McBeath/Parkman

Juniors
Fletcher/Felberbaum
Flores/Wang
Grohne/Lunt
Park/Griffin
Williams/Lewer
Zheng/Deng

** Top U.S. pairs teams carrying the baton, with two assignments on the GP; Mokhova/ Mokhov competed last season on the GP, but they don't have high enough standing to get assigned this season, unless they nab one of the two TBD spots at SA.

*Efimova was reportedly released, but she must wait a year before repping the U.S. internationally

Liv Flores & Luke Wang Q&A

Jim Peterson shared on his Instagram pics from the recent pairs camp. He articulated the fact that the "baton has been passed" to a new generation. That is more than ever the sense I get for this season in U.S. pairs, especially with Alexa/ Brandon not returning. The chief remaining veteran from the prior generation, is Danny O'Shea. 🥰

Alexa/ Brandon leading U.S. pairs last season was very important for this new transition, with Calalang/ Johnson having opted to split and pursue other interests. I think Jessica wanted to continue, but how could she replace the perfect pairs partner? Anyway, I believe Jessica still coaches, and she enrolled at a local university. Ashley Cain is happily pursuing a show career (and I think she and Timothy still team up occasionally for exhibitions). Timothy was nabbed by Chris Knierim to help coach at the Oakton, IL rink, where Deanna/Max of Canada, recently visited.

The ISP pairs list looks rather skimpy, but there are numerous new teams and less experienced teams who are not yet eligible. Baram/ Tioutmentsev should no longer be on the list, due to the unfortunate age ineligibity rules. Plus, I think Efimova/ Mitrofanov should be eligible for the list after she waits a year -- she already has her release from Germany.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Plus, I think Efimova/ Mitrofanov should be eligible for the list after she waits a year -- she already has her release from Germany.
Yes, but that means she is sitting out the whole 2023/24 season, because she compteted at Worlds 2023. So Alisa and Misha can compete only domestically.
Katie McBeath / Daniil Parkman could be added for International Selection Pool alredady in the forthcoming season since Daniil wisely skipped not only the Worlds, but Europeans as well. :biggrin:
By the way, I think it is time to open the new season thread and post #368 and my reply belong there.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes, but that means she is sitting out the whole 2023/24 season, because she compteted at Worlds 2023. So Alisa and Misha can compete only domestically.
Katie McBeath / Daniil Parkman could be added for International Selection Pool alredady in the forthcoming season since Daniil wisely skipped not only the Worlds, but Europeans as well. :biggrin:
By the way, I think it is time to open the new season thread and post #368 and my reply belong there.
Yep, new season thread!

I realize Efimova has to wait an entire season. I indicated that in my above post. It's in the GP thread where I posted about the U.S. ISP list, that I forgot Efimova has to wait a season, according to the rules, despite the fact she's already been released.

I'm not sure why Baram/ Tioutmentsev are still on the ISP when they are both facing age eligibility restrictions for international competitions. They can still skate domestically. Perhaps US figsk was hoping age rules would be adjusted for males in junior comps. I don't think that has happened. [ETA: An interim exception recently was recently announced for eligible junior pairs teams].

Korytek/ Chapman are facing the same situation. But Ellie is slightly older than Sonia, so their waiting time will be less. The ISU was simply knee-jerk reactionary in switching the age rule again. 🙄 The rule should be adjusted to allow for individual age differences among pairs teams. Every skater is unique, so an across-the-board age rule isn't really fair. They should have concentrated on ladies singles anyway, where the problems arose.

Last edited:

midori green

On the Ice
I'm interested to see how Adele Zheng/Andy Deng do, too. I think they could age-wise do either jr or sr.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm interested to see how Adele Zheng/Andy Deng do, too. I think they could age-wise do either jr or sr.

According to Chris Knierim's interview in "This Week in Skating", they will skate junior. As a new team and as Andy evidently has a busy college schedule, they are easing into competition, although Chris thinks they are good enough to skate senior.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Tripe is a type of edible lining from the stomachs of various farm animals. Most tripe is from cattle, pigs and sheep. Wikipedia"

:dbana::laugh2:

But seriously, you're right, and I was thinking about the triple throws too. It reminds me of what Ashley Cain said; she'd never done triple twist when she and Timothy teamed up, and it took her a few months, because, she said, she didn't know what it was supposed to feel like in the air. Then they got it, just a few days before competing at their first Golden Spin in Zagreb. Someone else used the same phrase when saying how helpful it was to have a female pairs coach on the team ... Amanda Evora. She'd tell them how something was supposed to feel.
They were going easy last season and not putting triples into competitions. That doesn't mean they aren't doing them in practice. Last season was a LOT for Ellie. Partnering with Danny, winning their first international comp (who does that?), medaling in their 2nd International competition, medaling at their first US Nationals, going to their first CCS, going to their first Worlds. I mean he has been before, but she didn't have those experiences.

