2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 3 | Page 100 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 3

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
I mean. I love Mirai and she has pretty good basic skating skills and since she landed all her jumps well and that was exciting her PE mark could be higher,maybe? But, what other categories do you think she actually deserves a higher score in?
Transitions ???
Interpretation of Music???
Choreography??
I don't see how higher PCS is warranted in any of these categories. She doesn't have a program.

Mirai's FS is not empty. And the has quite good choreo... Not worse than Kaori for example...

You thing that if there is no billions of linking steps and footwork - the program is empty or not a program at all?

BossT

Match Penalty
Zagitova, the arms, the sloppy, choppy movements — I just can't. The PCS should be in the basement, but instead they'll be in the clouds. So, so wrong.

WHAT do U know about ballet? U're trying to teach it Russians? Do NOT make laugh my slippers!!:laugh2:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Canada has great skaters in each event. Russia could have won if Kolyada hadn't messed up (together with a better pair in FS, T/M or S/K in a good day).

Now I realize Japan getting bronze in Sochi was a miracle.:)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
WHAT do U know about ballet? U're trying to teach it Russians? Do NOT make laugh my slippers!!:laugh2:

I mean the fact that some of the movements are sloppy and her skating doesn't fit the first part of the music is true, you don't need to be a ballet teacher to notice it.

Nonetheless at the same time, the second part which is all jumps and arms timed with the music is why they give her those high marks for performance and interpretation.

I'd say also the idea of starting a program with the choreo sequence works and i hope more skaters will do it in the future. (even if the don't have all jumps in the 2nd half)

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Mirai!!! Great job on your beautiful 3A! (I called this!! I called it!!)
Does anyone have unblocked performances??

Hevari

On the Ice

Ease down! The ballet was born in Italy and France and russian ballet is not only style... there are also Franch ballet, Italian ballet, English ballet, American ballet and Danish ballet styles and schools... So just ease down

snd

On the Ice
Mirai Nagasu is the first senior lady to have 8 ratified triple jumps in the free skate at ANY international competition ever. She did it first at Japan Open (but it was not an ISU event) and now at the Olympics, with all positive GOEs. Let that sink in. :bow:

hmm. interesting. can you recall why liza's weren't? her technique is/was much too perfect for carrots so i'm wondering...

Zora

On the Ice
It will be interesting to see if Medvedeva is ready for silver. Because that's what will happen if Zagitova makes no mistakes. Or if she will fight for gold and increase her technical content.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Liza did her 3A in her short, not her free
so only 7 triples

- - - Updated - - -

It will be interesting to see if Medvedeva is ready for silver. Because that's what will happen if Zagitova makes no mistakes. Or if she will fight for gold and increase her technical content.

oh I think she's not giving up without a fight

colormyworld240

Medalist
Ease down! The ballet was born in Italy and France and russian ballet is not only style... there are also Franch ballet, Italian ballet, English ballet, American ballet and Danish ballet styles and schools... So just ease down

This is off-topic, slightly but still pertains to Alina's program. Don Quixote was choreographed by French/Russian choreographer, and was first performed in Moscow. The story itself, from which the ballet was adapted on, is Spanish, not Italian nor French. Learn about he ballet.

As for Alina, I think she has the most beautiful hand and arm movements of all skaters. They're very balletic; her arms match the tone and theme perfectly if you watch how Kitri dances. I think the problem is the number of movements in the step sequence and overall. She skates mostly on one foot with many turns and directional changes, which helps her SS part of PCS because she does not have the flow and deep edges, but this in turn makes it look too packed and rushed. And of course, when she bends at the waist doing her crossovers is a problem as well. But lets remember presentation and interpretation are based on the character, not on who is more dramatic! And her jumps in time with the music are huge for PE, INT, and CH as are her Rippons to look like pirouettes. Everyone else just looks like they're doing jumps whenever they want to get them in. It would have been amazing though if instead of Rippons she did 5th position ballet arms in her jumps, but I imagine that would be very difficult.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
hmm. interesting. can you recall why liza's weren't? her technique is/was much too perfect for carrots so i'm wondering...

Liza never did an 8-triple long program... the one time she landed a 3A in the long, she only landed 6 triples in that program (2015 WTT).

She is however the first lady to have a 4-triple short program! And still the only one to have 4 ratified triples in a short program (Mao and Mirai both have attempted it since, but got carrots and edge calls).

Hevari

On the Ice
This is off-topic, slightly but still pertains to Alina's program. Don Quixote was choreographed by French/Russian choreographer, and was first performed in Moscow. The story itself, from which the ballet was adapted on, is Spanish, not Italian nor French. Learn about he ballet.

As for Alina, I think she has the most beautiful hand and arm movements of all skaters. They're very balletic; her arms match the tone and theme perfectly if you watch how Kitri dances. I think the problem is the number of movements in the step sequence and overall. She skates mostly on one foot with many turns and directional changes, which helps her SS part of PCS because she does not have the flow and deep edges, but this in turn makes it look too packed and rushed. And of course, when she bends at the waist doing her crossovers is a problem as well. But lets remember presentation and interpretation are based on the character, not on who is more dramatic! And her jumps in time with the music are huge for PE, INT, and CH as are her Rippons to look like pirouettes. Everyone else just looks like they're doing jumps whenever they want to get them in. It would have been amazing though if instead of Rippons she did 5th position ballet arms in her jumps, but I imagine that would be very difficult.

The most balletic of all senior skaters is not Alina but Polina Edmunds, who takes ballet lessons...

colormyworld240

Medalist
The most balletic of all senior skaters is not Alina but Polina Edmunds, who takes ballet lessons...

Yes, Polina takes ballet lessons. Alina takes ballet lessons, and dances en pointe. Like I said, you should learn more about these things before you comment.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Yes, Polina takes ballet lessons. Alina takes ballet lessons, and dances en pointe. Like I said, you should learn more about these things before you comment.

I will defer your expertise. However, phenom though she may be (and brilliant choice of music to present virtuouso skills), just because someone can do the fouetté turns at the end doesn't mean I think of them as Julie Kent. There is a lot of maturing and holding out of moves that need to happen. Just being able to do stuff does not a great artist make

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
Congrats to everyone! Especially Canada, fantastic display.

Men: Mikhail and Keiji cannot hold the pressure, Rippon and Rizzo are not very impressive and Chan was amiable enough to remind me he has axel troubles. Eh.

Ive noticed the technical score is very high. For many skaters it goes up instead of down after the skate. Olympic effect I guess.

For everyone who says that P/C still have the gold locked up, I just learned from tv that there is a chance that the president of the Canadian federation might judges both short and free dance depending on the judging draw. So don't be so sure. I also think it is very very weird.

I am afraid for Kaori. She is injured and needs to do well to not receive backlash.

I am disappointed by the Korean coldness to Japan. I watched without commentary and every time the announcer said Japan you heard the crowd silencing. Little clapping for Kaori as well.

I loved the lime jump suit and I am sad it is gone.

There was also a lot of parasitic noise in the arena, especially during ladies warm up. Is the ice hockey rink close?