2017 CS Nebelhorn Mens FS | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2017 CS Nebelhorn Mens FS

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
yes SOK (swedish olympic comitee) is known for being stupid and not sending athletes who qualify. But lets hope they send him!
The requirement is you must show top 8 form in CS or GP (wheter it means get top 8 in one comp or get a score that would place you 8th in the olympics is rather unclear)

When SOK denies athletes going they have been known to change treir mind if the outcry is loud enough

Oh for goodness sake, tell them to collect more tax revenue from Ikea, Skype and Spotify and send him. Don't look petty and stupid.

LeeJiHye19

Final Flight
There is. Majorov needs to score 260 so that Swedish fed lets him go to the Olympics. If they don't, Michael gets the spot.

Just to clarify, I want to see MCM at the Olympics but if Swedish fed doesn't let Alexander in it's heartbreaking.

EDIT: It's apparently the Swedish Olympic Committee that is dumb.

It will be stupid and unfair for Alexander

nimi

Medalist
yes SOK (swedish olympic comitee) is known for being stupid and not sending athletes who qualify. But lets hope they send him!
The requirement is you must show top 8 form in CS or GP (wheter it means get top 8 in one comp or get a score that would place you 8th in the olympics is rather unclear)

When SOK denies athletes going they have been known to change treir mind if the outcry is loud enough
Well, he does have a pretty :sad21: backstory with the situation with his father and the bone marrow thing... But let's hope there will be no need for dragging that up to make the SOK see the light...

vavavoom

Rinkside
Do we know until when Alexander Majorov has to score these 260 points? Does he at least have a chance to do this until Europeans?

What a ridiculous requirement. Also, correct me if I am wrong; do countries that qualified spots at Nebelhorm have to confirm them before January (as in accepting them)? This is what I read in another thread. So what's going to happen? Sweden confirms his spot now and then withdraws him in January?

I love MCM, but it is clear that the 6 guys that qualified here dominated the competition as a whole, and imvho another result would have been unjustified.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
These 2nd and 3rd place trophies should be handed out with a magnifying glass, they're so small! that's kinda embarrassing... :eek::

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I mean, what if Matilda also qualifies a spot, will SOC let her (or another lady) go and not Majorov? Will they not let any Swedish athlete go and give up their spots?

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Just to be clear, it's not the Swedish Fed, they are supporting him. It's the Swedish Olympic Committee that is being stupid. Hopefully the Fed will pull all the strings it has but we have to wait and see.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. Doesn't change the fact it's freaking stupid. (I want to use the f-word so much for this situation.)

Also, isn't Norwegian OC similarly stupid? They didn't send female skaters to OG 1994 even though they were eligible right? Guess Skandinavians can be dumb sometimes, I guess they prefer snow over ice.

Also: I'm being sarcastic if you didn't get it.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I wonder how the Swedish Olympic Committee decided that 260 was the magic number. It seems the Committee only wants to send athletes that place in the top 8 or higher to go to the Olympics. I wonder if they're like that with EVERY sport or if only some sports have a harder time of it than others.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I can understand countries having requirements and benchmarks for skaters to meet.

But if a skater outright earns a spot for their country (and isn't just given it based on a continental representation rule, like gymnastics has) they should be able to use that spot, barring injury. Setting ridiculous score requirements is stupid.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Ok, thanks for clarifying. Doesn't change the fact it freaking stupid. (I want to use the f-word so much for this situation.)

Also, isn't Norwegian OC similarly stupid? They didn't send female skaters to OG 1994 even though they were eligible right?
It was Denmark in 1994 (Anisette Torp-Lind)
Norway was in that predicament for Sochi, and after a looong debate, they finally agreed to send Anne Line Gjersem :)

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
I wonder how the Swedish Olympic Committee decided that 260 was the magic number. It seems the Committee only wants to send athletes that place in the top 8 or higher to go to the Olympics. I wonder if they're like that with EVERY sport or if only some sports have a harder time of it than others.

How they came to the number 260 i dont know but SOK are this stupid with almost every sport

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
I mean, what if Matilda also qualifies a spot, will SOC let her (or another lady) go and not Majorov? Will they not let any Swedish athlete go and give up their spots?

They most likely have an equally ridicolus requirement for the ladies. But in ladies there are 4 possible ladies (Algotsson, Helgesson, Östlund, Olsson) who might take the spot in mens only majorov is good enough.
They have also been known to be kinder to young athletes who might be able to reach the ridiculus requirement for the next olympics.
ie. Algotsson and Östlund are both young and might get a pass.

LeeJiHye19

Final Flight
I can understand countries having requirements and benchmarks for skaters to meet.

But if a skater outright earns a spot for their country (and isn't just given it based on a continental representation rule, like gymnastics has) they should be able to use that spot, barring injury. Setting ridiculous score requirements is stupid.

plus it's not a guarantee that having this score as requirement will make them on the top spot

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Do we know until when Alexander Majorov has to score these 260 points? Does he at least have a chance to do this until Europeans?

His PB is not even close, I am not sure it's really a matter of time here.

But Chemistry66 is especially right here, IMO. He earned it directly, it's not some automatic thing that happened to fall to Sweden. It really would be so unfair.