2018 Worlds Pairs Free Skate | Page 57 | Golden Skate

2018 Worlds Pairs Free Skate

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm sad that it impacts the skaters directly, but, Chinese federation, this is karma right here.

Good lovely podium. I wish none of them retired.

What did the Chinese fed do? Did they compel S/H not to compete?

That is craaaaaaazy China has only 2 spots now. Worse than Japan not having 3 spots in ladies or mens, or Russia no longer having 3 spots in ice dance. Like, that's China's THING.

- - - Updated - - -

There has never been a second half bonuns in the SP. in 2014 the required lift was from group 5. That is why V/T´s WR is still alive.

Ah right right... thank you for clarifying!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The ones who started to watch FS this year, for example, like my younger sister and her friends. They find the program amusing.

I think that was the idea, like I enjoy a dramatic and emotional performance as much as the next person, but there's something refreshing about a program that doesn't take itself too seriously? Ah I don't know anymore.

Nothing can top though plastic stars from French Grand Prix this season. And we thought that nothing can be funnier than ordinary plastic medals.

OMG those were so weird! Why did they think it was a good idea? They must have been a pain for the medallists to pack! I'm almost afraid to see what France comes up with next year!

MIM

Medalist
The ones who started to watch FS this year, for example, like my younger sister and her friends. They find the program amusing.

It is great that your sister started to watch figure skating and it is always good thing more and more people introduced to the sports.
But if your sister and friends found the program amusing, think about how much she would have liked if the program were amusing AND tasteful. Come on, your sister deserves better. So do T/M.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well i hope when the ladies lose the 3rd spot coupled with this disaster that the USFSA gets their head out of their ass and realize that something needs to be done and the same old thing isn't working.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
T/M programs are boring because they make them boring. If they interpreted just a teensy bit, then they would knock it out if the park everytime.

:shrug: I guess to each their own, I don't find T/M boring! Are they the most emotive skaters who ever lived, nope, but I think it's a bit unfair to say they have no expression at all.

But then you hear people complain about over-dramatic skaters? So, it's like how do you even come up with a program! If I was a skater I'd be afraid to do anything!

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Sure, skaters should skate to what they want. But they should also expect that their choice may be criticized.

Look, I've been a member here how many years? And I have ALWAYS championed programs that are avant garde or take risks or are outside the traditional warhorse/mushy romance paradigm that still defines the vast majority of any pair/dance program. But I also believe a program should fit the style of the skater(s). T/M have a plethora of talent and qualities. What they don't have are flashy showboaty personalities (that we have seen so far) or the kind of sexual chemistry and sass that would make that program work. It's a complete mismatch of skaters and program. And their team should have realized it early on and dumped the program for something that would put a spotlight on the very qualities that T/M DO have.

If they don't have someone who will say The Emperor Is Naked, then that's a problem they should address.

Well, i agree the programe is not suited their style perfectly. I think M/H could skate to it much better for example. But to be fair, we could say that for many other skaters. I dont see T/M as an exception. I just love to see varieties in skating and skating to different styles and i appreciate that. Even if that is not the perfect style for them, i can argue it is better for overall competition.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agreed. I can't believe that FS won a World silver medal. They should have definitely been behind J/C in the FS, but overall I think the placement was indeed correct. It's too bad for D/R or S/H because that was totally beatable for them, but S/M were the class of the field... that score will not be touched for a very long time. My only issue is that their programs have no high risk element - still two SBS 3T/3S, still no quad throw or twist... but everything they did execute was superb and the program itself was innovative and sublime. :love: While I wish it were a more technically ambitious team to break V/T's Sochi record (not to take anything away from V/T who were outstanding still), I'm glad it is a clean FS and SP+FS that finally has the record.

Why be more technically ambitious like a team like D/R who don't have the quality of elements that a team like S/M have. I'll take the slightly simpler program anytime.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What did the Chinese fed do? Did they compel S/H not to compete?

That is craaaaaaazy China has only 2 spots now. Worse than Japan not having 3 spots in ladies or mens, or Russia no longer having 3 spots in ice dance. Like, that's China's THING.

They mean the splitting up of Peng/Zhang and Yu/Jin and swapping the partners. As far as I understand it the Chinese Fed, Hongbo and maybe Zhang himself thought Yu would do better with him? Seems it was a very unpopular decision, so the fact that the new pairs didn't do as well as hoped sort of proves that it was a bad decision.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I simply can't get over the fact that Aliona is an ELEVEN time World medalist, including a gold at 34. And just got the highest FS (beating her previous record at the Olympics) and total ever. That is absolutely INSANE and inspiring.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well, i agree the programe is not suited their style perfectly. I think M/H could skate to it much better. But to be fair, we could say that for many other skaters. I dont see T/M as an exception. I just love to see varieties in skating and skating to different styles and i appreciate that. Even if that is not the perfect style for you, i can argue it is better for overall competition.

