2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 328 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And please, will someone give Bradie a fashion makeover (hair, makeup and costuming). Bradie could look downright gorgeous with a few tweaks.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Agree 100% with this. Based on what Doug Haw said about Bradie on TSL, Denise Myers is an excellent coach who has given Bradie very good technique. And from what I can tell and others who have seen her live have said, she is also musical. She just needs a great choreographer to bring her to the next level and Shae-Lynn certainly has a track record of doing that for skaters.

I think she has a great base, it's just this year's packaging makes her look like she's 15 instead of 20.

I would love to see Bradie work with Lori on her presentation, smoothing out her movements and just that overall polish and shine Lori is able to give skaters.

Then I'd send her to Shae Lynn for some programs.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Same thing people said about Gracie when she moved to Frank and we know what happened.

To Frank's credit he turned Gracie into an infinitely more pleasant skater to watch. I question the majority of the music choices they gave her (just didn't fit her powerful style and lack of grace) but there's no denying he did wonders for her presentation.

klutzy

On the Ice
Mirai said she would continue. Angela strongly indicated she’d be here for next season. Ashley is still keeping her options open.

On the GP we should have;

Bradie
Karen
Mariah
Mirai
Angela (1 spot)

And if they really barter for it, Starr and Ting could get one spot a piece.

The question is will they push Starr and Ting to stay juniors or will they move them up so they can get senior experience sooner.

Amber Glenn is beautiful to watch--she's had an issue with nerves, but she might get another shot.

Wonder how Polina's foot is doing.

frida80

Record Breaker
Amber Glenn is beautiful to watch--she's had an issue with nerves, but she might get another shot.

Wonder how Polina's foot is doing.

Amber will have to wait. Her SB was 150 and she was 8th at nationals with 165. Angela was 7th in the 180's. USFS will want to vouch for Angela. But Amber needs another season to prove herself.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I actually really liked Gracie’s sleeping beauty program - Tchaikovsky is not at all comparable to the literal Disney princess
program of Bradie’s. Hope Bradie can get some better programs for next year - I vote for Shae Lynn.

steiner

Rinkside
Bummer about Karen, and I’m also a little sad Ashley declined. I would have liked to see La La Land at Worlds.

andromache

Record Breaker
Wanna know why Karen pulled out. Boot problems? :rolleye:

I feel bad that she has been attacked by her boot company, but I'm also tired of the drama with her. Hope she takes all of this as an opportunity for a clean slate next season with a new coach.

Not surprised Ashley declined the spot, but a bummer nonetheless.

I can't imagine Mariah is that well-prepared? I wish her luck though. Her bad LP has kind of grown on me throughout the season. Still bad, but she was able to make it better than it started.

just wondering

On the Ice
Wanna know why Karen pulled out. Boot problems? :rolleye:

I feel bad that she has been attacked by her boot company, but I'm also tired of the drama with her. Hope she takes all of this as an opportunity for a clean slate next season with a new coach.

Not surprised Ashley declined the spot, but a bummer nonetheless.

I can't imagine Mariah is that well-prepared? I wish her luck though. Her bad LP has kind of grown on me throughout the season. Still bad, but she was able to make it better than it started.

Perhaps Mariah is more prepared than a typical 2nd Alternate. She certainly would have had eye-witness insight into 1st Alternate Ashley's preparedness level. Plus, in an Olympic season, moreso than other seasons, I bet alternates stay on their toes (and hopefully their feet ;)) for spur-of-the moment upgrade opportunities.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Nice to see Mariah getting the chance to go. Her French boyfriend Romain is also going - so hoping she’s been training too?
I would have loved to see Ashley skate La La Land again though in her gorgeous lavender dress.
Is Karen getting a new coach? I kind of feel bad for her about this whole boot drama, but at the same time I think she needs to grow up with the complaining about not being able to be with mommy 24/7 and she needs to take more responsibility for herself.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I think Karen should go to Denise Meyers. She already has the beautiful choreography and packaging and just needs work on her jumps. Denis has been a good coach in that regard and has done well with Bradie.

frida80

Record Breaker
Of course it's because of boot issues. Her boot company dumped her weeks before Worlds. She can't just change to anyone. It's going to take her several months to find a new company. Losing Avants this close to Worlds is a nightmare. She's said repeatedly said that they were the only boots that worked for her and she was close to retiring before finding them. Very sad.

andromache

Record Breaker
Of course it's because of boot issues. Her boot company dumped her weeks before Worlds. She can't just change to anyone. It's going to take her several months to find a new company. Losing Avants this close to Worlds is a nightmare. She's said repeatedly said that they were the only boots that worked for her and she was close to retiring before finding them. Very sad.

They evidently didn't work for her considering she had issues with them at the Olympics....

frida80

Record Breaker
They evidently didn't work for her considering she had issues with them at the Olympics....

All skaters have random problems with boots. This may have been a one off thing that could've been corrected. It's a shame that the company decided to have a diva moment instead of working to correct these problems in the future.

[Mariah's] French boyfriend Romain is also going - so hoping she’s been training too?

I'm sure she's ready. :yes:

About Karen Chen and her boots. I am not an expert, but there are lots of boot makers which have produced serviceable products for thousands of skaters, including world and Olympic champions. Are Karen's feet so unusual that there isn't a boot out there that she can wear?