2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

hanyuyuzuru1207

Match Penalty
Yes I agree on the choreography! It’s good to switch it up and it would be nice to see them work with Shaw Lynn or Jeffrey
Yes. I think they shld definitely go for a more international appealing choreo. But apparently all Eteri girls go to 1 choreographer????

hanyuyuzuru1207

Match Penalty
There are 2 choreographers but their style is really similar
Are they the 2 men in the youtube vid? Sometimes the choreo has bad lines.. Like the posture and stuff..

But then Alena Ks Adios Nonino was perfect so
.. Maybe its the skater who makes the choreo perfect.

alvina9894

Final Flight
I hope Alena would have a new SP so she won't be skating to the exact music cut Jeffrey Buttle had for his SP in 06/07 and 07/08 season :palmf: Skaters often skate to the same piece but seldom a duplicate.
I love Alena but the first half of her SP is lack structure and the choreography screams mindlessness. Probably when these programmes were choreographed nobody expected them to appear internationally for five times.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
Are they the 2 men in the youtube vid? Sometimes the choreo has bad lines.. Like the posture and stuff..

But then Alena Ks Adios Nonino was perfect so
.. Maybe its the skater who makes the choreo perfect.

But posture is a fault of a skater not choreographer’s

hanyuyuzuru1207

Match Penalty
But posture is a fault of a skater not choreographer’s
I dnt knw but with russian ladies i do see a common stiffness in the upper body, that I dnt see with US skaters (not all)..

Etc radionova, sotnikova, zagitova and occasionally even Zhenya, trusova etc

I do not see this in Alena K though.
So maybe depends on the individual.

I thght it was due to a certain style of choreography at first and blamed russian choreos.

Mind u I love my eteri girls..

Just wnt outsourced choreo for once.

katymay

Medalist
Yes the mental strength of Eteri girls is the best. Which is why I became a fan..

But I do hope she considers her girls to be outsourcing their choreos to Jeff Buttle or Wilson etc.

They barely finish their choreos because they always seem rushed. Which is a shame becuz they are the most talented girls ever.
Agree. Not a fan of Eteris frantic programs. And watching some of the interclub competitions in Russia, the country has some talented choreographers.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Agree. Not a fan of Eteris frantic programs. And watching some of the interclub competitions in Russia, the country has some talented choreographers.

Agreed. Many times it just looks like they're going through the movements instead of actually performing them. Like Kostornaia's weird spiral with her arm wrapped around it, it's like it's just thrown in there to show she can do it. It was like Lipnitskaia's programs where you'd see a spiral or illusion thrown in there just because. Highlights like those are fine but they have to be highlighted with the music and be completed movements otherwise they just come across as just filler and half hearted. Editing down is a huge issue in many Eteri programs... like they could be so good and skaters could actually develop their performance skills if it didn't look like they were trying to get steps and transitions out of the way because the choreographic movements are so jam packed, and it's not always nice, finessed movements at that.

hanyuyuzuru1207

Match Penalty
Agreed. Many times it just looks like they're going through the movements instead of actually performing them. Like Kostornaia's weird spiral with her arm wrapped around it, it's like it's just thrown in there to show she can do it. It was like Lipnitskaia's programs where you'd see a spiral or illusion thrown in there just because. Highlights like those are fine but they have to be highlighted with the music and be completed movements otherwise they just come across as just filler and half hearted. Editing down is a huge issue in many Eteri programs... like they could be so good and skaters could actually develop their performance skills if it didn't look like they were trying to get steps and transitions out of the way because the choreographic movements are so jam packed, and it's not always nice, finessed movements at that.
In other words, the programs are quite disorganized and revolves around techniques than actual music notes. Thats why I wnt Outsourcing to NA choreographers who make programs like Seimei and Hope and Legacy that are in tune with the music.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
In other words, the programs are quite disorganized and revolves around techniques than actual music notes. Thats why I wnt Outsourcing to NA choreographers who make programs like Seimei and Hope and Legacy that are in tune with the music.

