2018 US nats Experiences & Practice Reports | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2018 US nats Experiences & Practice Reports

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let me again clarify my original comment from a marketing and public relations point of view if Brady Tennell wins at Nationals and makes a good showing at the Olympics its a watershed for USFSA. It's an image that little girls can relate to and therefore will spur more participation and interest in the sport across all levels.

Why couldn't little girls relate to Karen Chen? She is young and cute.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Isn’t this thread for practice reports and personal experiences at US Nationals? :think:

Looking forward to more Mariah reports! :pray:

kimi492

Final Flight
Yes please let us stay on topic - Sr ladies practice is noon today PT and men’s is at 5pm - hoping to hear back from some of you on what you thought!

bixby

Final Flight
I thought there were more NEW practice report, I guess NOT...

What we got here are many opinions; some taking quadruple turns, others trippling down and others doubling it for GOE's.

Lot's of back and forth and not a whole lot of "ice coverage" folks. LOL

Let me again clarify my original comment from a marketing and public relations point of view if Brady Tennell wins at Nationals and makes a good showing at the Olympics its a watershed for USFSA. It's an image that little girls can relate to and therefore will spur more participation and interest in the sport across all levels.

Why couldn't little girls relate to Karen Chen? She is young and cute.

I absolutely agree with jenaj. I am constantly impressed with all the testimonials that pop up here and there by successful Millennials and Generation Xers about how influential Kristi Yamaguchi or Michelle Kwan were as role models during their childhoods.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I absolutely agree with jenaj. I am constantly impressed with all the testimonials that pop up here and there by successful Millennials and Generation Xers about how influential Kristi Yamaguchi or Michelle Kwan were as role models during their childhoods.

Yup yup yup, raise hands..

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
If young people could not relate to Karen Chen, then she wouldn't have gotten a publishing deal for a book aimed at young readers. Even if it didn't sell well (I don't know if it met expectations for a book like this or not), somebody at Harper Collins felt she was worth the effort.

I also fail to see how Bradie is being promoted over skaters who have had similar results. She's just getting promoted.

I'm of two minds here. I mean other than Gracie Gold, who was the blonde ice princess that the USFS has been promoting? Didn't Nicole Bobek complain that Kwan got all the attention? Sure she wasn't the princess type, but she could look the part if USFS was THAT invested. 1998 we had Tara and Michelle getting a lot of attention from the USFS though Kwan may have received more from the regular independent press after Nationals going into the Olympics as National Champion with a row of 6.0s. 2002, Kwan was KWAN by then but Sarah and Sasha were given ample amounts of screen time and Pro-Am/touring opportunities by the time 2002 hit. 2006, we had feisty ballerina Sasha Cohen and the Kwan before she withdrew. Cohen may have skated like a porcelain doll but a lot of press didn't really corner her in what I think fans mean when they say ice princess. In 2010 we had Rachel Flatt and Mirai Nagasu. Different types of skaters and the media couldn't get enough of precocious Nagasu during the Olympics. In 2014, Gracie fit the bill but Ashley was also getting tons of attention as well and became a meme.

However, I do see what people mean when they say American ladies have a certain look and skating style that coaches probably hammer to them at an early age. It's distinct from the more independent style of say European skaters (even if one argues the skating school jumping technique is the same). I even find Japanese skaters have a bit of individuality (Wakaba v. Sakamoto v. Satoko v. Hongo) but even they dress sort of similarly and aren't wearing body suits or pants (I think the last skaters I remember even seeing doing that was Suguri and Nakano). That said, I think a lot of American lady skaters actually like/love their look and want to dress that way as well.

Last note, Polina Edmund's style one could argue is very individualized and totally her, but she got a lot of flack from people because of her (or mom's) personal taste and felt the USFS should have taken a stronger hand in her grooming and packaging. It seems people want individual style but one that matches what THEY want to see in skating rather than wanting what the skater wants.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
:hijacked:

Regardless of whom gets promoted over who, I want the Oly team to be composed of the ones who earned it. If you want it, throw it all on the ice and show the world you deserve it. Leave no room for the doubters. :dev2:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I need to know...oh skate gods, please let him not have a niggling injury, or be sick, or have anything else in his life interfering with this moment...I just can't picture Max skipping practice for no reason...so there must be a reason... *clutching anxiously at throat*

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Heads up for those who want to watch practice... it appears that right now IN is streaming *both* arenas, which I found out when I went to go watch the intermediate free dance and stumbled into a practice group of men I don't recognize. There's two live streams going on, so... if you want to watch, have at it!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I need to know...oh skate gods, please let him not have a niggling injury, or be sick, or have anything else in his life interfering with this moment...I just can't picture Max skipping practice for no reason...so there must be a reason... *clutching anxiously at throat*

Could just be a flight delay or something like that.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Carolla5501

On the Ice
Actually, look at all the promo that's being done and you "might" see it. It's the same story, different Olympic quad.

No, you're right they aren't but there still is the push from the USFS to find their (what they seem to think) is the next "ice princess" I've been in this sport long enough to see it many times with my own eyes.

You totally missed the point. Yes, I said that ironically Bradie is skating a princess program this year and happens to be doing decently, so the USFS has grabbed her as their next "ice princess" to promote literally and figuratively. Blonde hair, ironic blue dress (either way its a princess thing), and so they are going to promo her. Even though IMHO she needs to be less stiff on her jumps and skate less junior.

Then you haven't been paying attention to the promos that are out there. The are a few other girls that don't fit the mold that had similar season to Bradie but you don't see the USFS throwing them in the limelight now do you? As for everything else, refer to what I've answered above to others.

My main point here is that the USFS has to STOP doing this to their ladies. They are breaking them down more than they are propping them up and it disgusts me.

Perhaps if you weren't looking for proof of some theory you made up you would be less disgusted. LOL!

Seriously, I am not seeing that much more promotion of Bradie then some random downhill skier.... it's all just noise right now and the only people paying attention are on here LOL!

I am paying attention and I don't think the facts support your hysteria!