2017 GP NHK Mens FS | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2017 GP NHK Mens FS

Xzander

Rinkside
I don't really post in the forum and I find questioning judging decisions kinda pointless... BUT Rippon's PCS were way too low. He gave me life and everything I want from figure skating. (Then f.e. Judge 7 went and gave Bychenco higher scores in transitions, performance, composition and interpretation of music. I would really like to know her reasoning behind the scores.)

Icey

Record Breaker
Wonderful to see a skate like that of Voronov. Jason is stalled, stagnant, at least technically. His 3 ax is not solid the way he needs it to be under the circumstances. He is 22. The train has left the station and he needs to jump on it soon. If not, I suspect he will continue to give us enjoyable programs that are appreciated but aren't podium material. He's standing still, skating isn't.

Just found a video of Adams' skate: The skate of the season for me. Breathtaking. Moving.:thumbsup:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I'm sad Jason missed this opportunity. Hopefully he can be amazing at Nationals.

Great job Adam Rippon.

Voronov was boring. His skating hasn't improved at all the past 3 years, he's just been treading water. Maybe he can make the GPF now but I'm still not sure he will get an Olympic spot, Russia can go with that other younger guy who is doing Quad Lutz.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Voronov was boring. His skating hasn't improved at all the past 3 years, he's just been treading water. Maybe he can make the GPF now but I'm still not sure he will get an Olympic spot, Russia can go with that other younger guy who is doing Quad Lutz.

And yet he beat his PB by almost 20 points...not bad for "treading water." You think they should send the first year senior with zero artistry and zero choreography, who only got 250 points at Skate Canada, to the Olys over him just because he has a quad lutz? :rolleye:

The audience loved his "boring" skating so much they gave him 2 standing Os!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
This has been a surprise event even before it began with Chan and later also Hanyu withdrawing. Pleasant surprises were Voronov and Bychenko winning a medal and especially Voronov winning the event! I felt so happy for them both!!! It was also nice to have Rippon on the podium and winning a silver medal. Rippon´s next event will be Skate America where he meets Voronov again and there the podium finish will be more difficult for both than here, I think.

Wonderful to see a skate like that of Voronov. Jason is stalled, stagnant, at least technically. His 3 ax is not solid the way he needs it to be under the circumstances. He is 22. The train has left the station and he needs to jump on it soon. If not, I suspect he will continue to give us enjoyable programs that are appreciated but aren't podium material. He's standing still, skating isn't.

Brown will be 23 next month.

Voronov was boring. His skating hasn't improved at all the past 3 years, he's just been treading water...

Voronov is not boring. He's comfortable like an old shoe. Big jumps, big movements across the ice. An emotionally satisfying performance. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Plus, it's better to get first place than second or third. Congratulations to the guy.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Maybe its a changing of the guard. Out with Hnayu, Chan and Fernandez; in with Chen, Jin and Uno. :)

"Big 6"? So someone anointed these 6 men as the very best and they're supposed to stay static season after season, and nobody else is allowed in this special club no matter what? Do people understand the concept of competition?

Yuzuru and Javi were just plain unlucky, but Patrick performed badly at SC and took himself out of the race. If other skaters outperform them, then they get the opportunity to rise up. The end.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
And yet he beat his PB by almost 20 points...not bad for "treading water." You think they should send the first year senior with zero artistry and zero choreography, who only got 250 points at Skate Canada, to the Olys over him just because he has a quad lutz? :rolleye:

The audience loved his "boring" skating so much they gave him 2 standing Os!

And, he's got tons of charisma. That, to me, is one thing Aliev lacks at the moment, along with packaging.

Anyway, the highlights of this event for me were Sergei (go, late bloomers! woot! great job!), Adam (well deserved placement, and memorable, entertaining program!) and Kazuki (became a fan yesterday, lovely skating and fighting spirit!). While I love watching Jason, he looked sad today, as if he and some others are still dejected over Hanyu's withdrawal. (hey, he did have different pants, though, didn't he? it wasn't the ugly ones from SC?) Messing and Bychenko did very well, but I just can't warm up to their skating. And whoever came up with the music and outfit for Sato's LP, should be demoted (JK, just in case), neither did him service.

Nika09

On the Ice
Maybe its a changing of the guard. Out with Hnayu, Chan and Fernandez; in with Chen, Jin and Uno. :)

Yep, I think should get used to it. This season is going weird indeed.

Anyway, wishing speedy and full recovery for everyone with injuries and keep healthy for the rest!

"Big 6"? So someone anointed these 6 men as the very best and they're supposed to stay static season after season, and nobody else is allowed in this special club no matter what? Do people understand the concept of competition?

No one is claiming that it should and will be stay that way. It's just fluffy wording to characterized top Men usually taking highest places last few seasons. Nothing to take serious or personal about it.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Max and Jason and Joshua are my Golden Trio.

I am in a dark, dark mood right now. No Joshua. No Jason at GPF. Probably no Max at GPF because he has to fight against the toughest field in the GP next weekend. This is rapidly turning into a nightmare for me.

Why do you think that? Shoma for gold, but others are pretty even for silver after what we have seen so far... or did I miss something?

Why was Keegan Messing's 3A called invalid?

I think it was a Zayak violation. His 6th element was a 3T (intending 4T), So when he did a 3Lz+3T combination, he had repeated the 3Lz and the 3T. He couldn't then repeat the 3A. :(

Welcome to the forum; thanks for joining us.

farornaskonung

Rinkside
I think it was a Zayak violation. His 6th element was a 3T (intending 4T), So when he did a 3Lz+3T combination, he had repeated the 3Lz and the 3T. He couldn't then repeat the 3A. :(

Welcome to the forum; thanks for joining us.

Thank you for the welcoming and explanation :thank: I have followed figure skating for many years now, but I still have so much to learn about figure skating scoring. Golden skate is a very helpful way! :)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

It's hard to let go, though. People thought they had time until after the Olympics to say goodbye to the beloved older generation. (And I'm not including Hanyu in this statement, he's still young)

Another reason why this podium here at NHK is so great. Saying goodbye in style! :dance3: