2016-17 GPF Ladies SP | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2016-17 GPF Ladies SP

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
The thread is still 20 pages short of the expected 40 pages of indignation. Looks like I have lost my grip as a predictor. My only hope is that the heavy artillery has not shown up yet. With that, good night to everyone and the exciting FP competition tomorrow!

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Maybe next year he can choreograph a program to a spoken word reading of The Diary of Anne Frank.

I should not laugh but I did. I am such a bad human being. :slink: I already imagined some of the choreography :drama:

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Always amazing to me the vitriol that some people can work up about skating. Maybe I'm not enough of a fan of any one skater to work up that kind of outrage.

In the end I think the placements were correct. I'm not sure about Satoko's 3T because she rotates so fast I usually can't tell from watching in normal speed. If she did UR it she should be called for it. It's unfair to her not to call it. Just leads to more confusion.

badknees

Medalist
Today, Kaetlyn skated second. Anna, Elena, and Evgenia followed and all had realistic chances to skate great programs, too. The judges probably wanted to leave room in the PCS marks in case one or more of them skated better. Two didn't and one (in the judges' opinions) did.

Thanks, missdaisy for talking with me! So, here you mention leaving room in the scores. This is what I'm getting at. Why leave room? I don't think there is a top score like in the 6.0 system. Give high marks to the first skater, if someone skates better later on, give higher marks. Even with the 6.0 system, so give a 6.0 to the first skater and a 6.0 to the last skater. Does it really matter if there is a tie?

I guess I'm looking for a true black and white system with no gray area at all. With no need to hold back, mess with, fuss with, dicker with or calculate. Just score without taking into account any other skater yet to come or anything else except the black and white of what the judges just saw.

Sorry for the rant. This is something that has been bothering me for years. But yet I still watch, enjoy all skaters and hope for my favs!

Last edited:

whatif

Medalist
TAT really liked Osmond today. She got most compliments out of anyone not named Medvedeva.

I just can't with all the whining Medvedeva haters here. Hate her or not, she is just that good than anyone else currently competing and scores simply reflect that. Osmond has great jumps, and that step sequence is impressive. She is powerful skater and in theory she should beat Medvedeva. But Medvedeva just games the system better than anyone currently by picking up those GOEs and extra points left and right, which of course results in irritated anti-fans complaining about backloading (+GOE, check), arm above hands jumps (+GOE, check), slow speed (non stop transitions = higher PCS, check).

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The thread is still 20 pages short of the expected 40 pages of indignation. Looks like I have lost my grip as a predictor. My only hope is that the heavy artillery has not shown up yet. With that, good night to everyone and the exciting FP competition tomorrow!

Maybe everyone finally realized that Evgenia isn't the reincarnation of satan on skates? :laugh:

andromache

Record Breaker
For the record, despite my smark I do really enjoy Evgenia's skating even if I find Averbukh's choreography a little heavy-handed. But I stand by what I said that quantifying PCS has led to the current problem of PCS "overscoring" and we would be better off with a ranking system.

badknees

Medalist
Forget the story, I'm more concerned about this.... https://youtu.be/o1DCotu4qag?t=49s

Starting to wonder what was up with the choreographer when doing this. :palmf:

Haha. I guess I don't mind the skipping to show happiness. At least I understood that! But I still contend that if you are telling a story you should want folks to understand, or why bother.
It's almost demeaning of the choreographer to be so high browed to use some sort of high art, that only the high brow, educated artistic type can understand. I'm not sure skating is the place for this.
Bring it down to the masses plz!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Come on now, it has to be MORE offensive than this 9/11 dreck. So it's obviously going to be a Hellen Keller program.

I say you go even more avant-garde. How about a Dolphin being rounded up to go to seaworld? Think of the music.. think of the miming possibilities. Maybe you could even pretend to catch a fish after landing your triple lutz. You could wave goodbye to your other dolphin friends as you are carted off for a life time of slavery and imprisonment.

And then for the long I'm going full Bombing of Dresden complete with lots of arm flailing to signal the people burning to death. You could have airplane sound effects and maybe VOs of the airraid warnings.

OH GOD. I need to take up choreography as a career. (it's all fun and choreography until it's a cause or an event you actually care about)

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Maybe everyone finally realized that Evgenia isn't the reincarnation of satan on skates? :laugh:

Maybe they're waiting for tomorrow, when we have final results. Evgenia is on track to break Yuna's combined WR from 2010. She only needs 149.36 in the free to do it. She's scored 150+ before, so a clean skate would most likely do it.

kresslia

Medalist
Would be nice for Kaetlyn to actually be semi-clean tomorrow.

I feel like she's the only one in senior atm that can challenge Med if she can up the tech and keep up the consistency (which, right now, is only really affecting the SPs).

Rissa

Record Breaker
It's not. Her gaping mouth is part of her performance in that she's trying to express the music through her facial expressions. Some of us are tired of her "wide-eyed open mouth expression" because it looks childish and unsophisticated and she does it too much. That has nothing to do with Evgenia as a person as I doubt she walks around like that off the ice. She's just been trained to use this facial expression in her programs.

Facial expressions are performance elements. Its no different from what actors do with their faces.

Gurl/man, you're apparently American. English is your native language. How is the fact that "gaping mouth" in that context was an insult escaping you, I can't even fathom.

shyne

Final Flight
I'm curious to see what's next for Medvedeva. There's not much room for her points wise in SP.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Gurl/man, you're apparently American. English is your native language. How is the fact that "gaping mouth" in that context was an insult escaping you, I can't even fathom.

Gaping anything is never an attractive description. The only think that should gape is a wallet.

Would ajar be worse?

Your mouth is ajar.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Maybe next year he can choreograph a program to a spoken word reading of The Diary of Anne Frank.

Oh my god, don't give him any ideas! He might be reading this at some point! :laugh2: Besides, he just covered that theme with that holocaust tribute that went viral last week...

Other ridiculous themes that I wouldn't put past Averbukh:
- a tribute to Columbine, Sandy Hook and Virginia Tech
- the OJ Simpson trial
- the Waco siege
- the 1972 Munich Olympic massacre
- the Manson family murders

... crap, now I'm the one giving him ideas. :slink: