2017 Worlds Men's SP | Page 102 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Men's SP

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
So which language is the least, mmhhh..talkative of those I don't understand? Russian, Italian or Chinese?

I started out with the Chinese then ended up with the Russians. The commentators seemed to chatter less during the programs. :biggrin:

I'm watching the coverage now on NBCSN. So annoying that they start later instead of going live. Oh well.

magicalwords

On the Ice
The level of competition :jaw:

But man. Do these judges know they can press buttons other than +3? :shrug: I thought ladies had it bad with GOEflation, men have it worse.

lavender

Record Breaker
Awww....Ijust realized Jason was in tears when his score came up. It though they were going to cream him with the lack of quad. He made me tear up.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Good order for both Hanyu and Fernandez. Hanyu seems to be imploding under pressure again and again ever since his WR postings last year. Now he can skate first, just worry about his own skate, and put the pressure on everyone else. Fernandez will know exactly what he needs to win, he could even opt to take something out depending what that is.

Pretty good for Uno, he will know what everyone but Fernandez did, skates right after Chan, and could put some pressure on Fernandez too with a great skate.

Not so great for Chen, especialy if Hanyu has a great skate right before him.

I think it's super great for Chen, because when he knows what Hanyu does, he knows just how many quads to throw in there. :biggrin: Chen might as well replace a 3A with a 4S - he's more consistent with it anyways, and also 6 quads would blow everyone's minds as if 5 wasn't enough. :laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I just realized Jason was in tears when his score came up. It though they were going to cream him with the lack of quad. He made me tear up.

I think there was a ton of emotion going through him in such a short time. I think he felt a lot of pressure because USFS was gambling on him to follow through and I'm sure he's at least aware that some people didn't think he should have been on the world team.

Also, I think he knew he was going against the tide by sticking to a no-quad strategy. I even found myself wondering if Jason would feel peer pressure and throw in that quad.

His reaction after he finished was of absolute relief. And his reaction at the K&C I think was based on the fact that he knew that all the other competitors had done quads and he wondered how he would score.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
I like Chen...he is such a cutie but for me he just doesn't have the skating skills of the top guys. I just want to love his skating like I do most of the guys in the top 10 (chan, javier, hanyu and yes jason).

Last edited:

jaylee

Medalist
You have to admit in general though in comparision to Javier, Yuzura, and even Patrick and Nathan the way Uno is scored is less than generous. Has been the case since he first became a contender last season. I think it is the natural disadvantage of being his country and fed's #2 vs those other guys who are all their clear National #1 and receive all that backing, even if Spain doesnt have a super powerful fed.

Shoma Uno reminds me of Satoko Miyahara, minus the pre-rotation issues. Both are very polished, all-around skaters (consistent jumpers, solid spins, skating skills) who finish their moves and interpret the music well. But they both get less PCS considering everything that they do. This may be because Uno is #2, but I think an argument can be made that both skate somewhat "smaller" than some of their competitors.

zschultz1986

Final Flight
Everyone on this forum knows that I'm all about skaters getting rewarded for higher difficulty. But Brown is an exception because, unlike most of the other guys, he seizes every opportunity to maximize his grade of execution. Let's not forget too that better, more aesthetic elements = better overall impression of the program, so higher PCS.

Exactly. Jason's skate was great and he's nearly maxed out this program layout. He's never going to break 100 without a quad, and that's probably how it should be. However, to deny Jason's greatness and ability to execute every element not just well, but how they are within and adding to the program is just silly.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yuzuru in 6th place :shocked: just still can't believe

He's 5th. No combo and the -4.00 for no combo on the 4S with touchdown really hurt him. Lost about 10 points on that one. I still think it would have been close against Javier though, because Javier's jumping was ON today.

Let's also remember that Javier/Uno/Chen/Chan skated AFTER Hanyu, so the judges were marking Hanyu's jumps absolutely and not in comparison to those guys.... so Javier getting high GOE is all the more notable because it means the judges had seen Hanyu's jumping passes and decided (barely) that Javier's were better overall.

This is super frustrating though.... yet another competition this season, where Hanyu makes an error that leaves points on the table, erasing his technical advantage. And still going for that 4S, augh -- I wonder how that affects his confidence in the FS, where he has yet to land both 4S this season (if I recall correctly).

As they say, you might not win it in the long, but you can lose it in the short. He can still definitely move up in the FS and hopefully he does, but that's hard having to chase the leaders while amidst a couple of quad kings who have the firepower to surpass him if he doesn't skate close to his best.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Exactly. Jason's skate was great and he's nearly maxed out this program layout. He's never going to break 100 without a quad, and that's probably how it should be. However, to deny Jason's greatness and ability to execute every element not just well, but how they are within and adding to the program is just silly.

Also for what it's worth, his previous high TES wasn't that much lower -- 45.98, basically 46 TES. He scored a mere 2 points more.....

That TES came from Trophee Eric Bompard 2013. Basically same base value (.2 higher due to higher value of 3T), but higher TES, which I think if you compare the two SPs you'd agree his jumps looked better here.

I think it's also easy to see why he scored more in PCS....some if it is reputation, but I think on the whole, he's skating with more speed, better ice coverage, etc.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think there was a ton of emotion going through him in such a short time. I think he felt a lot of pressure because USFS was gambling on him to follow through and I'm sure he's at least aware that some people didn't think he should have been on the world team.

Also, I think he knew he was going against the tide by sticking to a no-quad strategy. I even found myself wondering if Jason would feel peer pressure and throw in that quad.

His reaction after he finished was of absolute relief. And his reaction at the K&C I think was based on the fact that he knew that all the other competitors had done quads and he wondered how he would score.

Let's also remember Jason's PB before this was 86... and he absolutely smashed it with 93//// so, assuming in the KnC he's seeing the leaderboard and maybe even sees that Kovtun with 89 was in 10th, he was super anxious as to if he'd be in the running.

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
Wow, this was a great competition- so many personal bests! Congrats to all the skaters. :clap: I'm also very happy Patrick broke 100. :biggrin: Fingers crossed for the free!

And although Yuzuru didn't have his best skate today, I think he did a fantastic job in selling the program to the audience. Ignoring the botched combo, this was probably my favorite showing of his SP all season.

Considering the unpredictability of the men's field, the fight for gold/silver/bronze will be exciting to see! And once again, congrats to everyone who scored personal bests today. :hap10:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The judges sure give Uno no gifts relative to the others in either GOE or PCS.

He just got a PCS personal best bump from 44.31 (4CC 2017, where he essentially skated the same... with a cleaner quad flip here) to 45.70, and his jump landings were tight compared to the other guys here.

He still executed everything fairly well, with 2 quads, and is one of the more artistic skaters, and that's the reason he and Javier are sitting 1-2. Chan only had 1 quad... Jin lacks artistry... Hanyu didn't do a combo and received an automatic +COMBO deduction... Chen fell....

He beat his personal best SP by over 4 points. I don't get why people are assuming Uno got hosed by the judges?! Do you not see the score he has and the the position he's in (almost 6.5 points ahead of Yuzuru), which is rather unexpected and a strong position for him to be in. People acting like he deserves 50 PCS, lol.

Last edited:

magicalwords

On the Ice
I think Boyang deserved higher scores. There was only one judge giving +3 to his combo. 4 judges pressed 0 for his 4T.... :scratch2:

PCS is rather subjective but I think he can definitely get extra points on performance and interpretation.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think Boyang deserved higher scores. There was only one judge giving +3 to his combo. 4 judges pressed 0 for his 4T.... :scratch2:

PCS is rather subjective but I think he can definitely get extra points on performance and interpretation.

He didn't really have connecting steps preceding his solo jump (the quad) which is an SP requirement, so he got a GOE reduction on an otherwise very well-executed quad, hence the 0's. Arguably Nathan should have had the same treatment for his 4F but it was not as telegraphed as Jin's 4T.

magicalwords

On the Ice
He didn't really have connecting steps preceding his solo jump (the quad) which is an SP requirement, so he got a GOE reduction on an otherwise very well-executed quad, hence the 0's. Arguably Nathan should have had the same treatment for his 4F but it was not as telegraphed as Jin's 4T.

If only the judges were consistent with applying the criteria correctly! I'm sure if his country read RUS, USA, CAN, or JPN he'd be getting +2s regardless :handw:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States