2017 Worlds Men's SP | Page 104 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Men's SP

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Brown's PCS (45,10) are 33, 51% higher! than Kvitelashvili's PCS (33,78). It is simply a bad joke. A laie might think Kvitelashvili cannot skate.

Maybe that's a product of Kvitelashvili beiing underscored than Brown being overscored. Moris is relatively unknown and doesn't come from a skating powerhouse, he was 12th in both GP appearances... and his Euros 6th, while a breakthrough, wasn't enough to save him.

It's actually quite unfair to compare Moris to Jason, because Jason honestly is 10-12 points better than Moris, even without a quad.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If Yuzuru is indeed following some kind of trend from the last Olympic cycle then he needs to be off the podium this year to win the OGM. That 2T helped things out.

But the scores after Javi are so close with all the quads the boys bring in the FS that there can be a lot of movement for any guy in the top 10 who does quads.

LOL, that's a sample size of 1, so I don't know if it's exactly a trend. ;)

I'm sure it's better to have a World title in hand than a potential Olympic title in the bush, so to speak. :biggrin:

Bcash

Final Flight
I question the wisdom of putting 6 quads into the long program. Because this means they are still playing for gold when IMO it's wiser for Nathan to pace himself in terms of balanced growth in his skating. He is only 17. It's not like this is gonna be his last chance. A top 5 finish at your first worlds showing is pretty damn good.

begin

Medalist
A lot of discontent regarding Nathan but I'm actually the least pleased with Javi's PCS. I don't think his skate was superior to Patrick's in components and they've given him an unnecessarily large lead.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
LOL, that's a sample size of 1, so I don't know if it's exactly a trend. ;)

I'm sure it's better to have a World title in hand than a potential Olympic title in the bush, so to speak. :biggrin:

Hey we Canadians know better than anyone that multiple WC golds do not equal an OGM. Sad but true. Yuzuru wants the 2nd OGM real bad.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The whole is more than the sum of its parts. It's true in life, and in figure skating.

Javier is amazing, and such a charming complete skater! I wasn't surprised, but I'm very happy. He's got the quads and the other jumps, but what makes his skating so exquisite is that those elements are woven into the expression of the program. He said last year that having people enjoy his skating is what's most important to him. Emotion, people! That goes into the judges' scoring. All these arguments about whether such and such an element should have gotten a +3 or a +2 is fine if that's what you really enjoy. But creating an emotional experience with and for the audiences counts. If the judges narrow their vision, then what we get is a narrow product.

All it takes is a Frenchman. I got a late start watching, and opened the stream onto Chaffik's last couple of minutes. I don't know what his score was, but his flair and his personality were engaging from the first second. A very nice way to begin watching this great competition.

I'm among those who adore's Boyang's Spidey program. He performed it with such personality, and up to its technical demands today. Good for him. Mikhail Kolyada's skates are looking OTT and rather similar to me now, but I found much to enjoy. Then Denis Ten skated. I love the Prokoviev, and it was put together and cut with genius. It all came together with Denis' brilliant footwork. Again, an instance of the whole being more than the sum.

Whatever each skater's special talent and interest is, is what gives that skater's skating emotional punch and power. Nathan Chen's unbelievable jumps gain power with every one he completes. His SP fell short today, but I look forward to a return to form from him. In the same way, it's the quality of Jason's skating and everything he does in his programs, especially that he feels the music and the emotion so deeply, and his desire to give that to the audience is palpable. As long as he's doing what he's so good at and loves so much, he's going to have passionate fans and defenders.

Shoma is an artist. I love every movement of his arms, because he expresses the music so beautifully. He does so much with his fingers as well, making them exclamation points with the music. And his artistry is also expressed through his eyes. The skating skills and jumps are there, and they're gorgeous. And they're in service of his artistry. Yuzuru is best when he knows he's at the top, that's when he can put together the technical and the performance in such an astonishing way. That didn't happen today, but it can happen tomorrow or the next. Patrick's skate gave us the full experience of what he does best, so it's satisfying, to him and to us, when that comes right through. I'd rather see him skate like today than push for more quads, but I understand the impulse to push.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
A lot of discontent regarding Nathan but I'm actually the least pleased with Javi's PCS. I don't think his skate was superior to Patrick's in components and they've given him an unnecessarily large lead.

Javi did 2 quads, while Patrick had only one. That's a big difference. Now it happens that Malaguena is a very well choreographed program, full of steps and transitions.
That may not explain all the points, but I am not one of the judges to know the reasons behind the marks.

My order would be : 1. Javi, 2. Boyang 3. Shoma 4. Patrick (all within 2-3 points difference)

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Maybe that's a product of Kvitelashvili beiing underscored than Brown being overscored. Moris is relatively unknown and doesn't come from a skating powerhouse, he was 12th in both GP appearances... and his Euros 6th, while a breakthrough, wasn't enough to save him.

It's actually quite unfair to compare Moris to Jason, because Jason honestly is 10-12 points better than Moris, even without a quad.

Brown was overscored. It is not necessary to look only at Kvitelashvili. It is also obvious in comparison with Jin Boyang and Ten. Did you forget that today it is no longer imaginable that a skater who does only double jumps could be a serious competitor to skaters with triples?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Most of them are Western judges so obviously they would be more biased toward US than China.

That seems doubtful. Which Western ( do you mean non-Asian?) judge would favor the US? I can't think of any. Even close neighbor Canada is hardly biased in favor of the US. Boyang skated very well today but so did Nathan, except for the fall. Is it really evidence of bias against China that Boyang scored slightly lower than Nathan in PCS?

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Woah, Hanyu & Chen only 5th, 6th after SP - that is rather shocking. Hanyu SP is truly doubled-edged sword this season for him. Very risky but he knows what he's up to.

If Fernandez skates clean I don't see chance for Hanyu for reclaiming his Worlds Title trailing 10+ points Uno, Fernandez & Chan really nailed their performances - they were so crisp! Quad Flip cheated technique from Uno still bugs me, he rotates like 3/4 of revolution before leaving the ice but otherwise I am fascinated by him and the amount of crossovers don't bother me at all in his case. I expected him to be in strong contention for podium and he does not let me down. With some luck his first Senior Worlds medal could be even Gold but that's a long shot.

The level was incredible 93+ was enough only to finish 7th in this segment.

Misha Ge was absolutely breathtaking / mesmerizing as well as Deniss Vasiljevs in two different ways, both received some standing ovations :) I agree that Deniss' Step Sequence was to die for and he rocked the hell out of this program.

Cheesy, but effective fun delivered well by Majorov & Kvitelashvili (I would like his Components higher ...). See you in LP, good job. :)

Also kudos for Brown for PB and setting himself nicely for top 10 finish overall (I also liked his stylish costume / jacket) and for Boyang Jin for clean skate and for Boyangman shimmies.

Stephan Walker from Switzerland had my favourite spins today, unique positions and strong execution. Swiss never fail to stun me in that ;-)

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
So my notes for today, arena is great, warm, not too big not too small, audience is very very supportive, presentators are fun. Irrelevant info, in the arena there is sauna also!
So great competition, best sp I ve seen live, I ve missed watching skating, the first two groups were really great, Jinseo Kim crying was so cute, Julian Yes has a great audience, for Reynolds I thought his pcs were low, he lit up the audience, kudos to Mayorov music, I loved his 3ax by the way, Moros K I noted down "party music", Stephan Walker Swiss spins <3, Brendan Kerry is lovely <3, great audience reception , Paul Fentz was really great as well!
My fav group was 4th, for all kind of reasons!!!
Vasiliev and his coach(❤️) were cheered up AloT!!He is fast and just amazing spins and steps sq! First standing ovation!! Hendrix 's program was amazing, he has matured so much, never mind the fall! Tanaka had the 2nd Tango of the day, ( and that moment you realize how many fans have come from Japan:))
Misha Ge was the crowd favorite, rooting for him!
We got a Mishin interview on the break!
Next group, Boyong spider music was funny but great finale! Dennis Ten, maybe my fav program of the day! Best step sq! First time I saw Nathan Chen, shame about axel!
Kolyada is crowd fav as well, cheesy program! Brezina seems to skate since ever and with same music & costume but he Is a veteran now so, we root for veterans!We met Verner in the corridors!

