2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating | Golden Skate

2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Let's get this season started ! 🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦

As the different sections have announced their summer series, with BC/YT event happening this weekend, it is time to start thinking about next year, which will be a very important one for Canadian skaters and fans, as Worlds are held in Montreal for the first time in decades !

Skate Canada hasn't yet updated their page with the summer events but each section has provided some information including entry lists.

I have posted the different events in the Summer Competition threads (located for now at the bottom of the forum).

Looking forward to seeing the GP assignments and the nominations for the National team and Next Gen coming soon.

2023-2024 Selection Guidelines for Senior Challenger and International Events:
Singles, Pairs & Ice Dance

Preference for assignments will be given to skaters/teams who have been assigned to an ISU Grand Prix event for
the 2023-2024 season.

Skaters/teams will be considered for assignments if they have consistently attained the following minimum
target scores:
o Internationally in the 2022-2023 season
o Domestically at the 2023 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships (CTNSC)
Senior Men Women Pairs Dance
Inter BM 199 155 154 154
Dom BM 213 166 165 165
Things we know :
Keegan has retired.
Wamsteeker has retired but Sales is planning to continue.
Soucisse and Firus now represent Ireland.
Chiu planing to skate a mixture of Junior/Senior events
Alteryd-Farand have split.
Chaima and Everest have split. She is on Ice partner search
Everest now skates with Jamie Fournier
I was worried about Fabbri-Ayer but they are indeed listed at CQÉ.
PIPER AND PAUL GOT GPs!!!!!
Uliana is listed competing at the next gen competition, so that would mean she got her release.
Matte and Ferland have split and both have new partners. Izzo-Ferland will be representing Canada Matte and Pierre will be representing France.
Farand is listed with a new partner, Fiona Bombardier, who is continuing singles as of now.
Corey Circelli now skates for Italy.
Izzo has retired.
Things we suspect :
Matte and Ferland would have split ? Thierry may team up with Izzo (they've been training together).
Piper and Paul retiring?

Things we don't know for now :
Uliana's eligibility ?
Soucisse-Firus released by Skate Canada?
They have.
Ferland and Izzo representing which Fed ?
Matte and partner representing which Fed?
Farand continuing ? Rumours say with Chloe Penetta.
Everest continuing ?
(see above)

Feel free to give me some more info. I am happy to update this post as we go.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
One of the question we were having, considering how brilliantly she did in competition this weekend : is Uliana eligible at this point? Last year she also took part in the BC/YT summer series which is a non qualifying event. However, her release never came in time for her to compete at Sectionals later on. With a score over 170, she would be a contender if she were allowed to skate for Canada.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
most of them, if not all, will be available for free online streaming :) and with archives :) Skate Canada and the Skate "provinces" use dailymotion.
That makes it even better. I'll be on holiday the second part of July, but August will see me watching some of these. I have experience with dailymotion (from other skate Canada broadcasts) and it works well over here in The Netherlands!

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Looking forward especially to the NextGen Team Camp and Championnats Québécois d'été. There have been a number of partnership changes among the top junior, novice and pre-novice pairs from Quebec, so am interested to see who qualifies to join Kemp/Elizarov on the JGP. Canada could be one of the few countries to max out its JGP pairs spots.

I'm impatient to know, but am guessing Skate Canada won't announce the NextGen Team until after Team Camp.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Does Uliana Shiryaeva is eligible right now to represent Canada ?

She was good at 2023 BC/YK Section Super Series Victoria Day :
SP : https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8lug5c?start=1838 (58.03)
FS: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8lv7ze?start=1367 (117.47)
Total score : 175.50

She could challenge Madeline Schizas, Kaiya Ruiter and Gabrielle Daleman if she is eligible for Canada this year ?
We do not know. BC/YK Section Summer series = not a qualifying event. So she is allowed to skate there. She did skate there last year and never got her release in time to skate at the sectional/challenger/national competitions. Technically, she is quite solid indeed. The others you mention have an advantage over her in the PCS department but they would indeed, need to land their jumps to compete with Uliana.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
SENIOR entries for CQÉ.
It seems like Jessica Li is back with Jacob Richmond. I liked them a lot together so I am happy but I am sad for Emmy who is a star and seems to be struggling to find a partner. :(

Look at the pairs ! I am GOING !
RamilisonMarek SimonSenior MessieursDorvalLC
BouchardJadeSenior DamesRepentignyLN
ClarkeMiaSenior DamesAcadémie Performance IsatisRS
DupuisSara-MaudeSenior DamesAnjouBA
FortinMarie-leeSenior DamesBaie-ComeauCN
FosterAudréanneSenior DamesBaie-ComeauCN
HeikkinenAnn-MarieSenior DamesPrince of Wales SCNL
IsabelleMayaSenior DamesSt-JérômeLO
LeBlancEstelleSenior DamesDieppe Gold BladesNB
LetiecFlorenceSenior DamesL'Ancienne-LoretteCACH
LussierJulianneSenior DamesMont-TremblantLO
LussierMia-CatherineSenior DamesMont-TremblantLO
MicletteJustineSenior DamesChamblyRS
MorinMagalieSenior DamesESG Drummond / St-CyrilleCC
PaquetteLaura F.Senior DamesESG Drummond / St-CyrilleCC
PerreaultCamilleSenior DamesMagogER
PomerleauMarie-MaudeSenior DamesLa SarreAT
RajotteAlysSenior DamesMagogER
SavoieMarie-RaphaëleSenior DamesEDISACACH
VézinaJulianneSenior DamesLes Tourbillons de St-IsidoreCACH
WadeAnnickSenior DamesDieppe Gold BladesNB
CarignanÉmySenior CoupleBouchervilleRS
BryanPierroSt-HubertRS
EthierLoucasSenior CoupleBromontRA
LaurinKelly AnnSt-JérômeLO
McIntoshBrookeSenior CoupleCanadian Ice AcademyON
MimarBenjaminCanadian Ice AcademyON
ProftEmmanuelleSenior CoupleMille-îlesLO
NadeauNicolasMille-îlesLO
StellatoDeannaSenior CoupleVaudreuilSO
DeschampsMaximeVaudreuilSO
Thibodeau-MailhotElizabethSenior CouplePlateau Mont-RoyalMC
VilleneuveDanielSherbrookeER
FabbriAliciaSenior DanseTerrebonneLN
PaulAyer
GauthierSandrineSenior DanseDu RoussillonRS
ThierenQuentinSt-Bruno
HensenLilySenior DanseIlderton SCON
LickersNathanIlderton SCON
JessicaLiSenior Danse
RichmondJacobSaint-LambertRS
AzusaTanakaSenior Danse
ShingoNishiyamaREPAMMC

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
In the junior dance category... I also noticed that Everest would now be skating with Jamie Fournier

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Pairs is almost like a mini Nationals - only Lia and Trennt are missing.
yeah.. that's why I am planning to go at this point. It is not really surprising however : all these pairs train in Québec except for M/M but Mimar is québécois...

Sackie

Medalist
I'm most excited to see how Lia & Trennt progress in this coming season.
Me too! But really hoping that after such a successful 1st year together they do not push themselves too hard. Last year they took things slow and added harder elements as they could - hope they do the same thing this year too. But I am sure after placing 6th overall and 4th in the free at your 1st worlds it will be tempting to push harder and come out strong right out of the gate.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Me too! But really hoping that after such a successful 1st year together they do not push themselves too hard. Last year they took things slow and added harder elements as they could - hope they do the same thing this year too. But I am sure after placing 6th overall and 4th in the free at your 1st worlds it will be tempting to push harder and come out strong right out of the gate.
I think the acquisition of the hard tricks is behind them now. They have managed to tick all those boxes without injury. I remember when Drew and Camille started working on the triple twist... all sorts of physical problems came...

The only area where they are not stellar are lifts but they still score well with them. They need to improve their choreo though... Lia can shine more. Trennt's presence could be improved. But moreover, there needs to be a better emotional connection between them, their music and the crowd. I like them. i think they are probably the most promising technically. However, I feel that all the other teams in the top 5, perhaps except the really young teams (Kelly Ann and Loucas) have a bit more of a dynamic presence. Even Ben and Brooke, who need to reach out more to the audience have something special with their long lines. I don't know. If Trennt and Lia are going to reach higher rankings, it will need some choreographic/interpretation drastic improvement. Of course, I am saying this based on last year's programs. Quite frankly, it would be completely expected that this wasn't a focus last year. This year though, it needs to be addressed for them to reach higher levels. I think they can do it and I hope they will !!!!