Listen, I would love them to skate to an avant garde program. There's a piece by Duke Ellington I have wanted skaters to use for years (it's used in the movie The Turning Point). There's a new age group called Penguin Cafe Orchestra that has some wonderfully quirky minimalist music that would make for some interesting programs (Perpetuum Mobile or Giles Farnaby's Dream or Steady State or on and on and on). They don't have to restrict themselves to the expected High Russian style.

I'm glad they took a risk. I'm sure they learned a TON about performing OUT and tapping into parts of their personalities they haven't before. What's really infuriating is that from the very first performance of that LP, it was criticized as a complete mismatch and they ignored it. You're never going to make everyone happy. But when the vast majority say, for instance, you look terrible in yellow, why would you waste your money on a lemon-colored sweater?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
They mean the splitting up of Peng/Zhang and Yu/Jin and swapping the partners. As far as I understand it the Chinese Fed, Hongbo and maybe Zhang himself thought Yu would do better with him? Seems it was a very unpopular decision, so the fact that the new pairs didn't do as well as hoped sort of proves that it was a bad decision.

Unpopular decision, but it actually worked out well for a while! Last season both P/J and Y/Z made the GPF with Y/Z getting silver, and then going on to win 4th at Worlds. This year I don't think it was an issue with the teams so much as the programs. Also let's not forget that Hao Zhang is ancient as far as pairs skaters go and placing 7th at Worlds at his age (33 or 36 depending on who you ask) is a huge accomplishment too.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Listen, I would love them to skate to an avant garde program. There's a piece by Duke Ellington I have wanted skaters to use for years (it's used in the movie The Turning Point). There's a new age group called Penguin Cafe Orchestra that has some wonderfully quirky minimalist music that would make for some interesting programs (Perpetuum Mobile or Giles Farnaby's Dream or Steady State or on and on and on). They don't have to restrict themselves to the expected High Russian style.

I'm glad they took a risk. I'm sure they learned a TON about performing OUT and tapping into parts of their personalities they haven't before. What's really infuriating is that from the very first performance of that LP, it was criticized as a complete mismatch and they ignored it. You're never going to make everyone happy. But when the vast majority say, for instance, you look terrible in yellow, why would you waste your money on a lemon-colored sweater?

Real talk: she did... he did not. He looked stiff as a board during that performance. It was like watching an awkward prom dance. She actually conveyed personality, but he comes across like he's hated it since the very start.

Russian fed... PLEASE give them good vehicles. They're so talented technically - I know they can have programs that rival the top Russian pairs -- they already have the elements.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
It is great that your sister started to watch figure skating and it is always good thing more and more people introduced to the sports.
But if your sister and friends found the program amusing, think about how much she would have liked if the program were amusing AND tasteful. Come on, your sister deserves better. So do T/M.

It is questionable to judge what younger generations needs. You dont expect they enjoy seeing someone skating to classical music all the time. Because, they dont. The things are just changing, no matter if we like those changes or not (well its hard to like the changes). But new generations are new generations, something completely different from us ;)

DannyCurry

On the Ice
S/M : I don't like all the jumping elements in the 1st part of the program but it is packed with transitions, is creative and building up great intensity. Savchenko is bigger than legendary and Bruno has improved tremendously (plus, he's HOT). Unbelievably fabulous story and career for both of them.

T/M : Though I looove their SS, their Candyman will never grow on me. She did well on the sbs jumps this time. Her throw 3 loop often looks 2-footed to me but when I check the protocols, no negative GOE on that element. I must be blind.

J/C : Soooo happy for them. I'm so impressed by Vanessa, she managed to recover well after that hard fall on the throw salchow. She also looked doubtful going into the throw 3 flip but nailed it beautifully. Nerves of steel.

2 words : Great podium :love:

Lota

Record Breaker
Chinese lost the 3 spots? Maybe it's time to put back Yu/Jin. :ghug:

Don't play with my emotions :sad21: I was just rewatching their Humility and Love LP during one of the resurfacings and different commentators throughout various performances were just in awe of their skating and connection, calling them the future of Chinese skating and future World Champions :cry:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
:shrug: I guess to each their own, I don't find T/M boring! Are they the most emotive skaters who ever lived, nope, but I think it's a bit unfair to say they have no expression at all.

But then you hear people complain about over-dramatic skaters? So, it's like how do you even come up with a program! If I was a skater I'd be afraid to do anything!

Well, You still get scores wether you're expressionless or over-dramatic

But the ones that actually manage to get it right should be rewarded for it

Since not everybody can

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You're never going to make everyone happy. But when the vast majority say, for instance, you look terrible in yellow, why would you waste your money on a lemon-colored sweater?

Well that would depend on who was saying it? Did any judges actually say anything to T/M about it? Did the Russian Fed? Would you expect skaters to take the opinions of some random people on a message board into consideration? I wouldn't.

I hear T/M got a lot feedback on the program on their social media, however, I imagine it was very unpleasant and mean feedback, in which case I'd dismiss it as a bunch of haters and if anything be more determined to do the program.