2018 US nats Experiences & Practice Reports | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2018 US nats Experiences & Practice Reports

skaterlor

Rinkside
When will they announce whonis going to the Olympics? Is it right after nationals is over or is it after the free skate??

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When will they announce whonis going to the Olympics? Is it right after nationals is over or is it after the free skate??

I think the committee has a discussion after the free skate and then announce it. Not sure how long that takes but I think within an hour or two seems good enough.

Welcome to Golden Skate!!

ETA:: They will announce on Saturday

skaterlor

Rinkside
I think the committee has a discussion after the free skate and then announce it. Not sure how long that takes but I think within an hour or two seems good enough.

Welcome to Golden Skate!!
Thanks! I am taking my 11 yr old to nationals. We are coming from MN. She is a figure skater and lives and breathes it, so she is excited to hear the announcement!

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks! I am taking my 11 yr old to nationals. We are coming from MN. She is a figure skater and lives and breathes it, so she is excited to hear the announcement!

I found an article which seems to suggest they have 24hrs to announce the team at the conclusion of each discipline.

Morning of Saturday, Jan. 6 — Women
Morning of Sunday, Jan. 7 — Men/Pairs (possibly Saturday evening)
Afternoon of Sunday, Jan. 7 — Ice Dance

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/12/27/how-us-olympic-figure-skating-team-chosen/

edenlover

On the Ice
Skaterlor.......It will be one of the most exciting experiences of her young career. Just being at her first nationals is enough...but in an Olympic year it has to be even more special. My first US nationals was 2006 in St. Louis. It was an Olympic year. I was with my 80 year old mother and my 78 year-old mother in law. That year Inoue and Baldwin landed the first throw-triple axel ever, I remember the Queen's absence due to injury and subsequent placement on the team, Sasha's brilliant skate, and the three boys--Evan, Johnny, and Matt Savoy. There are so many memories I have that it's difficult to name them all. Seeing the future Olympic team compete was amazing! BTW--I was a not so young 52 myself!

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the info!

Well it was a set up all along ...now you owe me.

The price: One extra loud cheer for Mariah Bell ;)

Have fun and enjoy the show. Maybe you can even drop back in to share with us some of your experiences :)

skaterlor

Rinkside
It will be one of the most exciting experiences of her young career. Just being at her first nationals is enough...but in an Olympic year it has to be even more special. My first US nationals was 2006 in St. Louis. It was an Olympic year. I was with my 80 year old mother and my 78 year-old mother in law. That year Inoue and Baldwin landed the first throw-triple axel ever, I remember the Queen's absence due to injury and subsequent placement on the team, Sasha's brilliant skate, and the three boys--Evan, Johnny, and Matt Savoy. There are so many memories I have that it's difficult to name them all. Seeing the future Olympic team compete was amazing! BTW--I was a not so young 52 myself!
She went to nationals when it was here in St.Paul, MN. She had just started skating and learned so much from attending. She has progressed very quickly and loves the sport so much. She is rooting for Mirai. She spent a couple days training with her last summer and she absolutely adores her and respects her. I can't wait!!

Figure 8's

On the Ice
I agree. They should actually be spending their time helping cultivate the Juniors rather than hyping up Ashley and betting on an "ice princess" who hasn't proven herself outside of a couple of outings. Give Karen a good coach to fix the UR/mental problem and you literally have the next podium contender for everything, because she already has the PCS. Send Jr girls to more international events to help them gain momentum for the senior competitions.
I so agree with your statement. I also think it is time the USFS starts sending Younger Skaters to big international events instead of the same ones every year. That way when and if their turn comes, they don't have that deer in the headlights look. The Russians don't seem to have a problem with mixing it up and sending their younger skaters to these events and it has paid off big time for them.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max won't be at practice today. Just sayin'

*clutches to this desperately* Yes, hopefully that is it, maybe they had heavy air traffic and his plane landed late.

EDIT:

Apparently San Jose airport is currently in shutdown because of a suspicious package. FSU is reporting Sean Rabbitt is caught up in it. So maybe Max's flight was affected.

*stands down from panicking*

Re Max:

I spoke directly to TZ at Solar in San Jose (within the last hour or so).

Per TZ: Max is arriving today. But Max will not be at practice today.​

(I did not ask for an explanation.
Only my speculation:
Seems within the realm of possibility that Max's schedule all along was not to arrive in time for practice today?
Today's practice is at Solar4America Ice -- not at SAP Center, which is the competition rink.
Maybe one more practice at home was felt to be more productive?)​

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Perhaps if you weren't looking for proof of some theory you made up you would be less disgusted. LOL!

Seriously, I am not seeing that much more promotion of Bradie then some random downhill skier.... it's all just noise right now and the only people paying attention are on here LOL!

I am paying attention and I don't think the facts support your hysteria!

