2018 US Championships Sr Men FS | Page 79 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr Men FS

twirlingblades

Medalist
Supposedly that is not the way they are being picked anymore and again I don't think they should be picked that way. The scores are always higher at Nationals than they are internationally. Team USA wants medals, not fulfilled dreams.

I would send Miner to Olympics and Vincent to worlds. Worlds is where we get spots for next year, and V can grow there. He’s young enough for another quad.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Hmmmm, exactly how I feel. Let the Oly team be Chen/Miner/Zhou. They all EARNED it. Let's be real, only Chen is an Oly medalist hopeful and neither Rippon nor Brown are factors for Olympic glory. They should just go by the Nats results. Name Rippon to the World team. He was disgraceful tonight. Too much Sasshley and not enough production.

:rofl:

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Multiple? I think maybe the 3 toe but not multiple.

It's not a "maybe", check out the protocols.
UR: 4Lz(fall), 3T
Pop: 3Lz, 3S

That seems pretty bad... Also, PCS were inflated, absolutely no emotion in this FS, unlike the SP. He was visibly flustered after the popped jumps.

emma

Record Breaker
So wow. I have missed so many comps in the last two years, but this one I watched and am so glad and so gutted and so glad. Hopeful: lot's of great talent overall. Sad, 'cuz Olympic year and all and some won't go. Sad also because some didn't skate their best. Happy, because some did. So of course, hats of to Nathan and really, really, hats of to Ross. I've watched you for years and this was amazingly special!!!

I can't even comment on selection for Olympics. Wow. But, i've been watching this sport for a long time, and Ross tonight had me crying tears of joy for him. wow. just wow. and congrats to him. I do feel sort of gutted for Adam and Jason. Before they skated, I was like: oh wow, one of them (meaning Ross, Adam, and Jason) won't go to O's....

That said, the quad mania of the last 2-3 years has brought a new twist to this longstanding debate of athleticism vs artistry and I won't pretend I'm not impressed by the new set of quad kings; and I won't pretend I don't find the deep edges, great transitions, amazing spins of non-quad skaters equally amazing. And, I'm not trying to solve this polarized debate - I am, however, worried about it or more specifically the physical effects the quad mania might be producing.

And for us - like how do you evaluate what is better overall? And then the so called "regular" fan...it's a complicated mess. I have read some people suggesting limits to number of quads in programs. I think I would lean in that direction....

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Send Adam over Vincent? Send Vincent to worlds. He is young enough for another quad. It would feel wrong to bump Ross.

Lol I feel some fans forget how harsh of a sport FS is. You can be landing all your jumps one season + be 100% healthy, yet the next season just completely fall apart with no viable reason and drop below the top 20 rankings. It has happened to many skaters in the past. There is no "later" in figure skating, only the "now".

cell

On the Ice
I don't see anything particularly complicated about making a decision if they are basing it on "body of work". Ross doesn't have much of anything.

Nathan , Adam and Vincent for Olys
Nathan, Ross and Adam for Worlds...

Cleo

On the Ice
But Polina was our future hope in 2014... And now she's injured beyond belief because I think she got pushed too fast. I think they'll send Adam, Nathan, and Ross (just doubling down on my earlier prediction).

Could be (about Polina). But genetics also has something to do with it.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
USFSA needs a seemingly consistent standard in making their selection, keeping in mind how Wagner was treated both in the last and the current Olympic selections. Which model are they going to go by with the Men selection this time?

Ross and Vincent screwed the fed's script. Oh, wait, Adam and Jason did.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope I never hear the term, "body of work" ever again.

This is simple, Nationals is the biggest, most important US competition of the year. Every skater knows it and puts in the work for it.
Compete well there, you get rewards.

Adam should get World's, but the Olympics go to the top 3. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Totally, totally agree! It would be a so unfair to leave Ross--in second place!--off the team. He delivered when it counted, with the best skate of the night. He even had a real quad. Vincent has lots of potential and a gorgeous quad lutz. I'm ok with giving Adam Worlds as a consolation prize, but he should not be on the Olympic team after his skate tonight.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
I hope I never hear the term, "body of work" ever again.

This is simple, Nationals is the biggest, most important US competition of the year. Every skater knows it and puts in the work for it.
Compete well there, you get rewards.

Adam should get World's, but the Olympics go to the top 3. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Actually it isn't because USFSA changed the rules. And I support them 100%. But it's a pointless debate.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Guys, imagine if Kaitlyn and Jean-Luc win the national title tomorrow?! :eeking:

After the final placements in both the ladies and men’s events, I wouldn’t be shocked if one of the top three dance teams had a major blunder down the steps to potato land..

At least Alexa and Chris won earlier today, as predicted. It’s a lot less stressful that way! Yeesh!

cell

On the Ice
It's not a "maybe", check out the protocols.
UR: 4Lz(fall), 3T
Pop: 3Lz, 3S

That seems pretty bad... Also, PCS were inflated, absolutely no emotion in this FS, unlike the SP. He was visibly flustered after the popped jumps.

You said multiple URs. Pops aren't the same as URs... I thought the FS was great until the pops.

auser

Record Breaker
I have not watched any performances yet, I just wanted to say that I'm shocked at the results. This should be interesting in terms of the team.
I recommend stocking up on favorite comfort foods, etc before watching. It is a heart-wrenching comp. :)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Seems to me if you are going to boot someone off the Olympic team it should be for someone who's a multiple National champion who's won world medals or GPF medals or medaled at 4CC but Adam isn't any of those things.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Do you guys think Nathan will also go to worlds if he wins the OMG? Sigh, i know, I know, I’m getting way ahead of myself here...

twirlingblades

Medalist
One nice but unspectacular skate from Miner shouldn't erase the last several seasons of bad skates - including this season.

Fair enough, but worlds is where scores matter since spots are on the line for next year. So, send Vincent, and let Ross have his moment.

Or... sorry Adam, you crumbled at the big moment.

I don’t know, I have so many feelings! I agree Ross is the weakest, but it feels so wrong to skip the silver medalist.

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Nathan needs to skate both segments of the team event if the USA wants any chance of winning the Gold.
Not going to agree or disagree but Vincent can beat the other men they put up there if he goes cleaned let's say in the short program not sure how that would peeing out in the other disciplines of dance or ladies just saying

slider11

Medalist
I'm incredibly sad that Jason is not even mentioned in this thread. It's sad but it's the reality that he did not have the season nor the National experience to even be considered.

I'm listening to the press conference and it saddened me to hear Vincent Zhou talk about a hip problem he had last year as a junior. 17 and a hip problem! Will he be walking at age 21?