Pairs at Sectionals that they could have elected not to compete (and still gone to Nationals) via Rule 2511 on Page 120 in the USFSA handbook.

Four/12 or Fewer Rule: Competitors in any event at a sectional championship may progress directly to the U.S. Figure
Skating Championships if, at the closing date for entries, there are four or fewer competitors in their event within their
section or 12 or fewer competitors in their event in all sections combined.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So Caitlin Fields and Ernie Utah Stevens got a 11.80 for their Senior Pairs SP. Only credited element was a Level 2 Step Sequence (2.60 pts for the sequence + 0.40 GOE), and then 8.80 PCS.

...injury issues? A "getting on the ice for the sole purpose of Nationals qualification" thing, I'm thinking, since they were already registered. There are so few Senior Pairs at Sectionals that they could have elected not to compete (and still gone to Nationals) via Rule 2511 on Page 120 in the USFSA handbook.

Ernie tweeted this: https://twitter.com/EUStevens/status/799819729087201280
We apologize for not being able to perform tonight. Unfortunately, an injury limited us to the minimum requirement to make Nationals.

But yeah it doesn't explain why they decided to show up.

champs

Final Flight
Disappointing to know Amber Glenn singled her Lz and went safe with 3F+2T instead of 3-3, but at least she got positive GOEs for all but the 1Lz.
Curious about why Hannah Miller elected to do a solo 3T after she did 3F+2T.
I'm getting confused with the three Ashley's from Dallas FSC as even their family names sound similar. I'd like to see Ashley Kim's 3F-3T that received very high GOEs, good for her!

Kudos to Pooja Kalyan and Hanna Harrell in the Novice for doing two 3Lz's and two 3F's in the free! I really enjoyed Hanna's performance last season and rooted for her but Pooja was pretty solid according to the protocol, I'm yet to see her skating but hope both Pooja and Hanna get 3-3's in a season or two.

On the other hand I feel terribly sorry for Kristie Me, she got four << and two <. She was on my to-watch list when she did a ratified 3Lo+3Lo in the Southwestern Regionals but haven't gotten around to. She did 3Lo+3Lo only in the short only at this sectionals but got < on the second 3Lo. Maybe she has bad jump techniques and is a chronic underrotator, but I'm still yet to watch her performance so I don't know.

Last edited:

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
Congrats to Pooja who just keeps plugging away year after year, her jumps are progressing nicely and she continues to be a lovely skater! Hanna has some nice jumps but her skating is not what I like to watch, a little too frantic and rushed for me. Iwould think Hanna would get her 3-3s before Pooja but to me I think Pooja will be more competitive in this sport long term.

Congrats to all young ladies as they all did a wonderful job and are deserving a spot at Nationals!

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
They did the same today. Of the 12 elements, they only did a step sequence.... is marking (which I assume is what they did) even allowed??? I think there is a deadline to forgo sectionals and go to nationals.

Given that they did the same thing on both days, it looks like it is allowed. It makes less sense to forbid it than it does to require them to be on the ice with the injury issue when they could have initially elected not to compete anyway.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Emily Chan in second so far, good :) Does anyone has any info on Junior Pair who won? From scores and their planned elements they seem quite promising team.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Emily Chan in second so far, good :) Does anyone has any info on Junior Pair who won? From scores and their planned elements they seem quite promising team.

Here's Digerness/Neudecker's ISU bio

They finished 6th in the Saransk JGP this year and 13th in the Dresden JGP. 7th in Novice at last year's Nationals.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Unfortunately this was their only JGP season since Danny turns 21 in March

Too bad... But if they keep improving, then they should have a shot at some Senior B. Pfund/Santilan got GP after all...

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Nice to see Maxine Marie Bautista making the cut in Junior Ladies after not getting out of Novice Sectionals last year. She was on the JGP alternates list if I'm remembering correctly.

Was looking up more info about Shannon Porter, since I don't remember much about her. Apparently she struggled to make it out of regionals for a long time (Stats On Ice profile here) not even making it out of the qualifying rounds for a few years of Juvenile, then making it to the Competitive Round in Intermediate and Novice but missing the Sectionals cut. Last year she moved up to Junior and made it all the way to Nationals and repeated that this year.