2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 334 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Like it or not, Nathan is currently the face of US figure skating - he has way more fans and sponsorship than any of the ladies. Apparently Nike was fine sponsoring him even though he’s a male competing in what you call a “women’s sport”
He’s clearly the Stars on Ice headliner - again quite amazing considering this is a woman’s sport
It’s spelled Michelle Kwan, not with a Q btw

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As an outsider...I'm no American. Bradie did well but was pretty bland compared to Wakaba and even Loena. Her skate was excellent (won't be going into calls and such) but to a viewer pretty boring. If that could be worked on as well....

It is Bradie's first year competing as a senior lady. I'm sure her presentation will improve. 6th at Worlds your first time out is an excellent result.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I stand by what I said about figure skating being a women's sport. It'a one reason it gets compared to gymnastics which has always been 'all about the women'.

The NBC Olympics coverage and promos seem to have suggested otherwise.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, we don't need a third spot...

True. It wasn't a good showing at Worlds, and our skaters aren't competing for medals. 2 spots is what the US deserves, to be completely honest.

Canadian ladies placed 9th and 17th at 2016 Worlds. In 2017, they placed 2nd and 3rd. 2018? World Champion.:)

What we "need"? What we "deserve"? I don't see the point of such language. Each country gets the number of spots that the previous year's competitors earned. Last year, thanks to Karen and Ashley, and for the previous 4 years, thanks to Ashley and Gracie, we earned 3 spots. This year, we earned 2 spots, and it was Bradie, our least "seasoned" lady, who did the heavy lifting. But Mirai held up her end, and Mariah heroically pulled herself up FIVE places, from 17th after the SP to 12th overall. I'm proud of all three of them. In figure skating, anything can happen! If today's Ladies competition didn't demonstrate that to you, well ....

Having said that? yes, it's going to be harder to earn a 3rd spot back than to keep it. Then again, I don't know ... we'd have to ask Gracie, Ashley, Polina and Karen how "easy" it was to keep 3 spots!!

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
This was a disaster. Complete. Disaster. Also I love how nobody gets annoyed at Bradie being sour over not winning the bronze medal... still love Mirai and felt she was slightly underscored!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This was a disaster. Complete. Disaster. Also I love how nobody gets annoyed at Bradie being sour over not winning the bronze medal... still love Mirai and felt she was slightly underscored!

Where in the world was Bradie "sour" about not getting bronze? Link please.

andromache

Record Breaker
All of the Bradie hate I've been seeing since Skate America has just turned me into a Bradie stan. She's not perfect and has a LOT to work on, but she has more grit than any US lady of the past decade. I respect that! This has been her first senior season, and she beat every other US lady in every single face off. That's not politics or an occurrence or two of biased judging.

I have a lot of love in my heart for the other top US ladies of the past 4 years - Ashley, Gracie, Mirai, Mariah, and Polina - but I am not going to begrudge Bradie her success on their behalf. She's shown grit during her first season at seniors, and I respect that. Less than a year ago, I scoffed heartily at the idea that Bradie's SkAm assignment really mattered, since it wasn't like she was in danger of making the Olympic team anyway, and I was wrong. I was SUPER wrong. And I'm so happy I was! She has a gorgeous 3-3 and I like her confidence. It's a great foundation to build on.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yeah...I haven't heard a word about Bradie being "Sour" Her 4th place in the FP was quite an accomplishment with this field.

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States

The only thing I've seen is a Jackie Wong tweet where the thinks Bradie got hosed, but that's the only person I've seen any comment like that from.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States

TSL twitter lol who the hell knows If she actually said it I just found it funny. Tbh I would’ve placed mirai above Maria Leona and Gabby tho... that Shin Amano! Also who’s going to worlds next year with 2 spots? Bradie and Mirai? Or is Ting old enough? I like her. Or is Ashley coming back??

reneerose

Final Flight
I'm warming up to Bradie a little. Hoping Polina comes back full time, but that nagging foot injury makes me skeptical. Hoping for Starr Andrews to eventually break through some day. And Mariah should not be counted out.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Mirai didn't exactly come through for Team America this time. Worse yet, she didn't even try.

Ur kinda right I wish she went for the axel. It’s a shame Ashley withdrew because she could’ve really helped if she was prepared, she could’ve at least beaten sotskova and daleman If she had to to get the USA 3 spots

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Mirai seemed over it. And unfortunately this outing isn't going to help her in her goal to become a "star".

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Mirai seemed over it. And unfortunately this outing isn't going to help her in her goal to become a "star".

The Triple Axel is the only star quality she has. Is she going to try to build a career off one jump in a team competition?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unless a Gracie type comes along in the next season or two the US Ladies will be stuck with two spots for the foreseeable future. Bradie showed she can make top 6 but now the US needs someone else who can finish as high or higher. Karen can do it but she's to unpredictable from competition to competition. When Gracie came along the US already had someone who was already near the podium and judges showed even during Gold's first year as a Senior that she was someone who was going to be contending for the podium herself soon not sure the judges see the same in Bradie so it will take someone with probably greater potential to get in that final group.