2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Men - SP | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Men - SP

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Because Kevin is Peter Pan:biggrin:.

A funny thing is that when I congratulated that birthday, I was also bewildered by his older age that his actual look. I probably said like "Oh, isn't he 22 yo?, I can't believe it!". Haha, Kevin can be compared with pixies, ageless fairies in folklore. :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick was talking about small mistakes here and there, did I miss anything? Small a fall?

Small mistakes as the causes, not the effects which can be major or minor. Most mistakes are micro second mental issues. A self aware and experienced skater knows how to identify them and will try to adjust and fix them which may or may not be easy.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I wonder if Canada will take the path that Russia did, and put all the eggs in the Team Event Basket, potentially sacrificing a men's medal?

Nobody but Patrick can medal for Canada in the individual men, and even he is on the lower end, unless the quadsters splat. So I don't really think they're sacrificing anything. The trouble is - Kolyada. If Samarin can deliver a stable short, and he seems to be hitting those, then they're going to have to contend with a good if not more Kolyada, whose PCS is growing, steadily. I understand why SC is going for Patrick, and hopefully he can nail it by the time PC happens, but we're talking about a bit more than two weeks before the first official practice for the Team event short. Time is close.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Five guys within six points of Patrick:shocked:

Including Elladj:love: (sorry, mon brave, I won’t make the same jinxing mistake in the LP)

What alternate universe have I stepped into?

You’ll get worse than the cattle prod if you start with your jinxing antics in the free program. *prepares cannon, muskets, and bow ‘n arrows* We’re kicking it old skool, civil war style! :laugh:

synteis

Medalist
Really too bad about this last flight :cccc Patrick's never been my fave as a person but I love to watch him skate. Just want so badly for him to go clean one last time. It's a real shame about the mistakes since I think if he'd gone clean here it would have given him some much needed feet under him. Ah well.

At least Ellajd had that beautiful glorious skate.

CAS

On the Ice
Patrick was a mess at Skate Canada and was in no shape for NHK. He wouldn't have skated well there and seemed on the verge of quitting.
He does seem to want to skate the team event so maybe he will put in the training to manage it. It's only a month of grind left so I think he should be able to find the motivation for that. Hopefully, for the sake of his teammates anyway.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A funny thing is that when I congratulated that birthday, I was also bewildered by his older age that his actual look. I probably said like "Oh, isn't he 22 yo?, I can't believe it!". Haha, Kevin can be compared with pixies, ageless fairies in folklore. :)

That's how I was the day I became a fan of him. When during the team event, they showed his age, and I was like, "Huh? No he's not!" And I checked and sure he enough, he was the age he was. He looked 16-17 at the time.

synteis

Medalist
Nobody but Patrick can medal for Canada in the individual men, and even he is on the lower end, unless the quadsters splat. So I don't really think they're sacrificing anything. The trouble is - Kolyada. If Samarin can deliver a stable short, and he seems to be hitting those, then they're going to have to contend with a good if not more Kolyada, whose PCS is growing, steadily. I understand why SC is going for Patrick, and hopefully he can nail it by the time PC happens, but we're talking about a bit more than two weeks before the first official practice for the Team event short. Time is close.

Ugh, don't remind me :ccc

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Patrick was a mess at Skate Canada and was in no shape for NHK. He wouldn't have skated well there and seemed on the verge of quitting.
He does seem to want to skate the team event so maybe he will put in the training to manage it. It's only a month of grind left so I think he should be able to find the motivation for that. Hopefully, for the sake of his teammates anyway.

No you're probably right, but I just found the "would have been nice to have more competitions" comment interesting.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
No you're probably right, but I just found the "would have been nice to have more competitions" comment interesting.

I mean, he could’ve gone to Skate Canada Challenge a few months ago if he wanted to? Sure, he’d mop the field there even if he had a crappy skate, but it hasn’t been beneath other top skaters in recent years to attend.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I would be all for Samarin skating the short (if he can get a good one at Euros and score well), but it seems likely they will decide not to switch out men and Kolyada will have to skate two programs. So far the talk has been about switching ladies and pairs. But we'll have to see what happens at Euros and what shape everyone is in.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I mean, he could’ve gone to Skate Canada Challenge a few months ago if he wanted to? Sure, he’d mop the field there even if he had a crappy skate, but it hasn’t been beneath other top skaters in recent years to attend.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. And he did that summer comp in Detroit, so it's not like he hasn't done such a thing before.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

I hate myself for even thinking this, but I hope he doesn’t pull a Plushy... :slink:

Victura

On the Ice
Patrick was talking about small mistakes here and there, did I miss anything? Small a fall?

Looking at the replay, the fall was a bit of a fluke because he hit his toe pick. He landed it and probably tightened up trying to get into the 3T. I'm glad he got the 3T after the lutz though since he doesn't usually miss the quad. When skaters have to make up the jump for a combination, it seems like many end up doing a double at the end instead of the triple (like Kaetlyn did here).

Ravi seems like a calming influence though and hopefully Patrick will deliver in the long. Wondering if there's a local club competition he could do after this just to get more mileage on these programs in competition.