Trusova and Quads | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Trusova and Quads

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
sometimes i think we all just need to chill out a bit, russians included :)

Says one who mocked Daleman and called Nagasu's 3A "useless". :rolleye:

even if she somehow lands that - it would be pretty much like Mirai's 3A - cool, but useless

Useless? A 3A allows you to do a 4-triple SP and an 8-triple LP which is a considerable advantage. Not to mention not even 10 ladies have landed it, and doing it is an achievement.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Miki was a voluptuous built, Trusova being coached by Eteri, she will try to stay in thinner form shape to not get injured.

I smiled at the comment of Miki being voluptuously built, because if you ever saw her in person you'd think she was so thin and could stand to gain a few pounds!!!

russianfan

Match Penalty
Says one who mocked Daleman and called Nagasu's 3A "useless". :rolleye:

Useless? A 3A allows you to do a 4-triple SP and an 8-triple LP which is a considerable advantage. Not to mention not even 10 ladies have landed it, and doing it is an achievement.

3A is useful if you can skate the rest on the very high level, which is not the case here. How much has she got with clean 3A, 137 points? That's still low for today's standards, where you have to score 145+ to have chances for podium. That's just a simple fact and not like i'm trying to bash someone.

Tulipstar

Medalist
Great job by the fearless Trusova.

Danil's reaction said it all: he didn't know what movement to make when the scores came up, haha.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Trusova should work on tightening her legs more, there's an obvious gap which affects the aesthetics and speed of rotation. She could land it fully rotated without question each time if she worked on that.

That was my immediate thought when I saw the 4S in slow-mo. Imagine if she tightened her leg position more, there would be no question she could rotate it more consistently.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If she stills tiny she has more chances to keep her quads than Miki whom body changed a lot.

You don't know how Sasha's body will change post puberty. Yulia Lipnitskaia was a teeny little thing when she first skated in the JGP. Her team kept her on a strict diet to stave off puberty, but that can only work up to a point. Once Yulia's body changed, it changed drastically, and she no longer had the flexibility to do the jumps and spins that were so easy at 13.

My concern is that Sasha will be kept on a similar strict diet. And forget about her parents keeping a close watch on her condition. Eteri insists on maintaining strict control over her skaters and will not allow parents to interfere in their training.

Whether she stays small or not, her hips will widen, her legs will get longer, she will develop breasts, and her center of gravity will get lower. All of those changes will make it much harder to get up in the air high enough to get four revolutions. And if she keeps trying, she could injure herself in the effort.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
3A is useful if you can skate the rest on the very high level, which is not the case here. How much has she got with clean 3A, 137 points? That's still low for today's standards, where you have to score 145+ to have chances for podium. That's just a simple fact and not like i'm trying to bash someone.

Nagasu hasn't attempted a second 3A+2t, and probably never considered doing one. Most of her fully rotated 3As aren't clean, so she gets a score only slightly higher than a high quality 2A. So for her, the 3A is a risk. But perhaps it takes attention away from the UR issue.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

FYI only 5 skaters this season have scored 145+. I suppose the rest are low standard. :rolleye:

Mirai's also the first skater to do an 8-triple program at the Olympics. Who cares about the score - that's history. And she is world famous for it. Who cares if her PCS wasn't high enough and she didn't backload enough to clear 145?

Trusova doesn't skate the rest of her program on a particularly high level - the jumps are there and impressive but the program is lacking. Her spins aren't great (slow, not centred). I wish she had more finesse compared to someone like Kostornaia.

starla16

Medalist
Ando might be the first to land a salchow but todays ISU standards
it is obviously half a turn underrotated. I mean any non skater fan can see it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Nagasu hasn't attempted a second 3A+2t, and probably never considered doing one. Most of her fully rotated 3As aren't clean, so she gets a score only slightly higher than a high quality 2A. So for her, the 3A is a risk. But perhaps it takes attention away from the UR issue.

The UR issue is more of a thing of the past. Mirai's jumps are stronger now.

Note that she didn't get any UR calls in Pyeongchang - including all her 3F+3T and 2A+3T+2T attempts.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Ando might be the first to land a salchow but todays ISU standards
it is obviously half a turn underrotated. I mean any non skater fan can see it.

Not as bad as a half but arguably more than a quarter.

But those were the standards at the time... years from now, under stricter ISU standards with regards to pre-rotation, Trusova's attempt here might not be widely regarded as the first 4T because of the considerable pre-rotation.

starla16

Medalist
Not as bad as a half but arguably more than a quarter.

But those were the standards at the time... years from now, under stricter ISU standards with regards to pre-rotation, Trusova's attempt might not be regarded as the first 4T because of the considerable pre-rotation.

Trusova might have issues with her 4T , note she just started full training on them after JGP Final. So why dont we ask Shoma Uno and other men that have pre rotated quad jumps too ?

One thing for sure, Trusova is in the history books.

starla16

Medalist
If she keeps landing more quads

can we officially nickname her as "QUADRUSOVA" or "KVADRUSOVA" ???

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Trusova might have issues with her 4T , note she just started full training on them after JGP Final. So why dont we ask Shoma Uno and other men that have pre rotated quad jumps too ?

One thing for sure, Trusova is in the history books.

Exactly. She's in the history books! Shoma's 4F has some pre-rotation on it but according to ISU standards today it is ratifiable, and so - like Trusova - he is also in the history books for being the first to execute the 2nd hardest quad jump ever in his discipline.