2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Men - SP | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Men - SP

beki

Medalist
Seems like Patrick's heart is just not in it anymore, and it's out of his conscious control.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Patrick was talking about small mistakes here and there, did I miss anything? Small a fall?

bixby

Final Flight
If he skate like that at the Olympics, it will sure be just dust in the wind!

Like Nam, where did their jumping go? It's crazy how it can come and go for a skater.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Omg I just realized if Kevin had done the quad in the combo along with the triple with the same GOE, he would have been in the lead....

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Nevertheless — that footwork sequence — there's nothing better.

No doubt, and his skills are obviously there so especially now, considering the timing, it'd be awesome if he could go out with two clean programs, after the career he had. But Blackbird was also a lovely program, I don't think he'd lose anything with the switch. Ah well.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Patrick's PCS was actually about the same as the top 3 us men. Subtle message by SC? Ha just tossing conspiracy theories around.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Five guys within six points of Patrick:shocked:

Including Elladj:love: (sorry, mon brave, I won’t make the same jinxing mistake in the LP)

What alternate universe have I stepped into?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, Patrick is going to the Olympics whether he wins here or not. Skate Canada will not NOT send him.

But, looking ahead, there are a lot of guys who can beat that program if he delivers it that way.

I really want to see that skated squeaky clean, as I think it's a beautiful program. I acknowledge that's not a universal opinion, but I love it.

Also, I think if Patrick doesn't skate both programs in the Team Event, then Canada is in trouble. I had a general sense of the gap behind Patrick, but having watched this entire event... it's a bigger gap than I imagined.

I wonder if Canada will take the path that Russia did, and put all the eggs in the Team Event Basket, potentially sacrificing a men's medal?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
This competition is more interesting than US Nationals to me because I don't think the second spot is predetermined and anything can pretty much happen. Who wants it the most?

I can't say Patrick's performance surprised me. He's clearly been over competing for awhile. Well, he chose to come back, it wasn't forced upon him.

CAS

On the Ice
I think at this point Patrick and Skate Canada know he is only skating for the team event. He isn't a factor in the Men's event anymore. I do think they need him for the team because they don't have any other man that I think judges will give the PCS to that he will get and none of the other men are that reliable.

For me the skate of the night was Elladj but I don't see him making the team. Think second spot will go to Keegan or Kevin. Neither ideal imo but Keegan seems semi-reliable and Kevin did pull a rabbit out of his hat in the team event in Sochi so he could do it again.

bixby

Final Flight
Patrick was talking about small mistakes here and there, did I miss anything? Small a fall?

I know, right? Fall on a quad and messy landing on the axel; that's almost the weight of SP TES wise. You missed those and you pretty much dug yourself in the whole if you're with a bunch of top tier skaters in the world.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Patrick's PCS was actually about the same as the top 3 us men. Subtle message by SC? Ha just tossing conspiracy theories around.

You know, it's actually interesting, I noticed that. I mean, he'll obviously go to the Olympics, but I expected more to be honest.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think at this point Patrick and Skate Canada know he is only skating for the team event. He isn't a factor in the Men's event anymore. I do think they need him for the team because they don't have any other man that I think judges will give the PCS to that he will get and none of the other men are that reliable.

For me the skate of the night was Elladj but I don't see him making the team.

I don't either based on results from international events (Minus Nebelhorn 2015...But I doubt they're going to count that into the factoring).

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If he skate like that at the Olympics, it will sure be just dust in the wind!

Like Nam, where did their jumping go? It's crazy how it can come and go for a skater.

Well, in the case of Nam, he had a huge growth spurt between 2015-2017.