Which man will win (and medal) at Worlds? | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Which man will win (and medal) at Worlds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly

On the Ice
Well, I am from the US, so it does annoy me how much misinformation people directly around me get from the media. They basically think Nathan is Yuzu and has been dominating the sport for the last couple of years, and when I tell them there is a Japanese skater who has all the records and is actually a favorite to win, they get really confused. Many of them thought that Nathan's score at the Olympics was a world record, and when they're told otherwise, they can't comprehend it because he landed the most quads so how could anyone score higher? Anyway, I don't mind casual fans at all, but it does get a bit annoying when the casual fans are not just ignorant, but have outright misconceptions that are hard for them to reconcile with reality because they were introduced to the sport in such a biased way.

Those casual viewers who think Nathan is Yuzuru misinterpreted the news of the media
hype because they knew little about figure skating. Misinterpreting does not equal to being misinformed.

Because it is these type of fans/media that come with statements the OG Gold is Nathan's Gold to lose or Nathan gifted the OG Gold to Yuzuru(Olympic threads).

And we have to Constantly and repeatedly hear that for the next 4 years, ever since the Olympics ended.

I didn't see any media said the OG Gold is Nathan's Gold to lose. As for some fans opinions, people believe what they want to believe.
No matter what, Yuzuru is 2-time OGM besides Dick Button.

shine

Record Breaker
My original pt in that post before Worlds (which Jenaj replied to )was that overhype added more pressure to Nathan at OG. Jenaj was insisting Yuzuru was also hyped a lot as Gold contender in 2014.
And my original post was only intended to address the part where you complained about having to deal with media hype on Nathan for the next four years. My point was I've actually had to deal with worse and actually tangible outcomes.

Oh, Media hype does translate into real scores. Case in point Nathan's 91 pts PCS at Worlds.Before Nathan fans jump on that(again), do a video detailing each transition , etc that would justify the 91 pts PCS. One has already been done by Yuzuru fans on Yuzuru's 2017 Worlds and 2018 OG LP
Sorry, there's simply not enough causality between the two. Going by your logic, he should've gotten higher PCS at the Olympics for that skate since the US media hype was at its highest then, but he didn't. His score at worlds--inflated or otherwise--probably had much more to do with him skating last in the entire competition and him almost landing 6 quads in one of the worst skated final flights we've ever seen filled with all sorts of falls, than any sort of media hype.

yude

Record Breaker
This. I nabbed a premium seat for the Men's SPs which put me in the media section right behind the judges. There were these american journalists in front of me. They had no idea who Hanyu was. They had no idea why I had a Pooh bear and was wearing yellow ears. Hearing "who is Yuzuru Hanyu?" with the rink and Olympic rings right there in front of me was a :shocked::shocked::shocked: kind of moment.

:sad4::sad4::sad4:

narcissa

Record Breaker
Those casual viewers who think Nathan is Yuzuru misinterpreted the news of the media
hype because they knew little about figure skating. Misinterpreting does not equal to being misinformed.

I didn't see any media said the OG Gold is Nathan's Gold to lose. As for some fans opinions, people believe what they want to believe.

I don't mean they actually thought Nathan was Yuzu, lol, but that they thought Nathan was in Yuzu's position (i.e. the one everyone was chasing, record holder, dominant wins throughout the quad, etc.) so much so that they were surprised when they learned that Yuzu existed, lol.

Kelly

On the Ice
I don't mean they actually thought Nathan was Yuzu, lol, but that they thought Nathan was in Yuzu's position (i.e. the one everyone was chasing, record holder, dominant wins throughout the quad, etc.) so much so that they were surprised when they learned that Yuzu existed, lol.

That's what I meant too.

eaglehelang

Final Flight

https://article.wn.com/view/2018/02/08/The_Mens_FigureSkating_Gold_Is_Nathan_Chens_to_Lose/
Someone posted it at the Olympic threads. Where else did you think those fans get the idea.

It wouldn't matter if we dont get bashed or called 'you just jealous your favs didnt win' or whatever else on the web. In other words, it matters cos they disturb me(i.e troll in western sense) till I have to block them on social media.
And I thought only the political posts were this bad with upcoming election. Come to think of it, flaming political posts is not so bad, hahaha. A couple of months every 5 yrs.

