2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 329 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

frida80

Record Breaker
I'm sure she's ready. :yes:

About Karen Chen and her boots. I am not an expert, but there are lots of boot makers which have produced serviceable products for thousands of skaters, including world and Olympic champions. Are Karen's feet so unusual that there isn't a boot out there that she can wear?

Considering that she's gone threw so many boots, it's say yes.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
She has flat feet and some ankle issues ... I don’t know what else.
I don’t know if other skaters have issues with flat feet? Are they able to find boots?
I find it hard to believe that she can wear out boots faster than like Nathan Chen and all his quads. Maybe part of it is psychological as it seems that she was very attached to her boots from the company that went out of business.

andromache

Record Breaker
Considering that she's gone threw so many boots, it's say yes.

I thought (from reading Michelle Kwan's and Tara Lipinski's autobiographies in middle school) that elite skaters got boots custom made.

I'm not doubting that Karen is having very real problems with her boots, but at a certain point, one wonders if it's a matter of sucking it up and making the adjustments necessary to train and compete in a pair of serviceable boots. I imagine that no pair of skates is 100% perfect for anyone, but you get used to them and make adjustments, and then make sure your next pair of skates is identical to the pair you got used to.

Elaine Zayak lost, like, half of her foot in a lawn mower accident, and she figured out how to make her boots work for her.

tothepointe

On the Ice
And please, will someone give Bradie a fashion makeover (hair, makeup and costuming). Bradie could look downright gorgeous with a few tweaks.

Isn't it nice though to have a national champion whose problems are basically cosmetic. Get her a new look and choreography and let her fly.

tothepointe

On the Ice

About Karen Chen and her boots. I am not an expert, but there are lots of boot makers which have produced serviceable products for thousands of skaters, including world and Olympic champions. Are Karen's feet so unusual that there isn't a boot out there that she can wear?

She's stated in interviews that she's happiest in brand new boots. Almost all of the boot companies can do custom work but if you need brand new boots all the time unless your able to pay for them it might be a problem. If she was on top it might not be a problem to find another company. When Nathan was having issues Jackson sent him 6 new pairs. But they are a much larger company and I think Nathan probably just wears a modified stock boot so it doesn't really cost Jackson all that much or take all that much time. And the goodwill they get from it more than pays off. Every closeup of Nathan tying his skates in promos is free advertising.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Didn’t Karen wear her brother’s boots at a competition before because no other boots could work for her? I find this kind of crazy.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Wanna know why Karen pulled out. Boot problems? :rolleye:

I feel bad that she has been attacked by her boot company, but I'm also tired of the drama with her. Hope she takes all of this as an opportunity for a clean slate next season with a new coach.

Not surprised Ashley declined the spot, but a bummer nonetheless.

I can't imagine Mariah is that well-prepared? I wish her luck though. Her bad LP has kind of grown on me throughout the season. Still bad, but she was able to make it better than it started.

She trains with Ashley and the same coach. if she is not well prepared shame on Raf! He certainly was in a position to know what was going on with both of them.

andromache

Record Breaker
She trains with Ashley and the same coach. if she is not well prepared shame on Raf! He certainly was in a position to know what was going on with both of them.

True - I am sure she knows Ashley wasn't going to Worlds under any circumstances.

I'm just thinking it's pretty late notice compared to the time Max and H/B have had, plus I don't think the three US lady Olympians were on anyone's radar to withdraw, since none of them are on the retirement track or have struggled with injury this season.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Maybe a too stiff boot would aggravate her ankle.

I wonder why Karen didn’t withdraw earlier if she really has no suitable boots.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Possibly. I have seen it posted a few times that she broke he ankle and it healed a bit wonky. The result being some of bones kinda stick out so it makes it harder for her to find boots with ankle support that fits, plus it causes her pain, and it wears out faster. And she has some other quirks.

She likely does need custom boots, but she likely needs a few trial and error pairs to find what works. I am sure it is possible from a craftsmanship standpoint, but from a logistical/financial/able to skate standpoint it might be more difficult.

She also had a brand that did work for her that when out of business. So much of her boot issues really were her trying to find a replacement. Which I always thought was valid and time consuming. I mean it takes time to try out a new boot after all... if you are trying more than one, it just logistically takes time to break them in and access them.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I'm just thinking it's pretty late notice compared to the time Max and H/B have had, plus I don't think the three US lady Olympians were on anyone's radar to withdraw, since none of them are on the retirement track or have struggled with injury this season.

Actually, I think some people expected Mirai to withdraw.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

TSL made a point of saying they had heard she was going to compete during their junior worlds broadcast, so i think it is fair to say some at least wondered. Regardless of anyone's personal opinion of them or their reliability, if they said something like that, they likely were being asked, and if they were being asked people at least wondered if not expected.

Honestly i did expect one of them to just because is usually happens. Between burnout, injuries, boot problems, other opportunities, etc. i did expect at least one replacement.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Ashley posted on Instagram that she told Mariah to keep training because she wouldn’t be accepting the alternate spot should it be offered to her so I have a feeling Mariah is at least decently prepared. The key for Mariah will be that short program I think.... but honestly it’s up to Mirai and Bradie to keep three spots, probably.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Ashley posted on Instagram that she told Mariah to keep training because she wouldn’t be accepting the alternate spot should it be offered to her so I have a feeling Mariah is at least decently prepared. The key for Mariah will be that short program I think.... but honestly it’s up to Mirai and Bradie to keep three spots, probably.

Truth. Mariah is just as unreliable as Karen, so the situation didn’t change at all by switching the two. Mariah NEEDS to land her 3-3 and everything else and not make silly mistakes.

mrrice

Record Breaker

I know I did. After seeing her jetting around with Adam, I fully expected her withdraw just like he did. I am happy to see that she's going to go.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
I know I did. After seeing her jetting around with Adam, I fully expected her withdraw just like he did. I am happy to see that she's going to go.

I guess I didn't expect her to withdraw because this is only her third worlds. If she was a skater like Ashley who had gone to countless worlds I think she would have withdrew but the truth is, this should be exciting for her as well because she hasn't been an every year world competitor. Her second time going to worlds was also an alternate spot. I hope she embraces the opportunity but I am a bit worried for her. I hope she has been training because it would be really awesome to see her nail these worlds.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Good luck to Mirai, Mariah, and Bradie at Worlds. :yay:

I guess that USFS does not hold pre-Worlds media calls in an Olympic year? I had forgotten.

... After seeing her jetting around with Adam, I fully expected her withdraw just like he did. I am happy to see that she's going to go.

I do not consider Mirai's one trip to LA with Adam to be "jetting around." YMMV.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I hope for Mirai’s sake she has been training. If she really wants to be a ‘star’ - poor programs and no successful 3A won’t help.

tosca

On the Ice
I hope for Mirai’s sake she has been training. If she really wants to be a ‘star’ - poor programs and no successful 3A won’t help.

Mirai LITERALLY just posted that she went to train a little bit more and went to the rink during a glow skate. hahaha