2017 World Team Trophy - Day 1 | Page 48 | Golden Skate

2017 World Team Trophy - Day 1

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Nathan's balleric qualities are evident in the SP and so beautiful to watch. I can watch him all day even without his quads or any jump. I was also a bit surprised that the Japanese audience welcomed him warmly.

It is a pity that he had to take out 4Lz in his layouts, but his 4F-3T at here is the best execution so far. :love: His previous 4F combos had always been improvisation after he botched his 4Lz, so they had some stalks between 4F and 3T. However, how nicely he jumped the combo this time! He looked a bit pale and his 3A is the jump that he has to overcome. Nevertheless, I enjoyed his performance overall and think he is underscored. I read he will take out 3Loop as well along with 4Lz (perhaps 3lz too?), so hope he has enough stamina to pull off the FS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEUeAiGrvU0

Last edited:

Nika09

On the Ice
thank god I long time ago lost my interest to exact scores, especially in Ladies discipline, but agree about skaters - hope no one will get themselves too attached to that numbers. I'm naïve like that to think that mature, passionate and ambitious athletes would focus their energy and attention onto their own performances, good or bad ones, and take lessons from it for the future, no really taking scores into bigger consideration. For example Wakaba, Elena or Mai - such a boost form them regarding clean, spirited performances (and Elena's fight for combo from what I've read), that should be a focus point for them, not winner's score/'WR record' new score.

We can complain, but will it change anything? I don't think so. I would rather focus myself on greater things, leaving little time for fuming over scoring/judging (I'm not good at those anyway...:slink:)
K

If it continue that way (and taking into consideration seems it will) I unfortunately will completely lost interest to whole discipline. Because for me it's really hard to watch when there's consistently no appropriate rewards for performances.

But you're right, complaining won't change anything eventually.

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
most of them are teenagers or twentysomething. Not everybody ditches their youthful glee into the trash when they hit 18. Not sure what's so weird about people having innocent stupid fun at an event that shouldn't be taken too seriously anyway. Oh well.....
Indeed, and seems to me a lot of skaters actually are rather childish and innocent (I mean that in a good way) - because they spend all their time training, often during unsociable hours, most of their lives. Many of them don't get to "grow up" like regular people, experience "life" like we do... or become cold, jaded and cynical internet forum posters... :p

Last edited:

itsakurinut

Rinkside
After watching some videos of the Ladies' event, I found myself so very charmed by Team France's ladies (I'm already a fan of Teams JP, USA, and RU) <3
I hope I'm not the only one feeling this way.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Indeed, and seems to me a lot of skaters actually are rather childish and innocent (I mean that in a good way) - because they spend all their time training, often during unsociable hours, most of their lives. Many of them don't get to "grow up" like regular people, experience "life" like we do... or become cold, jaded and cynical internet forum posters... :p

Yes, I don't see what is wrong with having one silly fluff competition at the end of the season. Back in the days when there was a pro circuit there were plenty of ridiculous fluff competitions. Anyway, the majority of the skaters look like they are genuinely into it & having fun, and the ones that aren't are not really pretending (Yuzuru ;) ). It's easy enough to avoid if you don't like it, but for some reason the cranks feel compelled to watch and complain anyway. :scratch2:

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
1. He already knows that, as it's not the first time he lost the SP to Shoma.
2. As if Shoma has no pressure from the fed....and the fans? If you're a Yuzuru fan you want him to do well and don't suddenly go like, oh Yuzuru messed up, let's put our expectations on Shoma instead. Well maybe if you're a nationalist who doesn't care for individuals and only for Japan's glory.

I mean actually lose to Shoma on the whole SP+FS, which I don't remember happening in an international ISU event.

Well Shoma has less pressure. And if you are a casual fan, then you cheer (and put pressure on) for the top dog. So it wouldn't hurt to relocate pressure from the less passionate fans.

catchie

On the Ice
I have a stupid question. There is definitely a new skaters' announcement box with new styling and new fonts. Is it going to stay like that for the next season or is it some temporary effect just for WTT?

Tulipstar

Medalist
After watching some videos of the Ladies' event, I found myself so very charmed by Team France's ladies (I'm already a fan of Teams JP, USA, and RU) <3
I hope I'm not the only one feeling this way.
You're not the only one! Will check to see if they have fan fests here when I get home 😊

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I mean actually lose to Shoma on the whole SP+FS, which I don't remember happening in an international ISU event.

Well Shoma has less pressure. And if you are a casual fan, then you cheer (and put pressure on) for the top dog. So it wouldn't hurt to relocate pressure from the less passionate fans.

He hasn't lost, yet. ;)

Casual fans rooting for the top dog? Are there many like that for figure skating?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
A crying emoji and that second sentence... it was irony right?

Well, I was genuinely sad to see him perform/react after like that (Chan too was clearly upset too after his skate and it seemed an effort to even bow to the crowd). The competition was going pretty well up until Chan/Hanyu, and I wanted them to ride the momentum of Chen/Brown/Uno/Jin. I absolutely love the Prince SP so I would have loved to see him nail it at least once this season, and on home ice would have been so epic.

The second sentence was a bit tongue-in-cheek, I'll admit, but I am SO tired of seeing PCS save skaters. Hanyu should have been behind Besseghier. I know he's not the greatest skater, but Chafik must have felt pretty awful to be placed behind a guy who essentially doesn't do 2 jumps out of 4 (solo jump pop + no combo triple), when he skated a clean performance with a quad, thanks to generous PCS for Hanyu of 45.89 (including a ton of 9.25/9.50s). And yes, my PCS saving frustration applies to Chan as well, who should not have gotten over 45 PCS either, with a fall and a tripled quad/stepout error.

Both guys had two very visible errors, including Chan with a fall and Hanyu skating like he was "over it" as some people have mentioned, and to get awarded 45+ PCS is absolutely outrageous... I would have had them at 42-43.... Jason Brown should have received at least 2 points higher PCS than either of those two guys. Shame on the judges.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
This is a serious question so no laughing. Why do Men with great quads have so much trouble landing a clean 3A. Nathan was spectacular with his quads and his 3A was by far his weakest jump. I realize that it came out of a spread eagle but still....Patrick has had the same problem and so did Stefan Lambiel.

By the way, I just saw Ashley's SP on YouTube and it was awesome. Med, however, is still the queen. I just love that girl.....Now, I want her to go home after this event and have a gigantic bowl of Borscht and Meatballs Topped with sour cream. Followed by a big piece of Black Forest Cake. She is so thin and I'm sure she hasn't had much rest following her second whirlwind season in a row. What a Diva....:bow:

Last edited: