2023-24 British and Irish Figure Skating | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2023-24 British and Irish Figure Skating

CelticRose22

Rinkside
Yeah. They are really not great at promoting stuff they do stream online.

I did finally find some Red Button listings - replied to @thatdarncat on the other thread

If they're showing the Free skates it on the Red Button they'll almost certainly be showing it on BBC Sport website/app and i-player as well.

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Yes being in the way of a public service, the BBC will be showing things more important, like reruns of Flog it and Escape to the country

(Me, bitter?)
I haven't heard anyone recently mention snooker. I thought snooker was one of the most important sports on BBC—certainly higher than figure skating:devil::palmf::rolleyes:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I haven't heard anyone recently mention snooker. I thought snooker was one of the most important sports on BBC—certainly higher than figure skating:devil::palmf::rolleyes:

Yes and no. Snooker is definitely higher than figure skating in the BBC's pecking order, but they are only interested in the three Majors:

1. The UK Championships in November / December (which clashed with the Bosphorus Cup and the Santa Claus Cup)
  2. The London Masters in January (which clashed with the European Championships)
  3. The World Championships in April / May (which doesn't clash with any skating events)

Whilst snooker is probably the reason that the BBC doesn't show Europeans, it has no bearing on their ability to show Senior Worlds.

It was on Eurosport that the snooker caused problems for figure skating, because they show the Majors and most of the other ranking events. Which badly affected their coverage of the Senior GP Series. But, now that Eurosport doesn't have the rights to the skating, snooker isn't a problem for us any more.

Incidentally, the current Eurosport deal for the snooker ends in 2026. For all we know, Barry Hearn may decide not to sell the snooker rights to other broadcasters any more after that, and instead keep them so that he can expand the reach of his own in-house streaming service, Matchroom Live. So, if the figure skating does return to Eurosport (which a lot of us hope), there may be one less thing for us to worry about.

But, nobody seems to know what the future of Eurosport will look like after the upcoming Summer Olympics. After their initial announcement a year ago that BT Sport and British Eurosport would be brought together under the TNT Sports name after the 2024 Summer Olympics, Warner Brothers Discovery have been very quiet. Their plans may have changed. They may have finally realised that merging the two services is more hassle than it is worth. That Eurosport viewers that are currently paying £7 a month to watch minor sports will not want to switch to a service that costs £31 a month due to the mainstream sports on it.

Hey, with all the changes going on in the media industry, we don't even know if WBD will still exist as a company this time next year. Eurosport may have different owners by then who have different ideas.

None of which helps those of us that follow the sports that they have rights to, and want to know where we can watch them.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
This is probably the shortest one of these TV Schedule posts that I have ever done. But, that’s what happens when Eurosport loses the rights and the BBC only shows LIVE coverage of the Frees.

And it is just the LIVE coverage of the Frees. There are no repeats on the Red Button channel, or highlights on BBC2 on the Sunday this year.

Also, I can’t remember the last time that we had a Senior World Championships without the clocks changing during them. This year, it is the week after Senior Worlds that we go onto Daylight Saving Time.

If only it would work out that way every year. It would make things a lot simpler for everybody…

Not long to go now. Despite what the BBC may think, the action starts tomorrow afternoon.

Hopefully the ISU YouTube Channel will stay clear, and we will be able to watch the whole event there.

CaroLiza_fan

BBC Red Button 1 (i.e. Standard Definition) is available via:

Digital terrestrial (UK only): Ch. 601 on Freeview

BBC Red Button 1 HD is available via:

Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 991 on Virgin Media UK
Digital satellite (UK only): Ch. 970 on Freesat
Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 970 on SkyDigital
Astra 28.2E, Transponder 46 (10.788V. DVB-S2 8PSK. MBaud 23,000. FEC 3/4)​

🇬🇧 BBC (All times GMT)

Thursday 21st March 2024
BBC RB1 21:45 – 02:00 Pairs Free LIVE

Friday 22nd March 2024
BBC RB1 22:05 – 02:00 Ladies Free LIVE

Saturday 23rd March 2024
BBC RB1 19:00 – 02:00 GMT Free Dance and Men’s Free LIVE

CelticRose22

Rinkside
As I suspected this confirms will be able to watch the Free Skates on i-player and BBC Sport Website/App as well as Red Button

I wonder as there isn't a highlights programme if the BBC might just take the ISU Feed? Will find out in due course and fingers crossed no geo-blocking for the ISU stream.

CelticRose22

Rinkside
Yes and no. Snooker is definitely higher than figure skating in the BBC's pecking order, but they are only interested in the three Majors:

1. The UK Championships in November / December (which clashed with the Bosphorus Cup and the Santa Claus Cup)
  2. The London Masters in January (which clashed with the European Championships)
  3. The World Championships in April / May (which doesn't clash with any skating events)

Whilst snooker is probably the reason that the BBC doesn't show Europeans, it has no bearing on their ability to show Senior Worlds.

It was on Eurosport that the snooker caused problems for figure skating, because they show the Majors and most of the other ranking events. Which badly affected their coverage of the Senior GP Series. But, now that Eurosport doesn't have the rights to the skating, snooker isn't a problem for us any more.

Incidentally, the current Eurosport deal for the snooker ends in 2026. For all we know, Barry Hearn may decide not to sell the snooker rights to other broadcasters any more after that, and instead keep them so that he can expand the reach of his own in-house streaming service, Matchroom Live. So, if the figure skating does return to Eurosport (which a lot of us hope), there may be one less thing for us to worry about.

But, nobody seems to know what the future of Eurosport will look like after the upcoming Summer Olympics. After their initial announcement a year ago that BT Sport and British Eurosport would be brought together under the TNT Sports name after the 2024 Summer Olympics, Warner Brothers Discovery have been very quiet. Their plans may have changed. They may have finally realised that merging the two services is more hassle than it is worth. That Eurosport viewers that are currently paying £7 a month to watch minor sports will not want to switch to a service that costs £31 a month due to the mainstream sports on it.

Hey, with all the changes going on in the media industry, we don't even know if WBD will still exist as a company this time next year. Eurosport may have different owners by then who have different ideas.

None of which helps those of us that follow the sports that they have rights to, and want to know where we can watch them.

CaroLiza_fan
One of the things I have found is that since Discovery bought the full rights to the Olympic Games; that ironically Eurosport coverage of Olympic Sports has reduced a lot. They still have a reasonable amount of skiing and Biathlon coverage but not a lot else. In terms of summer sports it's a desert. Back in the 90s and noughties there used to be loads of coverage of summer Olympic sports but now very little - i think they sometimes have a bot of Track Cycling but cycling is one of their pet sports like snooker. There has been no coverage of World Swimming Championships on British TV since 2019 which is pretty shocking really.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
This is probably the shortest one of these TV Schedule posts that I have ever done. But, that’s what happens when Eurosport loses the rights and the BBC only shows LIVE coverage of the Frees.

And it is just the LIVE coverage of the Frees. There are no repeats on the Red Button channel, or highlights on BBC2 on the Sunday this year.

Also, I can’t remember the last time that we had a Senior World Championships without the clocks changing during them. This year, it is the week after Senior Worlds that we go onto Daylight Saving Time.

If only it would work out that way every year. It would make things a lot simpler for everybody…

Not long to go now. Despite what the BBC may think, the action starts tomorrow afternoon.

Hopefully the ISU YouTube Channel will stay clear, and we will be able to watch the whole event there.

CaroLiza_fan

BBC Red Button 1 (i.e. Standard Definition) is available via:

Digital terrestrial (UK only): Ch. 601 on Freeview

BBC Red Button 1 HD is available via:

Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 991 on Virgin Media UK
Digital satellite (UK only): Ch. 970 on Freesat
Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 970 on SkyDigital
Astra 28.2E, Transponder 46 (10.788V. DVB-S2 8PSK. MBaud 23,000. FEC 3/4)​

🇬🇧 BBC (All times GMT)

Thursday 21st March 2024
BBC RB1 21:45 – 02:00 Pairs Free LIVE

Friday 22nd March 2024
BBC RB1 22:05 – 02:00 Ladies Free LIVE

Saturday 23rd March 2024
BBC RB1 19:00 – 02:00 GMT Free Dance and Men’s Free LIVE
Just to note, before anyone discovers it on the night and gets disappointed, that the BBC are only showing part of the ice dance Free. The FD starts at 5:30pm UK time, but the BBC coverage does not begin until 7pm. They will probably only show the final two groups.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just to note, before anyone discovers it on the night and gets disappointed, that the BBC are only showing part of the ice dance Free. The FD starts at 5:30pm UK time, but the BBC coverage does not begin until 7pm. They will probably only show the final two groups.

Good point. The reason being that they're showing netball on Red Button 1 from 16:45 to 19:00 GMT.

I wonder if the online coverage on Saturday will start at the start of the Free Dance. You would like to think so, as there is no obvious reason for them not to do so.

If they don't show the Free Dance in it's entirity online, and if the BBC showing some coverage results in geo-blocking of the ISU YouTube channel, there will be uproar from sksating fans if Phebe and James get through to the Free, and we can't see them because the BBC isn't on air yet.

CaroLiza_fan

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
If Phoebe and James get through to the free. I hope that they will, but I am not confident. They need a really clean skate (no leeway for an extended lift deduction) and also need teams above them to make mistakes. It is sadly possible that Lilah and Lewis will be the only British skaters to progress. Ed needs the skate of his life and others to make mistakes. Ana and Luke would need to be really clean with other pairs making mistakes. Unless she has suddenly upped her technical content, Nina needs others to really screw up.

The BBC do sometimes show the British skaters before joining the live competition, so they may still show Phoebe and James if they progress.

CelticRose22

Rinkside
Good point. The reason being that they're showing netball on Red Button 1 from 16:45 to 19:00 GMT.

I wonder if the online coverage on Saturday will start at the start of the Free Dance. You would like to think so, as there is no obvious reason for them not to do so.

If they don't show the Free Dance in it's entirity online, and if the BBC showing some coverage results in geo-blocking of the ISU YouTube channel, there will be uproar from sksating fans if Phebe and James get through to the Free, and we can't see them because the BBC isn't on air yet.

CaroLiza_fan

This from the link I posted earlier says "Saturday, 23 March (17:00-02:00) - BBC iPlayer, BBC Sport app and website and Red Button. So I am pretty sure the i-player and BBC sport streaming will cover the full Free Dance. Just won't be on Red Button.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
If Phoebe and James get through to the free. I hope that they will, but I am not confident. They need a really clean skate (no leeway for an extended lift deduction) and also need teams above them to make mistakes. It is sadly possible that Lilah and Lewis will be the only British skaters to progress. Ed needs the skate of his life and others to make mistakes. Ana and Luke would need to be really clean with other pairs making mistakes. Unless she has suddenly upped her technical content, Nina needs others to really screw up.

The BBC do sometimes show the British skaters before joining the live competition, so they may still show Phoebe and James if they progress.

I did include the "if" when I said it. ;) But, I really hope they do get through. Maybe I'm biased because I really like them, but I think they are our best bet at getting somebody through in addition to Lilah and Lewis.

These extended lift calls are a real curse. It is so hard for the skaters to tell, and us fans too.

Erm, I don't want you to take this to heart because it is probably down to autocorrect, but can I just point out a small mistake in your post? Mr. Bekker is Dutch, so his daughter uses the Dutch spelling "Phebe", with no "o".

This from the link I posted earlier says "Saturday, 23 March (17:00-02:00) - BBC iPlayer, BBC Sport app and website and Red Button. So I am pretty sure the i-player and BBC sport streaming will cover the full Free Dance. Just won't be on Red Button.

Thank goodness for that.

I can't see why they can't put the netball on one of the other channels, though. Here is the afternoon schedule on the available channels:

BBC1
BBC1 Scotland
BBC2
BBC Red Button 1
12:00 – 12:15: “BBC News”12:00 – 12:15: “BBC News”11:30 – 12:30: “The Hairy Bikers Go West” [R]11:45 – 14:00: “Rugby League Challenge Cup”. Leeds Rhinos v. St. Helen’s. LIVE
12:15 – 14:45: “Match Of The Day Live: Women’s Super League”. Manchester City v. Manchester United. LIVE12:15 – 14:45: “Match Of The Day Live: Women’s Super League”. Manchester City v. Manchester United. LIVE12:30 – 13:00: “Sam And Shauna’s Big Cook-Out” [R]
14:45 – 15:45: “Money For Nothing” [R]14:45 – 15:45: “Homes Under The Hammer” [R]13:00 – 13:15: “The A To Z Of TV Cooking” [R]14:00 – 16:45: “Women’s Six Nations”. France v. Ireland. LIVE
15:45 – 16:45: “Escape To The Country” [R]15:30 – 16:15: “Bargain Hunt” [R]13:15 – 14:15: “Agatha Christie: Lucy Worsley On The Mystery Queen” [R]
16:45 – 17:30: “Garden Rescue” [R]16:15 – 17:00: “Garden Rescue” [R]14:15 – 16:30: “Death On The Nile” [R]
17:00 – 17:30: “Scotland’s Weather – Our Changing Seasons” [R]
17:30 – 17:40: “BBC News”17:30 – 17:40: “BBC News”16:30 – 19:00: “Women’s Six Nations Live”. Wales v. Scotland16:45 – 19:00: “Netball Super League”. Manchester Thunder v. Loughborough Lightning. LIVE
17:40 – 17:50: “BBC Newsline”17:40 – 17:50: “Reporting Scotland”
17:50 – 18:50: “Gladiators”. Semi-Final 217:50 – 18:50: “Gladiators”. Semi-Final 2
18:50 – 19:35: “The Weakest Link”18:50 – 19:35: “The Weakest Link”19:00 – 19:45: “Empire Of the Desert Ants” [R]19:00 – 02:00: “World Figure Skating Championships” LIVE

What is to stop them from having the live coverage of the netball on BBC1 from 16:45 to 19:00, and showing the news and "Gladiators" earlier in place of some of these repeats? For example:

BBC1
BBC2
BBC Red Button 1
12:00 – 12:15: “BBC News”11:30 – 12:30: “The Hairy Bikers Go West” [R]11:45 – 14:00: “Rugby League Challenge Cup”. Leeds Rhinos v. St. Helen’s. LIVE
12:15 – 14:45: “Match Of The Day Live”. Women’s Super League – Manchester City v. Manchester United. LIVE12:30 – 13:00: “Sam And Shauna’s Big Cook-Out” [R]
14:45 – 15:15: “Scotland’s Weather – Our Changing Seasons” [R]13:00 – 13:15: “The A To Z Of TV Cooking” [R]14:00 – 16:45: “Women’s Six Nations”. France v. Ireland. LIVE
15:15 – 16:15: “Gladiators”. Semi-Final 213:15 – 14:15: “Agatha Christie: Lucy Worsley On The Mystery Queen” [R]
16:15 – 16:30: “BBC News”14:15 – 16:30: “Death On The Nile” [R]
16:30 – 16:45: “BBC Newsline”
16:45 – 19:00: “Netball Super League”. Manchester Thunder v. Loughborough Lightning. LIVE16:30 – 19:00: “Women’s Six Nations Live”. Wales v. Scotland16:45 – 02:00: “World Figure Skating Championships” LIVE
19:00 – 19:45: “The Weakest Link”19:00 – 19:45: “Empire Of the Desert Ants” [R]

OK, it would mean that the rest of the night's schedule would be running 10 minutes later on BBC1. But, the "10 O'Clock News" is already starting 5 minutes late, so what difference will it make if it starts 15 minutes late?

Sometimes you have to wonder if these schedulers are really thinking things through...

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

thatdarncat

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I did include the "if" when I said it. ;) But, I really hope they do get through. Maybe I'm biased because I really like them, but I think they are our best bet at getting somebody through in addition to Lilah and Lewis.

These extended lift calls are a real curse. It is so hard for the skaters to tell, and us fans too.

Erm, I don't want you to take this to heart because it is probably down to autocorrect, but can I just point out a small mistake in your post? Mr. Bekker is Dutch, so his daughter uses the Dutch spelling "Phebe", with no "o".

Thank goodness for that.

I can't see why they can't put the netball on one of the other channels, though. Here is the afternoon schedule on the available channels:

BBC1
BBC1 Scotland
BBC2
BBC Red Button 1
12:00 – 12:15: “BBC News”12:00 – 12:15: “BBC News”11:30 – 12:30: “The Hairy Bikers Go West” [R]11:45 – 14:00: “Rugby League Challenge Cup”. Leeds Rhinos v. St. Helen’s. LIVE
12:15 – 14:45: “Match Of The Day Live: Women’s Super League”. Manchester City v. Manchester United. LIVE12:15 – 14:45: “Match Of The Day Live: Women’s Super League”. Manchester City v. Manchester United. LIVE12:30 – 13:00: “Sam And Shauna’s Big Cook-Out” [R]
14:45 – 15:45: “Money For Nothing” [R]14:45 – 15:45: “Homes Under The Hammer” [R]13:00 – 13:15: “The A To Z Of TV Cooking” [R]14:00 – 16:45: “Women’s Six Nations”. France v. Ireland. LIVE
15:45 – 16:45: “Escape To The Country” [R]15:30 – 16:15: “Bargain Hunt” [R]13:15 – 14:15: “Agatha Christie: Lucy Worsley On The Mystery Queen” [R]
16:45 – 17:30: “Garden Rescue” [R]16:15 – 17:00: “Garden Rescue” [R]14:15 – 16:30: “Death On The Nile” [R]
17:00 – 17:30: “Scotland’s Weather – Our Changing Seasons” [R]
17:30 – 17:40: “BBC News”17:30 – 17:40: “BBC News”16:30 – 19:00: “Women’s Six Nations Live”. Wales v. Scotland16:45 – 19:00: “Netball Super League”. Manchester Thunder v. Loughborough Lightning. LIVE
17:40 – 17:50: “BBC Newsline”17:40 – 17:50: “Reporting Scotland”
17:50 – 18:50: “Gladiators”. Semi-Final 217:50 – 18:50: “Gladiators”. Semi-Final 2
18:50 – 19:35: “The Weakest Link”18:50 – 19:35: “The Weakest Link”19:00 – 19:45: “Empire Of the Desert Ants” [R]19:00 – 02:00: “World Figure Skating Championships” LIVE

What is to stop them from having the live coverage of the netball on BBC1 from 16:45 to 19:00, and showing the news and "Gladiators" earlier in place of some of these repeats? For example:

BBC1
BBC2
BBC Red Button 1
12:00 – 12:15: “BBC News”11:30 – 12:30: “The Hairy Bikers Go West” [R]11:45 – 14:00: “Rugby League Challenge Cup”. Leeds Rhinos v. St. Helen’s. LIVE
12:15 – 14:45: “Match Of The Day Live”. Women’s Super League – Manchester City v. Manchester United. LIVE12:30 – 13:00: “Sam And Shauna’s Big Cook-Out” [R]
14:45 – 15:15: “Scotland’s Weather – Our Changing Seasons” [R]13:00 – 13:15: “The A To Z Of TV Cooking” [R]14:00 – 16:45: “Women’s Six Nations”. France v. Ireland. LIVE
15:15 – 16:15: “Gladiators”. Semi-Final 213:15 – 14:15: “Agatha Christie: Lucy Worsley On The Mystery Queen” [R]
16:15 – 16:30: “BBC News”14:15 – 16:30: “Death On The Nile” [R]
16:30 – 16:45: “BBC Newsline”
16:45 – 19:00: “Netball Super League”. Manchester Thunder v. Loughborough Lightning. LIVE16:30 – 19:00: “Women’s Six Nations Live”. Wales v. Scotland16:45 – 02:00: “World Figure Skating Championships” LIVE
19:00 – 19:45: “The Weakest Link”19:00 – 19:45: “Empire Of the Desert Ants” [R]

OK, it would mean that the rest of the night's schedule would be running 10 minutes later on BBC1. But, the "10 O'Clock News" is already starting 5 minutes late, so what difference will it make if it starts 15 minutes late?