Hanyu, what can I say for the deduction, I wanted to see this program live, he has changed so much since I saw him in Sochi, big SO and hundrend of gifts, his reaction in KnC precious! Shoma Uno gave me Daisuke Vibes, he looks diva, great program, he is more spectacular live!
Kovtun was injured in warm up so audience cheered for him, he looks good, Patrick Chan has a great sp, great choreo and music , he is light and fast, I like him more now! What can I say for Fernandez, he sells his program totally, huge fan support, he looks matured, I don't believe he is already 25!!( although I thought his marks were too high comparing to Uno), and finally I decided every competition should end with Jason Brown, great program, big crowd pleaser to end, as the cherry on top!
* I have pairs notes also

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Probably should point out that the BV for Moris is 38.43. Jason's BV was 38.30. Any advantage he had with a quad was eradicated by only doing a 4T-2T combo and having two level 3 spins.

There's probably a case again for quad combos to have a better BV as obviously a 4T-2T/3F is harder than than a 3F-3T/3Z, but that's how the points work out at the moment.

whole post

seniorita, I'm so delighted to see you here. :) Thank you for sharing your experience.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Brown was overscored. It is not necessary to look only at Kvitelashvili. It is also obvious in comparison with Jin Boyang and Ten. Did you forget that today it is no longer imaginable that a skater who does only double jumps could be a serious competitor to skaters with triples?

None of these arguments support so far the statement "Brown was overscored". Unless of course your argument is that anyone who attempts a quad or lands a quad a priori should have their entire program scored more highly than someone who does not.

Luckily, that is not how the scoring system is set up. And Jason earned every point he received.

Last edited:

Lambari

Final Flight
FS will be interesting for me because of these questions:

1) Will Javier deliver again at Worlds now that he finally has actual pressure to win?

2) How will Patrick perform now that he is once again in contention for a Worlds medal? Right now, is a clean Patrick enough for gold?

3) How will Shoma fair up now that he is graduating from international bronzes/silvers and he's so close to Worlds gold?

4) Based on previous competitions, Nathan seems fine with keeping leads, but will he be able to play catch up?

Cue dramatic soundtrack.

I believe these are all new situations for them, or at least new in a big stage. Of course, they already had an 'elusive' pressure going into the event but everything is different when you're out there in the open.

Yuzuru's been there, done that, so not much of a question. Just the usual Yuzuru induced heart-attack. And Boyang still has all chances to medal.

There's 11,72 points between 1st and 6th.

The difference between Javier and Yuzuru in Boston SP was 12,04. :coffee:

actually, I will also post this at the FS thread, since it seems more relevant.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

I think Brown was only very slightly overscored... maybe about 44 PCS. He was certainly better than Kolyada and even with Chen doing an extra rotation on the flip and lutz Brown's performance was superior IMO... and that SP deserved over 91. If Takahashi/Lysacek in 2010 can get 90 points, Brown should be 91/92 at least. Either way, he's in 8th.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Ok, I'll loose my mind right know. Things are getting stranger with every piece of information. With that crazy transitions and SS and etc?? I mean sorry but Javi s and Yuzus stsq are just incomparable !!

Are you saying Hanyu should be getting higher GOE on his StSq than Fernandez LOL. He'll struggle to reach level 3 if he did that Malagueña program. I seem to remember last season he did those excruciatingly slow and sloppy level 3 StSq fairly often. He's actually improved remarkably this year but I still wouldn't put him on Ten's level or Fernandez which is what your implying.