I have an iron clad source to find out if they are doing triple throws in practice. I will let yall know if I get any news.

Cats and dogs love tripe but it smells worse than you can imagine.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Katie McBeath / Daniil Parkman could be added for International Selection Pool already in the forthcoming season since Daniil wisely skipped not only the Worlds, but Europeans as well. :biggrin:
Daniil would have to be released by Georgia first. Hopefully, he won't be held for ransom.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So much goes on in figure skating-related Instagram posts and stories all over social media that it's difficult to keep up. I saw a story posted by TeamToddandJenni (Jenni Meno-Sand's Instagram account) in which four of the Irvine pairs teams are highlighted, including two new pairings, a re-pairing new to seniors, and another team new to seniors who can't compete internationally due to age restrictions: Korytek/ Chapman; Martins/ Bedard; McBeath/ Parkman, who execute a throw jump 😍; and ta-da: Liu/ Nagy will be training in Irvine (not surprising since Chelsea was trained by Jenni/ Todd in juniors and in seniors -- Balasz had trained in Colorado with Sappenfield previously, when paired with Kate Finster).

Go to Jenni's Instagram and click on the bio pic to see her stories, which includes a pic of a sweet gift to her and Todd from Audrey Weisiger 🥰

ETA:
The time is limited for viewing Instagram stories.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It really sucks that with the Russians banned the US after the 2022 Olympics had the strongest team in terms of depth for about 5 minutes then C/L retired and teams like C/J and L/M decided to breakup even though they both easily had another Olympic cycle in them and had a great chance to make an Olympic team especially with 3 spots. So now the top 4 US teams from just a little over a year ago are now gone. The US would have even more medals if C/J and L/M had stuck around last season with the weakened field.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ Jessica wanted to continue, but Brian was done after all the bad luck they experienced, including being denied two straight earned berths to compete at Worlds, due to circumstances completely out of their control. It sucks that the U.S. was so close to getting a third spot at Worlds in 2021, but no dice. Not gaining that 3rd spot for pairs, which they should have had by any measure with so many U.S. teams in the top 15 in World rankings, was a downer. That spot was needed for the top-notch C/J to have the best outright chances to go to 2022 Olympics and Worlds. Knierim/ Frazier and Cain/ LeDuc performed well enuf overall to gain a third spot in 2021, but U.S. fed simply do not know how to play politics in a pinch. That's my take.

For 2021 - 2022, who knows whether C/L felt like that was their last hurrah. I get the sense that Timothy wished to move on after the Olympic season no matter what. Seemingly, Ash might have desired to continue. She is certainly now looking very fulfilled by her show career with DOI.

IMO, perhaps the best case scenario post-2022 Olympics, was to keep tabs on Ash's ankle sprain sustained during the Olympics, or just outright name Calalang/ Johnson to Worlds 2022. In that way, C/J at least may have been motivated to continue for the following season. And Ash would not have suffered another concussion trying to perform back-to-back days at Worlds on an iffy ankle. If C/J had come back in '22 - '23, Knierim/Frazier likely wouldn't have returned. Ash would have been in good shape to return too, but I don't get the impression that Timothy desired to continue, regardless.

BTW, Audrey Lu split with Misha Mitrofanov because she desired to attend school in California, so that split was going to happen. Misha has had a difficult time since then with finding a partner. But he has now found someone promising in Alisa Efimova (her background is Finnish-Russian). She looked good skating for Germany last season with Reuben Blommaert. There are a lot of promising new pairs match-ups in the U.S., several of whom aren't eligible to compete internationally. But I'm expecting domestic pairs comps to be very robust and exciting this season.

There are two TBDs in pairs for the U.S. at Skate America. It's likely that eligible teams who have the best showing at summer tune-ups, will be chosen. So, yes this is a transitional, rebuilding period, but there's a lot to look forward to on the horizon. And let's not underestimate the skilled competitiveness and promise of our current top three teams on paper: Chan/ Howe; Smirnova/ Siianytsia; and Kam/ O'Shea. ✨⛸️

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Something that has me very confused: Wasa pairs published a congratulatory post on IG for its high school and college graduates...which included Ben Jalovick. If he's part of Wasa pairs, why don't we ever hear about him?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Something that has me very confused: Wasa pairs published a congratulatory post on IG for its high school and college graduates...which included Ben Jalovick. If he's part of Wasa pairs, why don't we ever hear about him?

