2017 GP NHK Mens FS | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2017 GP NHK Mens FS

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think there has always been surprises during olympic season, especially in men's placements. Maybe it is the pressure or people practice so hard, too hard for looking a medal in the Olympics, that they get injured. I am a fan almost everybody, especially men, but seniors success is a pleasant surprise.

moriel

Record Breaker
It's hard to let go, though. People thought they had time until after the Olympics to say goodbye to the beloved older generation. (And I'm not including Hanyu in this statement, he's still young)

Another reason why this podium here at NHK is so great. Saying goodbye in style! :dance3:

Or maybe they will keep skating still ;)

rain

Record Breaker
With his performance here, I think Keegan Messing put himself in serious consideration for the second Olympic spot for the Canadian men. I think Nic Nadeau is probably also in consideration. They'd be my top two at this point to take that second spot.

Further, I think Adam Rippon put himself in the American men's conversation, especially beating Jason Brown, essentially at his own game.

Kinga

Medalist
Yuzuru and Javi were just plain unlucky, but Patrick performed badly at SC and took himself out of the race. If other skaters outperform them, then they get the opportunity to rise up. The end.

So Javi was unlucky, but Patrick performed badly..:scratch:. Not sure if I understand

bixby

Final Flight
Maybe its a changing of the guard. Out with Hnayu, Chan and Fernandez; in with Chen, Jin and Uno. :)

I think the theme for this season is "expect the unexpected". The big names to this point is without a WIN.

1. RUS: Nathan Chen beat the favorite Yuzuru Hanyu
2. CAN: Shoma Uno beat the favorite Patrick Chan
3. CHN: Mikhail Kolyada beat the favorite Javier Fernandez
4. JPN: Sergie Voronov won, Yuzuru Hanyu injured
5. FRA: ______ (Javier, Shoma, Max, Vincent)
6. USA: ______ (Nathan, Sergie, Boyang, Adam)

At this point, it's almost impossible for Javier to qualify for the GPF even if he wins in FRA. Yuzuru & Patrick are definitely out.

So yeah, it looks like it's shaping out to be OUT with the OLD, IN with the NEW. It's adding a lot of excitement to this Olympic season! Contenders/favorites for GOLD are not just limited to two major players this time around like the battle of the Brians or Alexei Yagudin vs. Evegni Plushenko. Everybody has to bring their A game and be the BEST of the field.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I followed the competition live but I think I forgot to congratulate all the medalists. I missed the victory ceremony but the photos I've seen from it are amazing.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
"Big 6"? So someone anointed these 6 men as the very best and they're supposed to stay static season after season, and nobody else is allowed in this special club no matter what? Do people understand the concept of competition?

Yuzuru and Javi were just plain unlucky, but Patrick performed badly at SC and took himself out of the race. If other skaters outperform them, then they get the opportunity to rise up. The end.

Why is Javi plain unlucky, with a 6th place and Patrick 4th place just a bad performance taking him out of the race...? In reality, Javi had a bad performance that took him out of the race... Patrick reset his goals... One can imagine that he may have podium here if he had shown up. With his "bad" performance at Skate Canada, he still had 90 points in his SP.

I am not sure I understand your concept of luck here... I would put Javi and Patrick in the same category : both performed under the expectations on their first GP. Maybe I missed something:confused2:

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Maybe I missed something:confused2:

As has already been said in this thread, Javi was ill at Cup of China. So were a couple of others, there was a thread about it on the Edge.
Also Brian was (and still is) recovering from surgery, so no coach either.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
As has already been said in this thread, Javi was ill at Cup of China. So were a couple of others, there was a thread about it on the Edge.

well... i knew he was ill... it happens all the time... some have the flu, some are jet lagged...

if we play that game : Patrick's flight was delayed from Detroit to Toronto.. He then missed his connection.. had to stay one night in Toronto, had to miss the morning practice... got to Regina, without costumes... without luggage.. Didn't know what he would do until at the last moment his costumes showed up...

I would call that a bunch of unlucky circumstances....

To me luck or chance is something that happens to you without your control.... like what happened to Patrick.

One can have "bad luck "with food in foreign countries, yet it is well-known that many athletes bring their own food at competitions...

One can have a bad jump that leads to injury, but to me that is why some people do not train quad lutzes and quad flips... because they don't want to get injured... that's more a risk versus reward thing.

YMMV

FYI : Brian was at Canadian Sectionals last weekend with Stephen Gogolev. He is fine.. He probably just decided not to travel for a while.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another reason why this podium here at NHK is so great. Saying goodbye in style! :dance3:

Maybe not. Adam hinted a few weeks ago that he might compete next year. Voronov and Bychenko could too.

