2016-17 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 69 | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Russian Ladies skating

madison

Record Breaker
It's not about if we are interested or not. It's about the competition between Russia and Japan. Looking at the current juniors and those who are behind them the only other country to meddle into our standoff is Korea. Although frankly speaking, these chances are not that big so far. Hence, Russia and Japan look at each other and at the signals they send to each other. Japan showed Rika Kihira who successfully landed 3A at the competition. Marin mentioned a quad (don't believe her, though). I think that overall Russian juniors are stronger at the moment. But without reaching new level this advantage may disappear in a couple of years - the Japanese won't let to rest on the laurels

From what I saw yesterday, Russia will dominate the next quad as well. The juniors are really, really strong.
Btw, are you going to ice-dance?:love:

Sam L

Medalist
What happened to Polina at the Junior Nationals? Her FS was strong. I can't see her SP...

Alas, no. Once we are in St.Petersburg for a weekend we decided to go to a famous museum: Hermitage.

But Sugarpova will be there (she planned).

I love Hermitage. It's my favourite museum in the world.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When do we get to see Sasha Proklova debut as a pairs skater :popcorn:

moriel

Record Breaker
So is it safe to assume that Zagitova, tsurskaya and konstatinova will go to seniors GP next season.

I suppose all 3 may turn seniors. There is an impressive junior line up, so no point in keeping them in juniors at an olympic year. As for seniors, let the strongest survive, this seems to be the strategy since 2014.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I kind of feel bad for the Russian Fumie Suguri - Alena Leonova. We will never see her again at a top level competition. She could be like Yulia, Liza and Elena R - all washed up world medallists. Or unlikely to go to worlds/olympics. How sad so much talent. There are like so many promising and already good Russian females. They should share the wealth. lol

moriel

Record Breaker
I kind of feel bad for the Russian Fumie Suguri - Alena Leonova. We will never see her again at a top level competition. She could be like Yulia, Liza and Elena R - all washed up world medallists. Or unlikely to go to worlds/olympics. How sad so much talent. There are like so many promising and already good Russian females. They should share the wealth. lol

Or ISU should increase avaliable spots.
Its kinda rude to even suggest skaters should change countries and blablabla. They are not supposed to, and its not any close to easy, specially considering the age of the skaters.

lavoix

Match Penalty
Zagitova is now ahead of Tsurskaya in many ways. I think she has more change to make the team over Pogorilaya.

I think Tuktamysheva is done after her appalling display at Universiade.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Its kinda rude to even suggest skaters should change countries and blablabla. They are not supposed to, and its not any close to easy, specially considering the age of the skaters.
I used to agree with this
But seeing the success of Moris, Sarah/Kirill maybe some should switch?:slink::(

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland

Maybe they should consider that indeed. In track & fields if you have reigning World Champion then you can
send 4 athletes if they fulfilled minimums next year, in Olympics max 3 nevertheless. I can't imagine though Spain with 4 competitors in Men right now. They have one great skater, two decentish and after that huge gap and after that skater with no tech minimum probably.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Zagitova is now ahead of Tsurskaya in many ways. I think she has more change to make the team over Pogorilaya.

I think Tuktamysheva is done after her appalling display at Universiade.

It is so sad in russia the immense pressure these ladies are under and how disposable they are. Zag, Tsurk and Sot are lurking to take over for an aging Med, Pogo and radinova who took over from Oly champs Adelina and Yulia and world champ Liza forget about grandmother leonova. Radinova may be already out the door so to speak. I agree with the other poster we shouldnt look for a solution of switching countries but that is the way of theworld it seems.

kalee

On the Ice
Agree that the 3 potential rising seniors in the JW team all have a good chance at 2 senior GP's next year. They are all already in the top 24 SB and have the chance to better their SB at JW, so will probably get 1 guaranteed GP spot. Polina & Zag should be safe for 2 GP's, and so should Stasya if she can beat 191 (Leonova's SB) at JW.
Surprisingly, Leonova's SB of 191 is also sufficient to give her a guaranteed GP spot too. It is also not far enough from the others' scores to make a clear case for denying her the 2nd GP assignment.
So the tough choice for RusFed next year is likely to be whether to deny Leonova a 2nd GP spot in order to give the Rostelecom host pick to Yulia (despite a 20+ point SB gap), or live with having no GP for Yulia due to maxing out their 18 GP spots. Sima seems to have even less chances at qualifying for GP since the case can be made that Yulia would have performed better had she not been injured. Sigh - it is getting crowded up there, though the attrition really isn't as bad as hyped if there is still room for 3 new seniors next season.