Sometimes you have to wonder if these schedulers are really thinking things through...

CaroLiza_fan
We don't have Sue Barker championing skating anymore, obviously nobody influential at the BBC who recognises Figure Skating.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Neither netball nor skating would warrant the news being rescheduled. It needs to be something pretty major for that to happen. I don't mind the gap in FD coverage quite so much when it is being caused by another sport which struggles to get the coverage it should. Netball suffers a lot from being a 'girls' sport.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Neither netball nor skating would warrant the news being rescheduled. It needs to be something pretty major for that to happen. I don't mind the gap in FD coverage quite so much when it is being caused by another sport which struggles to get the coverage it should. Netball suffers a lot from being a 'girls' sport.

They are very quick to reschedule the news for football or rugby, so why do they deserve special treatment and not other sports?

When they have so many things to try to fit into the schedule, live event coverage should be prioritised, and then the new programmes fitted around them. Repeats should only be used to fill in remaining gaps.

Having women's football on the main channels has greatly increased it's profile. Using this clash as an opportunity to have just one netball match on one of the main channels could give it a boost in the public consciousness. Which is only a good thing. Let's face it, a lot of people don't look near the Red Button channel, because it isn't included in any of the TV listings magazines or newspaper listings, and is out of the way on the EPG. (Same for the streaming on the website, for that matter). So, they don't know that these things are happening.

That's why I am so annoyed that there are no highlights of the skating on BBC2 on Sunday this year. Not because I watched it, because I never did. But because apart from us dedicated fans, most people won't know the event is even happening.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Weetos

Final Flight
I managed to track down the full results from the March qualifiers Here

The stream is not the best quality but it is on youtube and is free so I appreciate that!

thatdarncat

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
They are very quick to reschedule the news for football or rugby, so why do they deserve special treatment and not other sports?

When they have so many things to try to fit into the schedule, live event coverage should be prioritised, and then the new programmes fitted around them. Repeats should only be used to fill in remaining gaps.

Having women's football on the main channels has greatly increased it's profile. Using this clash as an opportunity to have just one netball match on one of the main channels could give it a boost in the public consciousness. Which is only a good thing. Let's face it, a lot of people don't look near the Red Button channel, because it isn't included in any of the TV listings magazines or newspaper listings, and is out of the way on the EPG. (Same for the streaming on the website, for that matter). So, they don't know that these things are happening.

That's why I am so annoyed that there are no highlights of the skating on BBC2 on Sunday this year. Not because I watched it, because I never did. But because apart from us dedicated fans, most people won't know the event is even happening.

CaroLiza_fan
I don't get why they haven't done a highlights program, they normally do. Before I found these forums the highlights programs was the only way I could watch skating, so sad that many casual viewers are missing out :(

Weetos

Final Flight
New Ice Dance team!

Looks like they will train in Colorado. I believe Tallulah is 17, not sure about Alex but I am assuming they will be juniors for at least the next season? If anyone knows them any better I will be interested to hear! Wishing them all the luck and good news for us GB spectators since GB was down to two junior teams again. If they are ready/eligible I think there is even an open JGP spot? GB should have 5 this year for ice dance.

Anyway here they are doing some twizzles together in Feb

Edit: Actually just checked and I think Mimi and Joseph will be juniors this year. I'll look forward to the August qualifier to see who shows up, it's always nice to have a bigger competition to watch!

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
New Ice Dance team!

Looks like they will train in Colorado. I believe Tallulah is 17, not sure about Alex but I am assuming they will be juniors for at least the next season? If anyone knows them any better I will be interested to hear! Wishing them all the luck and good news for us GB spectators since GB was down to two junior teams again. If they are ready/eligible I think there is even an open JGP spot? GB should have 5 this year for ice dance.

Anyway here they are doing some twizzles together in Feb

Edit: Actually just checked and I think Mimi and Joseph will be juniors this year. I'll look forward to the August qualifier to see who shows up, it's always nice to have a bigger competition to watch!

What is her partner's name? Alex -?-