But I do agree with you that if they choose this year to retire... going out at their personal top so to speak ... then that's great.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This might be the gold medal I remember the most from this season!! Sergei stepped up and took advantage and good for him!! Lots of people blow opportunities like this. Reading the touching translations of Adian and Yulia’s commentary shows the type of person he is and impact training with him had on them. I love the music and the way the he was able to connect with the crowd. This was a real treat to wake up to this morning!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOXH1NuVQAAk-jD.jpg

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Further, I think Adam Rippon put himself in the American men's conversation, especially beating Jason Brown, essentially at his own game.

Our B.Esp. commentators went one further. They said this FS performance puts Rippon in the conversation as being another USA hope for the Olympic podium... along with, and after his training mate Chen, of course.

I think the theme for this season is "expect the unexpected". ....
So yeah, it looks like it's shaping out to be OUT with the OLD, IN with the NEW. It's adding a lot of excitement to this Olympic season! Contenders/favorites for GOLD are not just limited to two major players this time around like the battle of the Brians or Alexei Yagudin vs. Evegni Plushenko. Everybody has to bring their A game and be the BEST of the field.

:2thumbs:ITA. The unexpected gives so much emotional umph and anticipation, going forward from this day!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Why was Keegan Messing's 3A called invalid?

He'd already done two 3Lzs and two 3Ts, so he couldn't repeat another triple. Really poor planning.

Why do you think that? Shoma for gold, but others are pretty even for silver after what we have seen so far... or did I miss something?

Let's see. First there's Uno who will almost certainly win regardless of how he actually skates. Then there's Fernandez who will get big marks no matter what he does too. He's also up against Bychenko and Samarin who are also bronze medallists from their first event and also looking to qualify. Then there's skaters like Ten and Ge who could pull an amazing performance out of nowhere and screw with the results too.

Oh, and then if the tech panel is a soft one, Zhou is brought into play.

Yeah, tell me all about how that ain't a hard field, especially looking at the one we just had.

Bcash

Final Flight
well... i knew he was ill... it happens all the time... some have the flu, some are jet lagged...

if we play that game : Patrick's flight was delayed from Detroit to Toronto.. He then missed his connection.. had to stay one night in Toronto, had to miss the morning practice... got to Regina, without costumes... without luggages.. Didn't know what he would do until at the last moment his costumes showed up...

I would call that a bunch of unlucky circumstances....

To me luck or chance is something that happens to you without your control.... like what happened to Patrick.

One can have "badluck "with food in foreign countries, yet it is well-know that many athletes bring their own food at competitions...

One can have a bad jump that leads to injury, but to me that is why some people do not train quad lutzes and quad flips... because they don't want to get injured... that's more a risk versus reward thing.

YMMV

FYI : Brian was at Canadian Sectionals last weekend with Stephen Gogolev. He is fine.. He probably just decided not to travel for a while.

But Patrick was physically fit, unless there's some underlying training issue that resulted in less optimal condition that cannot be perceived by the naked eye (which then puts the responsibility back onto him, rather than "luck"). A missing luggage really is quite a joke of an excuse for a bad performance for a skater of his level, unless you are saying he's mentally that weak. Fernandez, on the other hand, was physically unwell during a segment of the competition.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
But Patrick was physically fit, unless there's some underlying training issue that resulted in less optimal condition that cannot be perceived by the naked eye (which then puts the responsibility back onto him, rather than "luck"). A missing luggage really is quite a joke of an excuse for a bad performance for a skater of his level, unless you are saying he's mentally that weak. Fernandez, on the other hand, was physically unwell during a segment of the competition.

Patrick couldn't feel his legs in the LP. That's pretty physical... Have you ever missed connections and lost your luggage? I have. It does take a toll on the body when you are in a delayed plane, knowing you may miss your connection and then, when you are stranded in a hotel, knowing you may miss practice etc... and if on top of that your luggage doesn't show up.. well.. that's REAL BAD LUCK.

I have NEVER made any excuses for Patrick. He underperformed. Fair enough. Lots of factors like competing one last time in an international event at home can be part of the reasons so are the travel issues. Patrick didn't make excuses either.

My point is that one user called out Patrick yet gave a freepass to the other two, saying they were unlucky. That's all I am saying. I find it unfair to find excuses to some skaters and then just say, well Patrick underperformed... Patrick has no jumps... Patrick needs a jumping coach... Patrick should retire... these are all statements that have been posted on this forum repeatedly, and I do not think they are respectful.

YMMV