Sorry there's no hysteria here from me. I have had people who don't regularly watch skating like the people on here and say well what's with this Bradie, next Gracie Gold?
As far as a theory, I wasn't the first person to mention it, I just happen to be used to it from all my time in the sport, nothing more nothing less. YMMV

Agree to disagree.

I'm of two minds here. I mean other than Gracie Gold, who was the blonde ice princess that the USFS has been promoting? Didn't Nicole Bobek complain that Kwan got all the attention? Sure she wasn't the princess type, but she could look the part if USFS was THAT invested.

Nicole Bobek was the anti-princess. ;)

The only blond princessy skater that ever got any play that I can remember is Janet Lynn, if you count Tinkerbell as a Disney princess. But she was more pixie than princess. In fact, Janet Lynn looked more like Peter Pan. Oh well.

https://78.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3mtcd9piJ1ql8cp2o1_500.jpg

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If Mirai skates this week like she skated today at practice, not only she can win Nationals, but Olympics too. Amazing technical program, without any hesitation. It comes from me a non Mirai fan!

Her FS BV with every jump clean in her practice layout, level 4 spins and a level 3 step sequence (which she's gotten in both programs all season) would be:

3A - 8.50
3F3T - 9.60
3S - 4.40
CCoSp4 - 3.50
FCSp4 - 3.20
2A3T2T X - 9.79
3Lz2T X - 8.03
3F X - 5.83
StSq3 - 3.30
ChSq1 - 2.00
3Lo X - 5.61
LSp4 - 2.70

Total: 66.46

With everything clean except for 3A<, level 4 spins and a level 3 step sequence, it would be 63.86.

With everything rotated, that would give her a 3.7 point advantage in BV over Evgenia Medvedeva using her NHK FS BV, or 4.13 points over Zhenya's CoR BV. Even if they were even on GOE (which might be hard since Zhenya gets very high GOE), Mirai would also need much higher PCS to win the FS. At NHK, Zhenya got 74.80 in FS PCS and Mirai got 63.09. Zhenya got 76.11 at CoR.

And Alina Zagitova's FS BV at the final was 66.01, so Mirai barely has an advantage over her there, though Alina's PCS aren't as high as Zhenya's.

Not trying to be a downer, but Mirai winning the OGM is pretty unlikely. But if she keeps skating like that she's definitely got a good shot at the US title and a spot on the team.

Then you haven't been paying attention to the promos that are out there. The are a few other girls that don't fit the mold that had similar season to Bradie but you don't see the USFS throwing them in the limelight now do you? As for everything else, refer to what I've answered above to others.

My main point here is that the USFS has to STOP doing this to their ladies. They are breaking them down more than they are propping them up and it disgusts me.

Who's had a similar season to Bradie? I guess you mean Angela, since you're a big fan of hers (correct me if I'm wrong). I know you're not a fan of Bradie, and thought that Angela should have gotten the SA TBD over her. But whether or not you think that Bradie deserved the spot (I did), she took advantage of that opportunity. And saying others have had similar seasons to hers is just not accurate imo and dismisses how strong she's been.

Bradie: Broadmoor Open (190.76), Philadelphia 1st (184.98), Lombardia 4th (196.70), Skate America bronze (204.10)
Angela: Philadelphia 2nd (183.53), Finlandia 4th (183.85), Tallinn 5th (160.04)

Summer results were close, but Bradie's been stronger this fall.

Bradie is the only US lady to have broken 200 this season, is one of only 2 US ladies with a GP medal, and was the best US lady at the home GP where there is a bit more US media attention.

Angela is a lovely skater, who's been having a good season and who I'd love to see on the 4CC, or even the Olympic team if she were to place top 3. Bradie has had the best season of all the US ladies this season. Both of those things are true.

If she's getting promoted more than before, I'd say her results this season is a much better reason for that than LP music being Cinderella, though it's entirely possible that the USFSA is very happy that she's blonde and skating to princess music.

georgia

On the Ice
Ladies did well today. Mirai was not as good as she was yesterday. Ashley was perfect. Our little Bradie still rocking!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Re Max:

I spoke directly to TZ at Solar in San Jose (within the last hour or so).

Per TZ: Max is arriving today. But Max will not be at practice today.​

(I did not ask for an explanation.
Only my speculation:
Seems within the realm of possibility that Max's schedule all along was not to arrive in time for practice today?
Today's practice is at Solar4America Ice -- not at SAP Center, which is the competition rink.
Maybe one more practice at home was felt to be more productive?)​

Thankyou ice coverage! I will detach myself from the roof now.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Jasmine Fendi kept on skating w/ her twin brother after he accidentally cut her hand w/ his blade during their Novice Pairs FS. She FINISHED the entire program before showing how much pain she was in! The ice has just been resurfaced so the final 3 pairs can skate. #USChamps18

https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/948365632835346432

Err... is there normally a resurface at that point?