2017 Worlds Pairs FS | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Pairs FS

medvedevasocks

Match Penalty
Soooo happy for S/H. I loved Aliona with S/S. I do feel like things are being set up for the Olympics for S/M. I think they will be set up as the favs especially if they do well during the season. Just that feeling I get.

I agree. These would be odds for next year for the pairs.

Odds of winning the OGM next year:

Savchenko & Massot- 45%
Sui & Han- 35%
Duhamel & Radford- 7.5%
Stolbova & Klimov- 7.5%
Tarasova & Morozov- 2.5%
Everyone else combined- 2.5%

Odds to medal:

Savchenko & Massot- 80%
Sui & Han- 80%
Tarasova & Morozov- 80%
Stolbova & Klimov- 25%
Duhamel & Radford- 25%
Everyone else combined- 10%

Tarasova & Morozov are the kind of team right now at Olympics and Worlds who will almost always medal due to their consistency, but not win unless it is a horrible shitshow with all other contenders having bad skates.

UnChosen

On the Ice
But I cannot believe S/H have almost a full point less on PCS!! Toddle off with that nonsense!

Look on the bright side, because S/H got no PCS buffer at all for both their SP and FS it makes their victory here definitive. If they won because of PCS we would have pages of argument about it.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I'm so happy for S/H! Y/Z did a wonderful job too! Congratulations to all medalists! In fact all pairs did pretty well, and this was an outstanding competition, best ever !

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
S/H skated clean at 2015 worlds.

Sort of, she did have a bobble on a throw. Their level of skating that season wasn't the same as it has now become. No telling if they can skate perfectly with the full amount of transitions and artistry they've developed. She has yet to hit the side-by-side salchow for 2 seasons in a row. That element could easily knock them off the top.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Denney/Frazier's tough SP has an unfortunate outcome.

Very nice to see Tarasova/Morozov skating so cleanly despite that injury. Pairs girls are really amazing.

S/M would have won gold were it not for a few errors. That PCS speaks.

Well done Sui/Han to hold it together in the FS. Well deserved title. :clap:

Thanks Canadian pairs for keeping your 3 spots.

Totally loved Marchei/Hotarek. I'd give them even more PCS for that amazing FS.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
what will be interesting next year, in the early season, will be the GP series as Duhamel and Radford won't be seeded nor will Peng and Jin absent at these worlds. It will then be very competitive in some grand prix well some others may be more open.

Top 3 seeds S/H, S/M T/M
4-6 Y/Z, S/K and I/M

lavender

Record Breaker
I'm not so sure. S/M versus S/H, with D/R, S/K, and T/M as slightly lesser favorites.

I think about the last Olympic time when S/S were the favs a year or two before then V/T got on that world podium and things changed. I can feel V/T being set up as THE favs and it happened. I always get that feeling of a set up when it comes to skating. Of course the ice is slippery and there could be a surprise on the podium.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Look on the bright side, because S/H got no PCS buffer at all for both their SP and FS it makes their victory here definitive. If they won because of PCS we would have pages of argument about it.

I love S/M, especially their LP, but S/H is by far the best Pair in both technical and artistic side. Hopefully more judges would come to realiz that next season.

andromache

Record Breaker
Tarasova & Morozov are the kind of team right now at Olympics and Worlds who will almost always medal due to their consistency, but not win unless it is a horrible shitshow with all other contenders having bad skates.

Can't Robin get Ingo Steuer on the phone to choreograph for T/M? What has Ingo been doing? If he isn't at least choreographing for someone, it's a darn shame, and pairs skating is the worse off for it. It would also be nice if he was still around coaching.

andromache

Record Breaker
Sort of, she did have a bobble on a throw. Their level of skating that season wasn't the same as it has now become. No telling if they can skate perfectly with the full amount of transitions and artistry they've developed. She has yet to hit the side-by-side salchow for 2 seasons in a row. That element could easily knock them off the top.

