2017 Worlds Men's SP | Page 95 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Men's SP

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I've seen Javier live. He's way too slow for the PCS he gets

Yeah i've noticed that too. He's good but not amazing as his marks suggests.

Jason skated last which helps, and while I like Kolyada and think he was underscored today compared to some people, IMO Jason definitely has better artistry than Kolyada at this point. IMO if anything Brown is still a bit undermarked in PCS for simply not getting the quad bonus, but it is understandable all the same.

I'm fine with his PCS, i think he deserves high components (45 is okay, too much two foot skating), i don't get the TES.

medvedevasocks

Match Penalty
People who complain about American skaters can't make up their minds :laugh:.

1. Nathan doesn't deserve such high PCS! It doesn't matter how many quads you do, PCS is different from TES and quads shouldn't determine PCS!

2. Jason doesn't deserve such high PCS! How can he get such high PCS without a quad!

3a. How does Jason get such high GOE on his jumps when they aren't as big as other skaters' jumps?? That's not fair!
3b. *someone else complains about Evgenia Medvedeva's jump GOE* She has very intricate entrances and exits that determine her high GOE on jumps! Look at the criteria! *ignores Jason's entrances and exits from jumps*

Haters be hating just to hate. Have some consistency.

All I will say is I am glad Brown atleast got higher PCS than Chen today. I would have been borderline disgusted if he had not.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i am of the opinion that Patrick deserved more 10s than Javi on PCS :) and that a program with a flaw shouldn't get any 10s... we had a very long thread about PCS a while back..

In any case, I just wanted to point out how happy I am that Patrick received a 10 in skating skills... i am not sure i had seen that before :)

Last edited:

Nika09

On the Ice
Javi, Patrick and Yuzu all got 2.10 on their StSq4.
Ok, I'll loose my mind right know. Things are getting stranger with every piece of information. With that crazy transitions and SS and etc?? I mean sorry but Javi s and Yuzus stsq are just incomparable !!

medvedevasocks

Match Penalty
I'm fine with his PCS, i think he deserves high components (45 is okay, too much two foot skating), i don't get the TES.

True some of the GOE was generous, but again he skated last. The judges were excited to see a clean and strong skater from an inconsistent skater at the end of a night of great skating.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
(Jason benefited a lot from skate order as well. I assume he would've received 40-42 if he skated earlier).

FWIW, Jason's been getting 42-43 all season.

Jason had no quad to dazzle judges with and he got a standing ovation even after five clean quad-filled performances. That's a credit for Jason for finding another way to get the judges attention.

Last edited:

berry8

Final Flight

1. Nathan doesn't deserve such high PCS! It doesn't matter how many quads you do, PCS is different from TES and quads shouldn't determine PCS!

2. Jason doesn't deserve such high PCS! How can he get such high PCS without a quad!

3a. How does Jason get such high GOE on his jumps when they aren't as big as other skaters' jumps?? That's not fair!
3b. *someone else complains about Evgenia Medvedeva's jump GOE* She has very intricate entrances and exits that determine her high GOE on jumps! Look at the criteria! *ignores Jason's entrances and exits from jumps*

OMG you are just speaking my mind !!!

medvedevasocks

Match Penalty
So now the big question: can at last one of Yuzuru Hanyu and Nathan Chen make the podium? ;)

I predict Fernandez will win. It is certainly his to lose at this point.

Beyond that it gets tricky. I see 4 guys fighting for the silver and bronze if Fernandez has a good LP skate- Chan, Hanyu, Chen, Uno. I do predict atleast 1 of Hanyu and Chen (and IMO it will be Hanyu) will medal. I could even see both, but I am going to guess a Fernandez, Hanyu, Uno podium now. Boyang has a chance technically too, but IMO would have to be alot of mistakes, if those other guys skate well his PCS and GOE will hold him off the podium for sure.

zschultz1986

Final Flight
Stsq, and that's about it. 48 for that stsq? LOL

Mikhail has great speed across the ice, better than Jason and great spins too.

