Osmond to sit out 2018-19 Grand Prix events | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Osmond to sit out 2018-19 Grand Prix events

This is something I will probably never understand. How can an athlete not want to do their sport? So why is she doing it at all? Tennis players play exhausting matches all year around, week after week. Basketball, swimming, tracks, soccer, skiing. In every sport the time when they do their sports is what drives them through their lives. It's their burning passion and mission. And Kaetlyn needs time to recharge for seven minutes total in a year.
I will never understand it.

I have to take a deep breath when I read this, Figure skating is in no way the same as other sports, theres a reason why athletes retire before their 30's contrary to the sports you listed in which they retire past their 30's, FS is more physical demanding, you are more pron to injures. Again, the comparisons are ridiculous, Basketball, soccer, hockey, those are team sports, if you injured yourself, another player take your spot, a skater have to skate while injured to avoid losing a spot. The rest of the sports are not that risky, maybe getting a cramp or something (except skiing, thats kinda hard) same as figure skating.
I dont believe any skater would choose to make as much sacrifice without loving what they do. She did enough, but she knows her limits, she has more goals, she is not retiring, she is just taking a well deserved break, sorry you sound like a hater, going after her and not other skaters, or simply not a follower of the sport, comparing it to easier ones (soccer, Im crying)

The sports you listed, They are hard, and I respect them, but putting knifes in your shoes and do hard thing while in pain and still smile like nothing, be strong but soft, make it look like 'water in soup',

and contrary of those sports, you need motivation to tell a story, wich is what FS is about, a soccer player do not have to smile like everything is fine in their life while playing, FS does

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Do you take year long break from your job, just because you need "motivation", or do you just get up each morning and keep going, like it or not?

She's hardly the first skater to take time off and come back again and succeed. They have been doing it since '94 with varying degrees of success.
(G/G, T/D come to mind)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Argh. My original post disappeared because I wished to edit some spelling things. In summary: hoping she'll be back in the latter half of the season, understand her need for a bit of a sabbatical, longing to see her soaring jumps and awesome step sequences again.

Manitou

Medalist
She's hardly the first skater to take time off and come back again and succeed. They have been doing it since '94 with varying degrees of success.
(G/G, T/D come to mind)

Of course they do and I never understand it. It's their job, it's the only thing they do and know how to do. I have been doing my job for over 40 years now and I don't even ask questions. It's just what you do.

DaNiCG said:
...you need motivation to tell a story, wich is what FS is about, a soccer player do not have to smile like everything is fine in their life while playing...

Professional actors smile and act their entire lives. That's what they do. And there are moment they hate doing it too. Still, they do it. Because it's their job.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd be surprised if she wasn't in the mix for Worlds 2020 in Montreal. She may want to take some time off and rest a bit before gearing up again for that goal. And she only said she wasn't doing the GP this season. We may see her later on, at 2019 Nationals, 4CC or Worlds.

ribbit

On the Ice
This is something I will probably never understand. How can an athlete not want to do their sport? So why is she doing it at all? Tennis players play exhausting matches all year around, week after week. Basketball, swimming, tracks, soccer, skiing. In every sport the time when they do their sports is what drives them through their lives. It's their burning passion and mission. And Kaetlyn needs time to recharge for seven minutes total in a year.
I will never understand it.

No figure skater does his or her sport for seven minutes in a year. Skaters train for hours every day, on and off the ice, often at very unsociable times that prevent them from living normal lives, and at extremely high financial costs. Just because a skater competes less frequently than athletes in other sports does not mean that skater is devoting less time or mental or physical effort to his or her sport than other athletes do. On the contrary, one could argue that a tennis player has more frequent opportunities to gain the exhilaration and the positive reinforcement of winning (to say nothing of prize money) than a figure skater, who trains for months for a handful of opportunities to display the results of all that hard, invisible work--and for far less reward, financial or psychological.

Moreover, athletes in many sports--first and foremost those tennis players you mention--regularly state that their seasons are too long, that there should be fewer competitions required, that they need longer breaks, that they are burning out physically and mentally. Look at Roger Federer, who now skips the clay-court season altogether in order to preserve his body and his enjoyment of the game. Look at the calls last season alone from top current and former players including John McEnroe and Milos Raonic for a shorter season. (This is an ongoing issue; a quick Google search reveals that in 2009-10, Federer, Rafael Nadal, and Novak Djokovic made similar calls.) Look at Serena Williams and Victoria Azarenka and (as a coach) Amelie Mauresmo, who have taken time away from the tennis circuit in order to become mothers because tennis is not the only thing that drives them through their lives. Not wanting to do your sport is not the same thing as wanting to have a full life, and not wanting to do your sport is not the same thing as realizing that you need to pace yourself in order to have a long and fulfilling career in your sport and a mentally and physically healthy life during and after that career.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Vacations exist in all jobs too. She's just taking long vacations.