Would they better off just doing a 2A?

joanne129

Rinkside
Duhamel & Radford only did clean programs with all their content once ever. I would say Sui & Han and Savchenko & Massot have way better odds to skate cleanly with their current content than D&R, and skating cleanly would also easily go over D&R's scores from worlds last year, the one time ever they did this. D&R also got a World Champ bonus of sorts to their PCS which is now gone, which wont be easy considering the weaknesses of their skating.

Stolbova & Klimov have shown ZERO signs they are anywhere close to contending for a major title again anytime soon. I love them but if they are in contention for a gold medal at next years Games I will be amazed. They cant even do something basic like a triple twist properly anymore, which starts pysch problems in all their skating, and they havent been able to build up any momentum at any point since 2014 now.

Tarasova & Morozov are consistent and technically sound enough but super super boring (they even make Hao Zhang seem exciting which is quite the feat), and wont win a major title without others badly flopping and making much worse errors than here without significantly better and more interesting programs.

You make it sound like those other teams are more likely to skate cleanly which isnt true at all apart from maybe Tarasova & Morozov. Especialy not Stolbova & Klimov who are hands down and by a huge margin the most mistake prone of the unofficial top 5 teams today. A clean or almost clean skate by Sui & Han or Savchenko & Massot is way more likely than a clean skate by super inconsistent S&K or D&R and their ultra risky program which they are mostly chucking skills of.

hahahaha ironic but true:rofl:

madison

Record Breaker
I do think that Tarasova and Morozov will improve in the coming season, if healthy. They are hungry to win, especially she.
I don't agree they are boring, they sold the short very well, again especially Evgenia. And I guess after winning all these medals this season, they'll get better free program for the Olympic year.

medvedevasocks

Match Penalty
Can't Robin get Ingo Steuer on the phone to choreograph for T/M? What has Ingo been doing? If he isn't at least choreographing for someone, it's a darn shame, and pairs skating is the worse off for it. It would also be nice if he was still around coaching.

All the Russian pairs have awful choreography right now, and the one team that doesnt (Stolbova & Klimov) cant deliver the technical goods consistently. Yeah it would be great if they looked for some outside help there. Mozer clearly is such an deathly uninteresting choreographer. Even Volosozhar & Trankov's programs were mostly zzzzz even if they were artistically much more advanced than the current young Russians.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Congrats to Sui and Han!!! So happy for them. :clap: (Although judge who gave them a 10.00 for PE with a fall?! Shaaaaade.)

Such a fight with S/M - who were absolutely brilliant. The top 2 teams were stellar. T/M should be commended for the bronze in spite of her injury.

Also very relieved Canada maintains 3 spots for the Olympics! :dance: That was brave of Eric to compete and they actually did pretty well considering, and I/M coming 6th (almost 5th!) is a huge achievement. Speaking of which congrats to S/K as well for a great comeback FS, including the 3-3! Good on them. :)

Rissa

Record Breaker
But I cannot believe S/H have almost a full point less on PCS!! Toddle off with that nonsense!

Ok, guys, I'm happy like all of you that Sui/Han won, but this? S/M were just magical, in terms of performace tonight they were a few points ahead of S/H. And believe me, I've never been muxh of S/M fan. When I was leaving the arena I overheard 2 conversations expressing their disbelief that S/M lost. Quite possibly they were people who didn't see Sui/Han yesterday, but it says a lot about the impact S/M made, they really wowed the crowd, two-footed landing nonwithstanding. Heck, I personally saw that two-footed landing but it didn't impact the performance whatsoever. By comparison, Sui/Han seemed a bit subdued, especially after the fall. I really don't think that PCS difference came from judges's bias. I'm actually surprised there isn't more tens in the performance scores for S/M.

Last edited:

Eclair

Medalist
I thought the spots at Nebelhorn are for countries that haven't earned a spot yet? So there's no way the US team will get more than that one spot at the Olympics next year? Am I wrong?