2017 World Team Trophy - Day 1 | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2017 World Team Trophy - Day 1

NordEsque

On the Ice
Ayyy.... or, you know, he could have just had a bad day like any other skater does.

Yeesh, it's like every time he doesn't skate perfectly people are like "Is he injured? Someone must have said something to anger him. He must be sick." None of the other skaters get that coddling/speculation/etc. when they have an off-day. Where was all the speculation that Javier was angered/injured/sick at the GPF FS or Worlds FS? Or where was said speculation after Anna's Worlds FS, when she'd be lighting it up all season?

Might very well be a bad day, probably so. I think since he has so many fans on here that is simply why there is so much speculation. But didn't people speculate on Javier's bad FS and the cause of Anna's falls? I'm not very active here on GS, but I have read here and there on the internet people speculating that Anna was injured (back injury, apparently she was wearing something at practice?) and Javier got nervous due to all the noise (which he himself and Brian confirmed to be true). I also remember reading that Javier's GPF performance was due to him not having trained enough due to other commitments (that's what Brian and himself said). I think it is simply a question of more fans --> more speculation :)

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think it's little too tough just say to athlete "you have to leave everything what bothering you behind and stay calm".
Same thing was about Anna.
Of course there's a responsibility and no one want to destroy her/his program. But they all are human beings eventually. With own feelings and problems. Not jumping machines.

Agreed. I'm saying people should acknowledge that they are humans, prone to bad days, instead of speculating the reason they performed poorly was health-related or federation-related or whatever reason they/someone else comes up with.

But regarding staying calm, particularly a champion like Hanyu (even with the pressure he faces) should be used to that, although, yes, he's human too. Yes, something could be wrong, but for such speculation to be the knee-jerk reaction to each subpar performance, isn't exactly fair to each of the other skaters who also have their own issues to deal with on and off the ice.

Last edited:

NordEsque

On the Ice
Yep, true true Nika09 and CanadianSkaterGuy, they are only human and perhaps we should all acknowledge that a bit more :agree:

thoakun

Final Flight
I love Lena's funky SP so much that I don't mind her to keep it for another season to work on skating skills, jumps and posture. That's masterpiece.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
Yuzuru needs to lose to Shoma now. Everybody knows it's going to happen at some point. Better now in front of the home crowd so that:

1. He realizes it's not the end of the world and moves on
2. Some pressure gets off him and on Shoma from the jsf and the fans

Uh oh... that's an absolute disaster for Hanyu. :cry: Even PCS won't save him. :(

A crying emoji and that second sentence... it was irony right?

friedbeefmince

On the Ice
Yuzuru needs to lose to Shoma now. Everybody knows it's going to happen at some point. Better now in front of the home crowd so that:

1. He realizes it's not the end of the world and moves on
2. Some pressure gets off him and on Shoma from the jsf and the fans

A crying emoji and that second sentence... it was irony right?

:/ Why can't someone be sad for his performance?

What? Did we watch a different competition? :eek:hwell:

Lol when the scores came up there was a little 'SB' in the box next to his score ? ETA: As I was watching, the tech boxes for all the performances were really weird? Like numbers were going up and down like mad and whole elements were added on and off...

Last edited:

asiacheetah

On the Ice
How did the 3.25F look live?

Opposite side of the rink. Hard to see. I remember it traveled pretty far. Still not very high. Do I think his deserved a 3 GOE while Yuzu's a 2.something? HELL NO!
Oh sorry thought you were talking about his 3A.

The 4F was right in front of me. It was very low and it looked like he botched the landing.

Klarnet

On the Ice
Ayyy.... or, you know, he could have just had a bad day like any other skater does.

Yeesh, it's like every time he doesn't skate perfectly people are like "Is he injured? Someone must have said something to anger him. He must be sick." None of the other skaters get that coddling/speculation/etc. when they have an off-day. Where was all the speculation that Javier was angered/injured/sick at the GPF FS or Worlds FS? Or where was said speculation after Anna's Worlds FS, when she'd be lighting it up all season?

He has already had bad days throughout his career with pops and falls, but he stayed competitive from start to end. This particular speculation is based on how well it all was written on his face and his body language. Be it gloomy Javier instead, the speculation would be the same

Interspectator

Record Breaker

Lol when the scores came up there was a little 'SB' in the box next to his score ? ETA: As I was watching, the tech boxes for all the performances were really weird? Like numbers were going up and down like mad and whole elements were added on and off...

Something was off with the scorebox, the numbers were going up and down like crazy and a bunch of skaters got a SB mark even if it wasn't in the scores.

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

Yes, the score box and the Season's Best thing at the end were off....still Shoma did NOT pop a jump! Compared to Worlds he didn't do a 4-3 but a 4-2 instead, but that wasn't popping. I mean, I get that people always complain that Shoma is overscored and all, but let's keep the facts straight, okay? Just accept that he leads here, and is deserving of that lead.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
He has already had bad days throughout his career with pops and falls, but he stayed competitive from start to end. This particular speculation is based on how well it all was written on his face and his body language. Be it gloomy Javier instead, the speculation would be the same

I think that the more competitive skater gets, the more successful he is, the level of speculation and scrutiny over his smallest gesture or expression is getting more insane/on absurd level...I understand the strength of 'bond' formed with a skater, his performance, character, personality, but I do wish there would be more 'room for breathing' left inside of that relation. I tend to use a technique I once got taught with that in such situation I try to realise what would give the most relieve - and consideration, understanding and support (even not very vocal) would be the best in my opinion.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Kolyada's 3A could the most underrated thing ever.

I mean yes Shoma has more transitions in and out than Mikhail on that element but what about the flow, the height and the distance?

Though i'm already happy that at least this time Jason has lower GOEs on that element (his 3A is soooo telegraphed, it's not even a +2 in my book)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Did anyone notice the official or someone with the rabbit, and elephant headband? Behind one of the judges at the beginning of the broadcast -Gold medal for him!+3GOE and 10 in PCS for his performance. He was doing rabbit motions like a loony. I loved it. :points:

yude

Record Breaker
I haven't read the whole thread but according to the Japanese broadcast, Nathan doesn't do 4L because he hurt his ankle (they didn't say which one).

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I think that the more competitive skater gets, the more successful he is, the level of speculation and scrutiny over his smallest gesture or expression is getting more insane/on absurd level...I understand the strength of 'bond' formed with a skater, his performance, character, personality, but I do wish there would be more 'room for breathing' left inside of that relation. I tend to use a technique I once got taught with that in such situation I try to realise what would give the most relieve - and consideration, understanding and support (even not very vocal) would be the best in my opinion.

I think it's okay to speculate a bit. I mean, that's the fun in a discussion. Let's look at the introduction before the warm up: Yuzuru looked angry. I don't think it was intenseness, it looked like anger to me. Shoma looked scared. Like someone scolded him. Who knows what happened before, backstage. Brian Orser wasn't here, so he couldn't do his magic with Yuzuru, so it seemed like Yuzuru was still in that mindset when he took the ice. While Fluffy for example was with Shoma and he was all smiles again after being with her at the boards. When Yuzuru has a simple 'off' day he doesn't act like this. And didn't he say at Worlds he doesn't want to do WTT? Maybe some higher up person did say something to him and Shoma....

friedbeefmince

On the Ice
Yes, the score box and the Season's Best thing at the end were off....still Shoma did NOT pop a jump! Compared to Worlds he didn't do a 4-3 but a 4-2 instead, but that wasn't popping. I mean, I get that people always complain that Shoma is overscored and all, but let's keep the facts straight, okay? Just accept that he leads here, and is deserving of that lead.

I was just trying to account for the "SB" confusion. There was no insinuation that he was overscored. Regardless of whether he did a quad-triple or quad-double, I believe his performance was the best of the night. He deserves his lead. I don't think many are questioning this?

Anyways, this is the last time he's performing this short program I think? A great performance, to match a great program <3

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I think it's okay to speculate a bit. I mean, that's the fun in a discussion. Let's look at the introduction before the warm up: Yuzuru looked angry. I don't think it was intenseness, it looked like anger to me. Shoma looked scared. Like someone scolded him. Who knows what happened before, backstage. Brian Orser wasn't here, so he couldn't do his magic with Yuzuru, so it seemed like Yuzuru was still in that mindset when he took the ice. While Fluffy for example was with Shoma and he was all smiles again after being with her at the boards. When Yuzuru has a simple 'off' day he doesn't act like this. And didn't he say at Worlds he doesn't want to do WTT? Maybe some higher up person did say something to him and Shoma....

He didn't say he didn't want to do WTT, but he talked with Patrick about needing to go to WTT because he had won worlds. He did say that he didn't want to do 'nationals' in a joking way to Chan, after seeing Shoma's scores. --The connection is not really there for me. An off day, is an off day. Something may have caused it, but that happens to athletes from time to time, they just need to figure out what went wrong and fix it.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Kolyada's 3A could the most underrated thing ever.
I mean yes Shoma has more transitions in and out than Mikhail on that element but what about the flow, the height and the distance?
Though i'm already happy that at least this time Jason has lower GOEs on that element (his 3A is soooo telegraphed, it's not even a +2 in my book)

Mikhail has magical 3A and 3Lz