2018 Four Continents Mens FS | Page 56 | Golden Skate

2018 Four Continents Mens FS

Tahuu

On the Ice
All the losses may fire up Shoma. He's the only one of the top 6 who hasn't win a major ISU championship.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I told myself to take a small nap during the ice resurfacing but I just woke up nooooo:( But I'm so happy that Max did well! It's good to see him smile and have his confidence again, he needed it after what had happened at nationals❤️ He'll always be one of my favorites😊

You are lucky, really. The stream crashed out during Max's StSq. I didn't see anything until the ChSq. I'm sure my anguished screams made the neighbours think I was murdered or something :laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This Jin win has me even more psyched for the Olympics... it really could be anyone's game instead of the typical 2 faves battling for gold and the others scrapping for bronze.

And the funny thing is, I think some of them are holding back. Chen can add the loop, Uno can add the salchow. Jin could do 5 quads to match, as could Hanyu. It'll be interesting to see who pulls out all the stops.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
You are lucky, really. The stream crashed out during Max's StSq. I didn't see anything until the ChSq. I'm sure my anguished screams made the neighbours think I was murdered or something :laugh:
Unfortunately/fortunately I have Icenetwork, which can also be a blessing and a curse.:laugh:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unfortunately/fortunately I have Icenetwork, which can also be a blessing and a curse.:laugh:

And speaking of Icenetwork, I have it too. Did everything appear slow to you? I mean, it seemed like everyone was skating slowly to me. Sounds kinda crazy, but I thought I was seeing things. Maybe my eyes are slow tonight?! Other than that, it was pretty good without a lot of buffering or anything else weird.

bobbob

Medalist
Boyang was amazing here and he deservedly won. In terms of the Olympics though, he was barely above Shoma, and his room for improvement (5 points) is less than Shoma's (probably 20 points across both programs). I definitely think his Winning gap should have been bigger--Shoma could have easily won if his 4Lo wasn't called UR, which I'm glad it was. I think this is the first time Shoma got an UR on a quad he didn't visibly mess up on the landing of (usually he gets away with UR quads that have good flow on landing).

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Before anyone starts looking into their crystal balls or astrological charts or tea leaves or tarot cards about what WILL happen in Korea, you might be wise to look at the history books.

Ask Sarah Hughes.
Ask Alexei Urmanov.
Ask Torvill and Dean.
Ask Kurt Browning.
Ask Brian Boitano.
Etc. Etc. Etc.

Ice is slippery. It's the Olympics. Surprises happen.

berry8

Final Flight
Boyang was amazing here and he deservedly won. In terms of the Olympics though, he was barely above Shoma, and his room for improvement (5 points) is less than Shoma's (probably 20 points across both programs). I definitely think his Winning gap should have been bigger--Shoma could have easily won if his 4Lo wasn't called UR, which I'm glad it was. I think this is the first time Shoma got an UR on a quad he didn't visibly mess up on the landing of (usually he gets away with UR quads that have good flow on landing).
The Judging was so on point :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Exactly. What we should be talking about is how the tone for the last group was set by Jason's magic and Max's fire. They made sure that whatever happened, we were going to see great skating in the last group.

zebobes

Final Flight
I was in the balcony of the arena, and I have a couple thoughts.

The reason why the announcer got stuck before announcing Boyang’s name is because I think the computer was stuck, so he had to wait for it to say Boyang’s name and start the timer.

Also, being unable to see as clearly from the balcony, I felt Boyang checked out of the performance until the step sequence, and checked out again during his two quad toe setups. The person sitting next to me was a Japanese student who loves figure skating and has been coming to Taipei for the past two years to watch figure skating, and we tried to guess who would win. Since we couldn’t see the technical score, we thought that Shona would win, while my friend who isn’t as versed in figure skating thought Boyang would win.

I love both of them, so I was happy no matter who won, but a local Taiwanese high school girl also sitting in our row started crying because Shoma lost.

All in all, lots of fun. I think I’ve been watching to much figure skating on YouTube, because I kept picturing a technical elements box appearing in the top left corner for my vision as I sat in the arena.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Before anyone starts looking into their crystal balls or astrological charts or tea leaves or tarot cards about what WILL happen in Korea, you might be wise to look at the history books.

Ask Sarah Hughes.
Ask Alexei Urmanov.
Ask Torvill and Dean.
Ask Kurt Browning.
Ask Brian Boitano.
Etc. Etc. Etc.

Ice is slippery. It's the Olympics. Surprises happen.

I think for the men, since there is no clear 'dominating' favourite, any winner could be a surprise. It's definitely the most exciting competition of all the figure skating for me, because so much is possible, that someone who is a Gold candidate might end up sixth. I just don't see that in the other disciplines.