2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 289 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
U guys i have a plan. We get Ashley Canadian citizenship and give her their third spot. She’s still better than Larkyn and Alaine.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
We don't know how much they care, but we do know that, whether they care or not, she's still the first alternate.
Plus she hasn't gone to 4CC for a while, so they were pretty much expecting her to withdraw when she was given the first alternate spot.

I'm curious how you knew USFSA was expecting Ashley to withdraw from 4CCs? There are going to be some top-ranked skaters competing.

eriecold

On the Ice
I'm curious how you knew USFSA was expecting Ashley to withdraw from 4CCs? There are going to be some top-ranked skaters competing.

Because she widhdrew in 2013,2015,2016 and 2017. I was actually expecting her to compete, and since she didn't withdraw immediately like in prior years, I was actually giving her a 50% chance, but alas! we won't see LLL again this year :(

klutzy

On the Ice
Because she widhdrew in 2013,2015,2016 and 2017. I was actually expecting her to compete, and since she didn't withdraw immediately like in prior years, I was actually giving her a 50% chance, but alas! we won't see LLL again this year :(

Don't forget about Worlds. There's more likely to be an American Lady dropping out of Worlds than the Olympics. Injuries, retirement, other opportunities, all sorts of things happen. I think Davis/White didn't do Worlds after the Olympics--I think they did SOI and Dancing with the Stars. (I may be wrong about this.) Tara Lipinski didn't. If Mirai broke through and medalled, I'd expect her to retire and take advantage of the good will and opportunities that would come her way. Bradie and Karen I expect to stick around for another quad, but both of them have had injuries over the years and might need a break.

Admittedly, not how Ashley wanted to go out, but Worlds would at least give her a big stage.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hmm...I would say Nagasu would be probable to WD from Worlds after Olympics, but as she has (currently) expressed a desire to continue on post-2018, perhaps she might want the ranking points...?

Tennell & Chen are young, so don't see it unless they're injured or something...

kimi492

Final Flight
Hmm...I would say Nagasu would be probable to WD from Worlds after Olympics, but as she has (currently) expressed a desire to continue on post-2018, perhaps she might want the ranking points...?

Tennell & Chen are young, so don't see it unless they're injured or something...
Mirai has said nothing about stopping after the olympics not sure why you’re speculating she will WD lol

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's hard to say now. I think we won't know for sure until the Olympics are over. I think a lot of folks thought that Jeremy Abbott would W/D from Worlds after the Sochi Olympics and he didn't (and it turned out great, because he and Max helped the U.S. regained 3 spots).

concorde

Medalist

Don't get this. Usually skaters withdraw from Worlds post Olympics when the are retiring. I think it is rare for an uninjured skater to withdraw when they are not.

concorde

Medalist
Skaters also have to pay for the plane and boarding, of their coaches + the coaches usual fees + usual training costs.

When going to Worlds, USFS pays for the skater + 1 coach (airfare, housing, and food). I was told that theoretically the coach could charge but that coaches do it at no cost since it is an honor to have a skater there. I assume that for the Olympics, something similar holds but I believe USOC would be funding it, not USFS.

noidont

Final Flight
They are fundraising for the exact amount USFSA (or is it USOC?) says it would cost a person to be there with them, which is 11000 dollars for like a week or ten days. This number seems insane. I was just checking. Flight tickets round trip cost about 1000 dollars. Hotel about 200 dollars a night for a decent looking place (a lot are cheaper than that). It would only cost 11000 dollars if they want to put their entire family up in a 5 star hotel or something. Coaches as well as athletes usually are required to stay in the Olympic village at the Olympics, free of charge, all meals included.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
They are fundraising for the exact amount USFSA (or is it USOC?) says it would cost a person to be there with them, which is 11000 dollars for like a week or ten days. This number seems insane. I was just checking. Flight tickets round trip cost about 1000 dollars. Hotel about 200 dollars a night for a decent looking place (a lot are cheaper than that). It would only cost 11000 dollars if they want to put their entire family up in a 5 star hotel or something. Coaches as well as athletes usually are required to stay in the Olympic village at the Olympics, free of charge, all meals included.

You are forgetting the tickets need to attend the events which I highly doubt they will be given free access. There are multiple events and each one can run several hundred dollars per ticket. Small things add up, like meals and transportation (which will no doubt be $$ considering its the Olympics and most prices will be hiked up).

concorde

Medalist
In the olden days, athletes could stay in the Olympic village,for the duration of the games. At least in the summer games, there are two phases and an athlete can only stay in the village during their phase.

Since ice skating is in the first phase, if an athlete wants to stay until the closing games, they have to funds that 2nd half themselves.

Icey

Record Breaker
It's for her family. Bradie and Mirai's gofundme are about the same amount.

The Pasadena Figure Skating Club has started a YouCaring fundraiser so Nagasu’s family and boyfriend are able to get to South Korea in February to watch her compete at the 2018 Winter Olympics.

Who is her boyfriend?

lyndichee

Medalist
In the olden days, athletes could stay in the Olympic village,for the duration of the games. At least in the summer games, there are two phases and an athlete can only stay in the village during their phase.

Since ice skating is in the first phase, if an athlete wants to stay until the closing games, they have to funds that 2nd half themselves.

That is just brutal, I really hope it's not the same during the Winter Olympics.

Good news is that Pasadena FSC has almost raised the total $11,000.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

For figure skating, the individual disciplines of men, ice dance, and ladies fall within the second half of the Games. Also the gala.

I've never heard of two "phases," but if(?) the phases are of equal duration, then only pairs would be within the first phase.

The Pasadena Figure Skating Club has started a YouCaring fundraiser so Nagasu’s family and boyfriend are able to get to South Korea in February to watch her compete at the 2018 Winter Olympics.

Who is her boyfriend?

The online fundraiser for Mirai's support system has been discussed within the previous few pages of the thread.

Such as here, for example:

Those who follow Mirai on Instagram are familiar with her boyfriend and his name.
For those who have not been following Mirai: they have been together for years, and it is clear that he is like family to her.

ETA:

I smiled esp. at the comment from donor Rebecca Karnes:
Because you have inspired Layla since our Ice Castle days! Love to.your parents.

Layla Karnes is a young ice dancer. 2016 U.S. juvenile ice dance champion.

(Beside the point, but BTW: her partner at the time happened to be Jeffrey Chen, brother of Karen.)​

R.D.

Record Breaker
Those who follow Mirai on Instagram are familiar with her boyfriend and his name.
For those who have not been following Mirai: they have been together for years, and it is clear that he is like family to her.

Funny, I follow her on there and I don't even know about that. :unsure:

Then again, I don't really care enough to be looking for those kinds of details anyway, so there's that...:scratch2:

Anyway, at least on Twitter, Nagasu has been going crazy with the RT button...clearly she likes the attention ;)

And Wagner appears to be in the position (emotionally, anyway) that Nagasu was in 4 years ago if her latest Instagram post is any indication...Crazy how things come full circle.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
For figure skating, the individual disciplines of men, ice dance, and ladies fall within the second half of the Games. Also the gala.

I've never heard of two "phases," but if(?) the phases are of equal duration, then only pairs would be within the first phase.

The online fundraiser for Mirai's support system has been discussed within the previous few pages of the thread.

Such as here, for example:

ETA:

I smiled esp. at the comment from donor Rebecca Karnes:
Because you have inspired Layla since our Ice Castle days! Love to.your parents.

Layla Karnes is a young ice dancer. 2016 U.S. juvenile ice dance champion.

(Beside the point, but BTW: her partner at the time happened to be Jeffrey Chen, brother of Karen.)​

Is her boyfriend a skater?