Manitou

Medalist
Moreover, athletes in many sports--first and foremost those tennis players you mention--regularly state that their seasons are too long, that there should be fewer competitions required, that they need longer breaks, that they are burning out physically and mentally.

Yes, they complain, but nobody listens. You chose your job, so you do it. And the tennis players do it, with or without complaining...

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
People take sabbaticals from work all the time. Stress leave or just putting their career on hold. It normally comes with a cost (less money or your employer not seeing you as committed come to mind) but if you value other things in life more than work then maybe it's a cost you are willing to pay.

Life and time are their own currency. Sometimes people forget that.

Of course they do and I never understand it. It's their job, it's the only thing they do and know how to do. I have been doing my job for over 40 years now and I don't even ask questions. It's just what you do.

Professional actors smile and act their entire lives. That's what they do. And there are moment they hate doing it too. Still, they do it. Because it's their job.

so first sports and now actors?:rofl2: what the..they do not forced their body to do a three revolution jump in the air and land it while using 4mm knives, they do not spin 200 rpm (not the exact revolutions), they DO NOT LIVE THE LIFE AN ATHLETE DOES your argument became more pathetic after a while.

Figure skating is more demanding, other sports I see more demanding are hockey or football (the american one) but again, team sports. And gymnastic, but I dont know a lot about them, just that I respect them and are hard to achieve. Oh and boxing, but I dont like it.
In FS and gymnastic you must have the forced to do crazy things while making it look easy, soft and elegant, in others sports you do not.
Are you a hater? real cuestion

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Yuna Kim had few problems after sitting out the GP events post 2010. She was perhaps rusty at 2011 Worlds but looked good in 2013 and at Sochi. If a GP break allows Kaetlyn time to rest and be able to peak later in the season, I'm all for it.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Yes, they complain, but nobody listens. You chose your job, so you do it. And the tennis players do it, with or without complaining...

Tennis players also get a LOT more prize money for a fraction of the risk.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I can imagine. She could have rise at the top. As she could have still inconsistent with low PCS and win nothing.

But 1.5 years away from the sport and in her prime, does lend itself to being a missed opportunity, both for personal growth on the ice and an overall acceptance by judges as a contender.

Manitou

Medalist
Are you a hater? real cuestion

???
I simply don't understand it. That's all. There is no hating in not understanding.
Why do you go to sports if you don't like doing it?
My question applies not only to Kaetlyn, but to all past skaters too - Lipinski, Hughes, Sotnikova, Baiul, an entire crowd...

mrrice

Record Breaker
Tennis players also get a LOT more prize money for a fraction of the risk.

This is true …. The players that make a grand slam final will both become millionaires. Look at the prize money for the 2017 US Open.

The Winner receives $3,700,000. Runner-Up. 1,825,000

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
This is true …. The players that make a grand slam will both become millionaires. Look at the prize money for the 2017 US Open.

The Winner receives $3,700,000. Runner-Up. 1,825,000

A tennis player eliminated in the first round can get as much as a World champion in FS.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
But 1.5 years away from the sport and in her prime, does lend itself to being a missed opportunity, both for personal growth on the ice and an overall acceptance by judges as a contender.

I agree. But what i say is that she was not "guaranted" to be successful without that injury.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

You are aware that many actors will take a break and not work on any movies/TV shows for several months, right? Like, it's quite common. Singers do this too, athletes, even regular people. Not everyone can afford to take a break in their jobs of course.

Eg. Simone Biles took all of 2017 off and plans to continue competing now.

Manitou

Medalist
A tennis player eliminated in the first round can get as much as a World champion in FS.

A passion is a passion. Outside of the very top elite professional alpine skiers don't make millions either, but they do it with burning passion all the time they can. Rain, mud, twisted knees and bruised bodies, they keep doing it. And they cannot live without it.

???
I simply don't understand. That's all. There is no hating in not understanding.
Why do you go to sports if you don't like doing it?
My question applies not only to Kaetlyn, but to all past skaters too - Lipinski, Hughes, Sotnikova, the entire crowd of them...

yeah, "Kaetlyn Osmond TOTALLY does not love her sport, I mean, there are other ones like SOCCER or TENNIS and people are there and DOES NOT complain at all even thought they should, like how much those players win? millions? and how much those a figure skater wins? thousands? and the risk its the same, seriously, playing at ground its the same as playing at the ice, totally the same, that girl should DIE for her sport, she is OBVIOUSLY receiving the same than a Tennis player, I mean, a figure skater win what, almost 100,000? and a soccer player? 5M? Im talking about the lower ones, how hypocrite is that girls, given half of her life to the sport, and all they money spend in costumes?!?!?!?! it can cost as low as $1,500 and as high as $5,000, twice per season!!!

but I am not a hater, I keep nagging that FS is so ungrateful, but this is just for the best"

:confused2: