2018 US nats Experiences & Practice Reports | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018 US nats Experiences & Practice Reports

georgia

On the Ice
If Mirai skates this week like she skated today at practice, not only she can win Nationals, but Olympics too. Amazing technical program, without any hesitation. It comes from me a non Mirai fan!

truthbooth

On the Ice
I didn't see it posted so here's the direct link to Mirai's eight triple FS practice today. She looks extremely prepared. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, because I've been so disappointed in the past, but she's making it awfully hard. It'd be something else if she could capture her second national title a full ten (!) years after her first.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Mirai did 2, maybe 3 nice 3As and a very nice FP. Looked relaxed and happy
To my untrained eye the landings of the jumps looked solid. Saw Liz and temadd. Thx for saying Hello!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I didn't see it posted so here's the direct link to Mirai's eight triple FS practice today. She looks extremely prepared. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, because I've been so disappointed in the past, but she's making it awfully hard. It'd be something else if she could capture her second national title a full ten (!) years after her first.

Me too! But what ever happens, she has made my retirement a better one for all I have seen her since 2007.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Mirai attempted a few triple axels in front of us. The first one looked the strongest to my eye, while I thought the weakest was actually the one she did during her FS run through. Still, all in all she looked focused, confident, and as clean as I've seen her in a while.

Bradie is absolutely delivering with consistency. Carolina Zhang was also a pleasure to watch.

bixby

Final Flight
Wow, Mirai & Bradie looks really solid in those practices. No question or doubt on their jumping passes which means it's automatic and done on muscle memory; not from the head thinking about it. That to me shows they're well prepared and ready to deliver.

I don't mind 1,2 from these ladies; either way it goes it will be a great story line heading to the Olympics.

With Mirai winning, imagine what will be on the headline? A taste of victory and a big sigh of relief after 10 years in the making. What a success story that will be, one for the ages that the skating world has been waiting for.

And if Bradie takes it, it will just be refreshing to see!

temadd

Final Flight
I thought Mirai looked amazing. Super fit, 3 f - 3T looked solid and fully rotated, she landedithe 3A several times and it looks very close to full rotation. I haven't seen her look that confident and solid in the jumps for a long time.

Ashley did LaLa Land and was shaky on the jumps. Hopefully that's just first day jitters.

I have been wondering all these years why amber glen was being sent to International competitions. Now I see why. It's unfortunate that she can't skate this way in competition. Her jumps are high and beautiful, great fast spins and powerful skating.

Polina has definitely improved Since her last competition. She was doing a 3lo-3t combo that looked slightly under rotated but the height has really improved in the past month

kalle

On the Ice
I just hope she is not putting extra pressure on herself with the media headlines it would create with the "10 years later"..
She is SO fit and seems to be SO prepared that I really cannot find anything else than nerves that could put her down this year.
I am already way too nervous for the SP but if she will attack her program anything like in this practice session, it should set her up well for the long.

I also liked Ashleys program. From the little I saw, it has nice flow to it and seems to create/draw you in to create a moment. It was surely a good move by Ashley to go back to this program and would it not be great if the "oldies" Ashley and Mirai skated their lights out to go out as 1-2 at this competition!

Bradie seems solid as a rock though and is surely hungry for that National title and what about Karen and Mariah if they were to skate cleanish? Exciting competition ahead!

Sidenotes..
I just have to give it to Polina for landing 3L/3T's! Remains to see where her 3F and 3Z are at this point but a clean SP with 3S, 3L/3T and 2A could be enough to land her in the last group going into the freeskate which would be a great achievement after all injury struggles..

Starr also seems to be doing well and I suppose she is a bit in the same boat as Polina with the question mark regarding Flip and Lutz.

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
my thoughts and their only thoughts are if Bradie skates clean she is going to be the national champion. For the very simple reason her long program is perfect vehicle to bring young girls back to figure skating. If I was in the upper echelon of the United States figure skating Association I would be jumping for joy that she is skating to Cinderella not Moulin Rouge, Chicago or some other overdone movie soundtrack Broadway show or Opera. Why May you ask this...it's Disney Princess meets usfsa and they can promote the heck out of it!!!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
(Trying out app) Thanks for vid! Good pic of me in first row in my yellow coat at 2min 37 sec. Just sayin' [emoji1] Seriously, I thought she looked great...more relaxed than I have seen her in a long time.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
my thoughts and their only thoughts are if Bradie skates clean she is going to be the national champion. For the very simple reason her long program is perfect vehicle to bring young girls back to figure skating. If I was in the upper echelon of the United States figure skating Association I would be jumping for joy that she is skating to Cinderella not Moulin Rouge, Chicago or some other overdone movie soundtrack Broadway show or Opera. Why May you ask this...it's Disney Princess meets usfsa and they can promote the heck out of it!!!

And that's just one of the reasons USFS has been promoting the heck out of her. Next Ice Princess like they tried to make Gracie, who also ironically skated to Cinderella in 2014.

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
And that's just one of the reasons USFS has been promoting the heck out of her. Next Ice Princess like they tried to make Gracie, who also ironically skated to Cinderella in 2014.
no it was the ballet Sleeping Beauty

temadd

Final Flight

And also wore the blue dress. It's deja vu. The blond 18 yr old in a blue dress skating to Cinderella in an Olympic year with a chance to be natl champ

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And also wore the blue dress. It's deja vu. The blond 18 yr old in a blue dress skating to Cinderella in an Olympic year with a chance to be natl champ

Gracie skated to Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty in 2014.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Gracie skated to Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty in 2014.

We're aware of that. Despite that it's the same thing, "PRINCESS" in a blue dress, that the USFS is trying to preen into their next "ice princess" and need to just leave it alone.

icesk8er

Rinkside
Sorry if this has been asked. Do I need a ticket to attend the practice sessions?

Edit: Nvm. Just read the other thread. Looks like I need to buy a practice pass.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker

USFS needs to stop with the "ice princesses". Gracie is not a princess, she's more a firebird (and it's so much better).
Look at Evgenia, Alina, etc. They are not princesses, there are more like elegant bulldozers, it's much more enjoyable. To be honest ice princesses for America works only in America, the rest thinks it's a bit... ridiculous ? (sorry it's true)

I don't see the USFSA as "promoting" Bradie because she has a blue dress. I think it is more because she has skated really well this season, especially at Skate America.

Now, if she wins the National Championship -- let the promotions begin!