Can you just stop with NA :palmf: You know there is also the rest of the world. Jeffrey Buttle is pretty much hit (Yuzu's SPs) or miss (Rika's LP, Osmond's LP). Anna Pogorilaya's wonderful Per Una Cabeza SP wasn't a product of NA choreographer. David Wilson seems to have artistic block since Yuna's retirement. S/M have wonderful programs and they use European chorographers. Not to mention the most legendary Mao Asada's programs were made by TAT who IIRC isn't from NA. Outsourcing? YES! From NA? Not necessarily.

hanyuyuzuru1207

Match Penalty
Can you just stop with NA :palmf: You know there is also the rest of the world. Jeffrey Buttle is pretty much hit (Yuzu's SPs) or miss (Rika's LP, Osmond's LP). Anna Pogorilaya's wonderful Per Una Cabeza SP wasn't a product of NA choreographer. David Wilson seems to have artistic block since Yuna's retirement. S/M have wonderful programs and they use European chorographers. Not to mention the most legendary Mao Asada's programs were made by TAT who IIRC isn't from NA. Outsourcing? YES! From NA? Not necessarily.
Oh i c. So russian skaters rarely outsource choreos??

Like frm Europe and such.

Hmm. 15 to 18 year old Russian skaters critiqued for not having the effortlessly graceful skating of late 20s Yuna/Caro..

Is it the choreographer?

Hmm. They're packing in content (rigorously trained) but it's not as seamless and fluid as the best artistic skaters (during their most mature years) ever to grace the ice. Wow, could it be the choreo?

These Russian teenagers should do better despite posting record scores, hoovering up medals, and producing technical performances way above and beyond anything attempted before.

Clearly they need help.

Haven't we had enough concern trolling about Russian skaters poor art/skating skills/music/tanos/etc etc

alvina9894

Final Flight

Yes, even Alena's grace and musicality could not hide the flaws in choreography. There are just moments of choreographed ugly positions or awkward highlights here and there. Apart from that hand-wrap-around-leg spiral, other examples would include the weird gesture where she stretches out both arms after the step sequence and before the crossovers in SP, the hammer toe/leg-kicking before backward crossover into ina bauer in SP, and the exit of fan spiral in FS where she looks like she's going to roll over.

hanyuyuzuru1207

Match Penalty
Yes, even Alena's grace and musicality could not hide the flaws in choreography. There are just moments of choreographed ugly positions or awkward highlights here and there. Apart from that hand-wrap-around-leg spiral, other examples would include the weird gesture where she stretches out both arms after the step sequence and before the crossovers in SP, the hammer toe/leg-kicking before backward crossover into ina bauer in SP, and the exit of fan spiral in FS where she looks like she's going to roll over.
But Alena because of her talent and musicality makes it work, whereas other skaters the choreo flaws stand out more. But then again Anna, Alena and Sophia all have great upper body movement.

Tyranid

Final Flight
Agreed. Many times it just looks like they're going through the movements instead of actually performing them. Like Kostornaia's weird spiral with her arm wrapped around it, it's like it's just thrown in there to show she can do it.
There is a Russian slang word (originally Serbian) - khaltura (халтура). It means a poorly done job due to lack of interest, motivation, or a "why bother/who cares" type of mentality which has plagued Russia throughout it's history. I feel like that's what's going on with Tut's group. Because why bother if it's still gonna be a high score.

It's either this, or the fact that programs are too jam-packed with these spammy "bells and whistles" and it's too hard, physically, to change it. This squeeze-out of every hundredth point seems cheap and even desperate, IMO.

madison

Record Breaker
There is a Russian slang word (originally Serbian) - khaltura (халтура). It means a poorly done job due to lack of interest, motivation, or a "why bother/who cares" type of mentality which has plagued Russia throughout it's history. I feel like that's what's going on with Tut's group. Because why bother if it's still gonna be a high score.

It's either this, or the fact that programs are too jam-packed with these spammy "bells and whistles" and it's too hard, physically, to change it. This squeeze-out of every hundredth point seems cheap and even desperate, IMO.

I think on the contrary... they want everything to be perfect so therefore they exaggerate with overcrowded programs and even attention to details (I may say).

hanyuyuzuru1207

Match Penalty

Im hoping Eteri reads Golden Skate forums for serious feedback. Seriously.