Mamamiia

Medalist

I am a very new Nathan fan and I am wondering how many times have Yuzu and Nathan have actually competed together and how many times did each win. Sometimes I read things like Nathan is not even at the same level with Yuzu because Yuzu is simply superior in every aspects. But I also know that Nathan has beat Yuzu more than once, in the past 2 years?Perhaps Nathan had lost to Yuzu dozens of times that I haven't heard of. When I see word like "dominant" I would imagine Juzu must have won at least 80% of the time over Nathan. Sorry, I just started to watch men's FS only about a month ago because of Nathan thanks to the media hype ;) and found some discussions here pretty confusing.

frida80

Record Breaker
I am a very new Nathan fan and I am wondering how many times have Yuzu and Nathan have actually competed together and how many times did each win. Sometimes I read things like Nathan is not even at the same level with Yuzu because Yuzu is simply superior in every aspects. But I also know that Nathan has beat Yuzu more than once, in the past 2 years?Perhaps Nathan had lost to Yuzu dozens of times that I haven't heard of. When I see word like "dominant" I would imagine Juzu must have won at least 80% of the time over Nathan. Sorry, I just started to watch men's FS only about a month ago because of Nathan thanks to the media hype ;) and found some discussions here pretty confusing.

Seven times exactly. Yuzuru has won four, Nathan 3.

narcissa

Record Breaker
Thank you! So they were even before OG. Doesn't sound that superior or dominant after all!

Funny, this is the first time I've heard someone use a head to head statistic in figure skating like this :laugh: Figure skating isn't tennis; not all competitions are created equal. On that note, skaters don't maintain their seasonal peaks for very long, and learning how to peak at the right time is part of the competition.

Yuzuru: NHK 2016, GPF 2016, Worlds 2017, Olympics 2018
Nathan: 4CC 2017, CoR 2017

Am I missing one? :biggrin:

Mamamiia

Medalist
To be fair, Yuzuru is a legendary skater. But even he has his off days.

Maybe he really is the absolute best. But majority who only watch figure skating once every 4 years, or who don't even bother watching Competition but simply curious about medals, would judge based on the most recent statistics, which is 3:3 and Nathanhad the most recent win(s?).Based on that I wouldn't say "gold is Nathan's to lose" is too out of line. After all the media audience is general public who don't spend hours in skating forum.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Funny, this is the first time I've heard someone use a head to head statistic in figure skating like this :laugh: Figure skating isn't tennis; not all competitions are created equal. On that note, skaters don't maintain their seasonal peaks for very long, and learning how to peak at the right time is part of the competition.

Yuzuru: NHK 2017, GPF 2017, Worlds 2017, Olympics 2018
Nathan: 4CC 2017, CoR 2018

I think Nathan scored higher than him at WTT 2017?

Mamamiia

Medalist

Yuzuru: NHK 2017, GPF 2017, Worlds 2017, Olympics 2018
Nathan: 4CC 2017, CoR 2018

You can bring all the aspects, but I find placement results from the same competition is the most convincing stat because 1) inflation and 2) like you said everyone has his peak. We can only look at result at the same timeline.

narcissa

Record Breaker
Maybe he really is the absolute best. But majority who only watch figure skating once every 4 years, or who don't even bother watching Competition but simply curious about medals, would judge based on the most recent statistics, which is 3:3 and Nathanhad the most recent win(s?).Based on that I wouldn't say "gold is Nathan's to lose" is too out of line. After all the media audience is general public who don't spend hours in skating forum.

I don't think think the general public cares too much about 4 Continents ;) which is unfortunate because it could really be a high profile competition (like Europeans), but right now it seems to get no attention. Mirai was a reigning two-time 4 Continents medalist but I was surprised to see the pre-Olympic media not mention it even once.

I think the general public cares first and foremost about the Olympics (with Yuzuru being the reigning Olympic champion), Worlds (where Yuzuru also won, beating Nathan, who came in 6th), and a small, small fraction of them care about the Grand Prix Final (where, once again, Yuzuru has won 4 times in a row, once again beating Nathan).

But of course the general public could have their opinions easily distorted by the media, which is what happened. Suddenly, 4CC is now a more important competition than Worlds :laugh:

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I don’t really want to argue - but Nathan placed 6th at worlds last year, not 7th lol

Status
Not open for further replies.