2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 96 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I know most people won’t care about this competition. But, the Sunsational event is taking place this weekend in AB. Thanks to this event, I discovered Lia in her early days of skating. Most competitors are from AB and SK.

I was looking forward to seeing Ethan Scott. But, I think he withdrew.

Women’s SP

1) Sarmiento - She was solid. 44.95
Nice 3T 2T and solid 2A. I really enjoyed this program. Solid spins.
2) Halliday 41.28
I’m not sure why she didn’t add a 2T to her 3T after falling on her 3S. Do these athletes not understand the rules?
3) Johnson 39.75
After a solid 3T 2T, her program was a mess. She struggled on her spins, 3S and 2A….

Unto the Junior Girls next. Looking forward to Annika (she is moving up from Novice to Junior Girls). Her partner Kole had an okay skate to finish 2nd in SP.
I'm watching it :) Given that it's in April and a few skaters have new programs, I guess some of the withdrawals are due to the programs not being ready yet.

I liked Parker Heiderich in Junior Men (4th in Novice Men), although I could've done without that cover of Creep 😑 He's not going to escape the sad boi label with that.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm watching it :) Given that it's in April and a few skaters have new programs, I guess some of the withdrawals are due to the programs not being ready yet.

I liked Parker Heiderich in Junior Men (4th in Novice Men), although I could've done without that cover of Creep 😑 He's not going to escape the sad boi label with that.
Oh good! I’m not watching by myself. Live viewership is at 94 right now. So, 92 other people watching besides us two.

Parker was so good. He was the best!! I love how he went for 3Lz 3T. Good progress even though the 3T was <.

So, just curious? Is the flip the mandatory jump for this season? Annika fell attempting this triple and current junior girl fell in her 2F.

Feels weird starting a new season. But, I’m enjoying watching new programs and I guess a new season.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Just finished watching the Junior Girls

1) Kassidy - Rock solid!! 48.67! 👏
Her program was really good. She was confident throughout the program.
3T 2T, 2F, 2A (clean!!)

2) Kaydee - Solid!! 44.55
The AB girls have solid 3T 2T’s. She was clean… nothing wow! But, solid

3) Annika - good jr debut 41.93
She at least went for the 3F. So, good for her, for trying this triple jump

I’m looking forward to the free skates tmrw!!

@saine How come the Junior Boys don’t get a free skate tmrw? Why only the girls?

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
@saine How come the Junior Boys don’t get a free skate tmrw? Why only the girls?
The original flight list is here. It lists the flights for SP and FS separately. There was only one Junior for the men originally, Colton Foreman. I guess he decided to withdraw, so no Junior Men for the free skate.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sunsational

Senior Ladies

1) Grace Johnson - Winner of FP - 76.22
It wasn’t good 😞
Loved some parts of the program. The Step Sequence and choreo are gorgeous. I love how her programs are half triples and doubles. Lovely 2F, 3T and 3S-2T. But, horrible axels now…
At the end of her program, she went for a rare 2Lz 1A 2Lo. But, her axels are too wonky, she fell.
Total Score = 115.97 (lost the battle to Alexandra due to that last fall)

2) Sarmiento fell apart in the FP - 72.25
She was too ambitious. She attempted a 3Lz. All her triples in the first half were unsuccessful. But, her 2A is solid. Solid 2A eu 2S and 2A. Total Score = 117.20
Lots to work on!!

Halliday only competed in the SP 😔

Both Senior Ladies have a lot to work on, before Wild Rose, Sectionals and Challenger.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
but on a more serious note, if you read the OP of the new thread, it's there for people who want to discuss the new season if they feel like it....

people can keep posting here about the current season or worlds or anything that happened recently... i felt that it may be a good idea to open up the new thread because there are SO many new dance teams (juniors) forming in preparation for the new season as well...

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Halliday only competed in the SP 😔
I haven't watched the senior women yet, but it makes sense given that she competed junior last season and this is her senior debut. She'll need to change the technical content of her free, but at this point no one knows what the requirements will be.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
SCI in Halifax this year. I'm looking forward to it.

Fingers crossed that Canada decides to double up on its dance assignment and we get to see Lajoie & Lagha as well as Gilles & Poirier, but I'm not actually expecting that.