LOL, there is maybe one skater who can touch Jason in spins in the world, and that skater is not Kolyada.

Kolyada's quad combo was tight, no runout, probably +1. 3A was nice. Solo jump was nice.

Go watch Jason's again and show me where the deductions are. Actually, I'll save you time: There are no places where Jason will lose points on the GoE and he will certainly have better GoE than Kolyada on EVERY element other than the jumps.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
This program just doesn't seem to suit Yuzuru. Skating to Prince needs a bit more pizzaz.

This year I'm not in love with any of Hanyu's programs which saddens me. However I love the opening of the short and long and then everything is just okay after that.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I hear you. But really Chan gets cheated in this scoring system, Chen gets gifted and Hanyu despite all the issues is in really good shape to medal or even win still.

Im not saying kolyada was robbed. Kolyada needs to move to North American to find good coaches for pcs because his pcs is an extreme horrible disaster

He's talking about Jason, not Chen. Gmyers has been a Jason hater from the off. Stay uninformed, gmyers.

This is not true. I'm always saying brown will place higher than others are saying because judges love him and his skating and jumps are meaningless for his success. I wish they were more important but many many ways to gather points.

It was still a great performance - I'm not a fan of the program, but he sells it and his 3Z was textbook. But Chen and Hanyu each had a quad more than him (Hanyu had a 4L 4S, and Chen had a 4Z 4F 3A to Kolyada's 4T 3Z 3A). Hanyu gave up the value of a quad with the botched combo but his skating ability is far greater than Kolyada. 93 is still awesome for him, and I'm proud of him (and Kovtun!) for having pretty solid outings for the Russian men.

Their showings were bad in many ways. Kolyada in pcs because he's not maximizing potential by having american coach and choreographer and kovtun for garbage jumps as always
LOL. Javi, laying low this whole season and ceding all the spotlight to Yuzu and Chen, then tops them all in the Worlds SP. :laugh:

If he sneaks in another World title for a 3-peat, I'll be floored. But there's a reason he's won Worlds two in a row...

True

largeman

choice beef
Medalist

500 thumbs up for you

andromache

Record Breaker
Yeah i've noticed that too. He's good but not amazing as his marks suggests.

Do you know how TES is calculated? BV + GOE? A mix of quantity and quality?

TBH, I see very little difference between how Jason and Evgenia Medvedeva both maximize their jump GOE, other than tanos. Neither are the most natural big jumpers, but they execute incredible entrances and exits.

breadstal

Record Breaker
Group 4 FS Order (poor Nathan again after Yuzu, lots of pressure on Javier to skate last)
Yuzuru Hanyu
Nathan Chen
Boyang Jin
Patrick Chan
Shoma Uno
Javier Fernandez

Group 3
Maxim Kovtun
Alexei Bychenko
Kevin Reynolds
Mikhail Kolyada
Jason Brown
Denis Ten

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Haha, I can understand the judges, I would have given Javier all the +3's as well. He looked at them so serious a couple of times ... they didn't dare to give him low marks. When the champ lays it down everyone has to show deep respect. :biggrin:

da96103

Record Breaker
i am on the opinion that Patrick deserved more 10s than Javi on PCS :) and that a program with a flaw shouldn't get any 10s... we had a very long thread about PCS a while back..

In any case, I just wanted to point out how happy I am that Patrick received a 10 in skating skills... i am not sure i had seen that before :)

Are you okay? Do you need an ambulance?

Just to inform you, just before Patrick skates, someone was saying the position would be 1. Javi, 2. Shoma 3. Boyang and I said wait a minute, not so fast, Patrick has not skated yet.

berry8

Final Flight
Ok... I watched this in HD with mommy...
Mommy thoughts:
- She is not sold on Hanyu's SP . She doesn't like his short program that much.
- She loved the Chinese guy and She is happy he scored higher than Hanyu:)
- If She were young She would do ice skating :D