2017 World Ladies FS | Page 109 | Golden Skate

2017 World Ladies FS

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just watched Ashley's LP on NBC. Honestly tight or not and flawed or not this was my favorite of all her LPs and I think she connected with it beautifully. I hope she keeps it for next year but she most likely won't.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Karen truly is a firecracker! I love her skating and that program had potential to be boring to no end and she kept me into it anyway. Her SP is a masterpiece...the FS is alright though ;)

frida80

Record Breaker
Just watched Ashley's LP on NBC. Honestly tight or not and flawed or not this was my favorite of all her LPs and I think she connected with it beautifully. I hope she keeps it for next year but she most likely won't.

I just started watching with Karen. Wow... It was so much better without Tara and Johnny talking.

Looks like they've decided to skip Anna's freeskate. That makes me relieved and very sad somehow.

Last edited:

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I actually like Karen's LP a lot. It plays to her strengths. Even with the mistakes it was a compelling skate. Her elevation and ice coverage and flow on her jumps are very good.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Always fun to watch Zhenia slay everyone at worlds. So much precision! It amazing and I think for the first time I actually enjoyed that FS as a program. Crowd gave her the credit she deserved for her effort too.

They skipped Anna? Probably for the best :cry:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lol...she was laughing when the announcer called out her score in his awesome WWE announcer voice :laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've been hot/cold on Gabby.....now I'm just a bit meh. I'm probably in the minority but I don't really like her jumps and feel they disrupt the flow and character of her programs. To much up and not enough focus on the edge out but that's just my taste I guess. That said...it's kind of fun to watch a wildish skater perform so well and get rewarded for it. Good on her for seizing on the moment. Nice kid who probably worked her tail off-road get here. Congrats Gabby!

:clap:

Eta: Easy on the PCS judges :shocked:

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kaetlyn has it all and the potential to really be great. Love her jumps and smooth transitions into and out of the elements. Very well rounded skater. For me though....that particular FS wasn't very well executed and she got a monster score anyway. Those judges always think they know more than I do. Oh well. Scores are scores. Interesting to discuss but but unhealthy to dwell upon. To the Olympic season we go. :popcorn:

Last edited:

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yeah I was less impressed with Gabby on second viewing. Big strong jumps but Osmond more the total package. Zhenia was awesome. What a competitor. Deserved two-time champ.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah I was less impressed with Gabby on second viewing. Big strong jumps but Osmond more the total package. Zhenia was awesome. What a competitor. Deserved two-time champ.

To the men's thread we go? ;)

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Osmond has powerful jumps, but her axis on them is so tilted I always wonder if she's going to complete her jumps cleanly.

Lipea

Final Flight
Karen truly is a firecracker! I love her skating and that program had potential to be boring to no end and she kept me into it anyway. Her SP is a masterpiece...the FS is alright though ;)

Her SP is very flat... even TAT recognized it. Wakaba's SP is a masterpiece, masterfully performed after which she should have been in the last group... maybe it would save Japanese ladies a spot.

Lipea

Final Flight
Osmond has powerful jumps, but her axis on them is so tilted I always wonder if she's going to complete her jumps cleanly.

Still, she again did not do a 7-triple program (never ever did) which in my mind throws her off as a contender for gold in Koera.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Her SP is very flat... even TAT recognized it. Wakaba's SP is a masterpiece, masterfully performed after which she should have been in the last group... maybe it would save Japanese ladies a spot.

I don't always trust Tat's judgement although I always welcome her comments. Even when she said Gubanova's Swan was a duck I just went about my business :mad:

I like Wakababy too.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Still, she again did not do a 7-triple program (never ever did) which in my mind throws her off as a contender for gold in Koera.

Pretty crazy you can score a 140 something with errors these days.

Lipea

Final Flight
I don't always trust Tat's judgement although I always welcome her comments. Even when she said Gubanova's Swan was a duck I just went about my business :mad:

I like Wakababy too.

Did she? Oh, how bad, Gubanova is the best swan one would wish to be. I just mentioned because she made it sound what I thought. Music in Karen's sp lacks any kind of drama/movement/development, plus white dress, and somewhat generic choreo, makes it flat overall. Wakaba's SP was on the other hand was a completely opposite experience, and here I agree with TAT too lol. I would swap Karen and Wakaba's places after SP.

Lipea

Final Flight
Pretty crazy you can score a 140 something with errors these days.

Exactly, which makes me think then if she had 7-triples and cleaner landings, she could be on Medvedeva's level scorewise. But so far I've neven seen Osmond skating LP with 7-triples, not mentioning 7 clean triples.

jaylee

Medalist
Exactly, which makes me think then if she had 7-triples and cleaner landings, she could be on Medvedeva's level scorewise. But so far I've neven seen Osmond skating LP with 7-triples, not mentioning 7 clean triples.

Osmond can build on this with the confidence of a world silver medalist. No, she hasn't had a history of 7 clean triples, but first step was getting a FS free of falls and major errors at a major competition with a clean SP. Done. Now she can build towards doing a perfect FS with all 7 clean triples.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I just started watching with Karen. Wow... It was so much better without Tara and Johnny talking.

Looks like they've decided to skip Anna's freeskate. That makes me relieved and very sad somehow.

NBC managed to suck all the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat out of their portrayal of the ladies free....without Mai and Anna, etc they might as well have just showed EM and have been done with it.
I am trying to think of one thing that Johnny and Tara said that added to my enjoyment of the ladies coverage.....but its not happening......I was much happier watching INW and reading the posts here.....