Ben represents Switzerland with his partner Pauline Irman.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ben represents Switzerland with his partner Pauline Irman.
HOW did I miss this? I'm so excited for him!!!
BTW congrats to the other graduates - Ellie Kam - high school, Danny Neudecker, college and Cadence Floyd, elementary school.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^ Jessica wanted to continue, but Brian was done after all the bad luck they experienced, including being denied two straight earned berths to compete at Worlds, due to circumstances completely out of their control.

As far as I know, Brian has never said publicly that that was his reason. I don't think it's right to put words in skaters' mouths. But if you know of a quote from him to that effect, please share it.

What I recall of Brian's retirement IG post (I can't find his account now, seems to have been removed?) is just one small hint as to the reason for his retiring in 2022. That was a thank you to his trainer (and maybe massage therapist?) for keeping him physically able to skate. Pairing that with a post I read in another skating forum by a former ballet professional who retired early because of what he called a similar back condition to Brian's, I feel that's more likely.

But I'm not claiming this as the reason for Brian's retirement. He hasn't said, AFAIK.

For 2021 - 2022, who knows whether C/L felt like that was their last hurrah. I get the sense that Timothy wished to move on after the Olympic season no matter what. Seemingly, Ash might have desired to continue. She is certainly now looking very fulfilled by her show career with DOI.

I agree. Also, I recall Ashley's IG post (or maybe it was a quote from her in an interview) weeks or months after the fact, that she and Timothy had known that the Olympics 2022 season would be their last. It didn't surprise me, but that didn't stop it from breaking my heart. I still miss them, and their interpretation of pairs skating, so much. I love 😍 the diversity, the valuing of different styles. But I'm heartened by seeing other pairs pick up bits and pieces that I feel are Ashley and Timothy's influence.

... there's a lot to look forward to on the horizon. And let's not underestimate the skilled competitiveness and promise of our current top three teams on paper: Chan/ Howe; Smirnova/ Siianytsia; and Kam/ O'Shea. ✨⛸️

:bsplit:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ @skylark -- In regard to Brian's reasons for not continuing, you are correct that he didn't specifically express why. So, my thoughts are definitely my interpretation. I should have qualified that his unexpected retirement signalled to me that he "seemed" done, for a variety of reasons.

In an interview during the 2022 Olympics, Jessica made her disappointment clear regarding a skater being allowed to participate who had failed a drug test. I would imagine that C/J were both disillusioned by seeing that, especially after the 'metabolite substance in makeup' drug-related ordeal they went through, which hurt their training and their momentum during their final season.

Added to that they clearly went through several very difficult seasons, missing out on going to Worlds three times due to circumstances beyond their control. I believe there are probably multiple reasons why Brian chose to move on, including possible nagging injuries, other interests he wanted to pursue, in addition to the possibility of having lost motivation due to the very harsh bad luck they experienced. On the other hand, he may have never intended to continue toward another Olympics anyway.

My views of what C/J experienced are not intended to speak for Brian. It was made clear after their split that Jessica hoped to continue. At some point, though, she obviously decided to go to university full time, while continuing to coach young skaters.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This poor person....I sent condolences in advance for their loss. Yikes.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What about Liu/Nagy?
LOL! Of course, Liu/ Nagy are likely front runners for the SA TBD ahead of the other two teams I mentioned awhile ago. Please remember that when L/N first paired, it was unknown whether they would be skating for Hungary or the U.S. They were only recently added to the U.S. ISP list.

It goes without saying that L/N, once we knew they were repping the U.S., would be high on the radar for one of the SA open spots. They both have veteran pairs experience with other partners, and Nagy has championship level cred formerly in junior pairs.

Previously in this thread, and in the general pairs thread, I commented with excitement about the Irvine pairs clips that Jenni Meno had recently posted on one of her Instagram stories. Liu/ Nagy displayed their spectacular triple twist in one of those clips. So, the huge promise everyone is now seeing in L/N's full performances at Glacier Falls, is not surprising to me. 😉

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Every time I see that Chen/Howe quote about it being just the beginning I wait for a retirement announcement.