2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 2 | Page 106 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 2

Kissx3

Final Flight
Italy is in a possible but tough spot. It would've been easier had their pairs team done just a bit better in the short. The first event will tell the story I think because they basically need everything to go right for this to happen.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Yep, this is Ladies these days though. The lack of spiral sequences or any truly beautiful held movements (aside from a requisite catch-foot position), the convoluted step sequences, and the insistence to throw in meaningless transitions that break up the flow and emotion of the skating.

Hmm, maybe that's why I'm so so very bored with the women. It's now all about 3/3 jump combos and backloading programs and man what a turnoff. COP did wonders for dance, but really did the women no favors.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Did anybody else find the ladies a bit boring today? Everyone did what was expected in a workmanlike way. Scorewise, the only point of interest was that Bradie Tennell came close to Satoko Miyahara. This should help Bradie's PCSs later in the Games. (Bradie looks so much like her mother!)

this entire season is boring IMO. the only time i got excited was Euros FS. lol

johnsmith72

On the Ice
I think figure skating needs to work on its judging because currently it's losing fans. I watched with just some casual olympic fans, and they all thought the scoring was absolutely ridiculous. To a casual watcher, it makes absolutely no sense that Bradie should be almost 15 points between Evgenia if you just look at the skating with fresh eyes and throw out reputation judging....

Reputation judging really hurts the sport and loses casual viewers. Evgenia was solid but that score is :disagree:

I think figure skating needs to work on its judging because currently it's losing fans. I watched with just some casual olympic fans, and they all thought the scoring was absolutely ridiculous. To a casual watcher, it makes absolutely no sense that Bradie should be almost 15 points between Evgenia if you just look at the skating with fresh eyes and throw out reputation judging....

Reputation judging really hurts the sport and loses casual viewers. Evgenia was solid but that score is :disagree:

Scoring is bogus, but Evgenia is definitely the only person who should be in first after that short program event. Also, it seems that her interpretation has improved vastly, even from the EC 2018. I guess her living her dream is motivating her to put out her best.

johnsmith72

On the Ice
Scoring is bogus, but Evgenia is definitely the only person who should be in first after that short program event. Also, it seems that her interpretation has improved vastly, even from the EC 2018. I guess her living her dream is motivating her to put out her best.

The problem is that there aren't just placements, but scores and casual viewers look at scores and just don't get it. They honestly don't see these point spreads that occur based on unfortunately a lot of reputation judging. It's frustrating to watch skating with other people because you can tell they are always super confused and look to you to explain the scores. And honestly most of the time I can't explain the scores based on what was actually put on the ice that day :scratch2: I 100% support of Evgenia winning the short but her score in relation to others is mind boggling

snd

On the Ice
what's with dabin's pcs? 6s? do the judges really think she's less artistic than... tennell?

so much for 'home ice advantage'...

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I love how Robin casually hangs out with all the Russian skaters in the team booth, even when T/M are not there.

Robin Szolkowy, our man in Russia!

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I had a plan of not watching during the night and not spoiling and rather rewatching the event later, but I forgot that figure skating is all over my social media, so I unwillingly spoiled the event.

Just watched the Shibs, that program is such a crowdpleaser and probably my favourite Latin this season. And Evgenia was wonderful as ever. :love:

The problem is that there aren't just placements, but scores and casual viewers look at scores and just don't get it. They honestly don't see these point spreads that occur based on unfortunately a lot of reputation judging. It's frustrating to watch skating with other people because you can tell they are always super confused and look to you to explain the scores. And honestly most of the time I can't explain the scores based on what was actually put on the ice that day :scratch2: I 100% support of Evgenia winning the short but her score in relation to others is mind boggling

I've honestly given up trying to understand the scoring. So eh.

what's with dabin's pcs? 6s? do the judges really think she's less artistic than... tennell?

Her getting 28 over Tennell's 30 is the single most foolish thing I've seen for the ladies event over the past few months. That's including Med getting higher PCS than Kostner tonight, and Osmond over Satoko tonight, and Alina's rise from <65 PCS at the beginning of the season to 75+ in EC 2018.

I get that Tennell has better transitions and speed, but seriously? Dabin isn't the most expressive skater, but she's better than that.

snd

On the Ice
also i'm rooting for the italians to medal here.

maia and alex are my favourite ice dancers at the moment but whatever, valentina and rizzo kept it together and carolina is better than everybody else. also i'm mad about tennell getting great pcs thrown at her at the expense of superior skaters.

(who am i kidding? i'm just butthurt over the world cup fiasco...)

Warwick360

Medalist

Just look at the GOE on Evgenia's first combination spin. Spin spun out all the way to Timbuktu and yet she gets 2s and 3s. Good god, the judges never cease to baffle me.:disapp:

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
My eyes rolling out of my head that Kostner was scored so high for a SP that included such a scratchy hideous combo. Otherwise, she looked great and nice performance. But that score mocks fair play.

Warwick360

Medalist

To be fair, to paraphrase what Robin Cousin said, Dabin doesn't really have the speed of other girls. And also sadly her transitions aren't of the elite level. Still it was nice to see her do well and go clean. Sad about Satoko though. To be beneath Osmond's mess of a performance. :disagree:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Poor Satoko. The callers were strict. I had to rewatch many times the 3Lz and 3T landings, and I am fine with the < calls. But how crushing this must be for her.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

Tell them how difficult is to jump only in the last 1 minutes and 25 seconds of your program, because that's one of the main reason why Evgenia got these scores.

This and also tell them that Evgenia won mostly everything since 2015.

On top of that there is also the fact that the other 3 major contenders made mistakes, while Evgenia skated a clean program. No underrotations, step-out,...

Casual viewers also didn't really understand why Yuna was winning everything so they don't exactly know what's going on in figure skating.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

Well in fairness i would have called her combo ur (both the lutz and the toe were ur), and then the solo jump had no required steps, so that should have been a mandatory -3 from all the judges according to the rules and instead they gave her positive GOE for that.

So yes there was still a little of home advantage for her.

Components she was good, agreed that she should have been above Tennell on that, but she was skating too much on two feet.