2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Thanks for the infos.
Yuka Sato as Wakaba's FP choreographer is surprising. Did she ever do choreo for a top lady?
Interesting the 3A training with Ghislain Briand.

lady_bee

Medalist
Wakaba and Yuka! How exciting! I am looking forward to see their chemical reaction.
I like the way Wakaba challenges something new every year:cheer:

Eclair

Medalist
Thanks for the infos.
Yuka Sato as Wakaba's FP choreographer is surprising. Did she ever do choreo for a top lady?
Interesting the 3A training with Ghislain Briand.

didn't yuka and Jason did some choreo for Alissa Czysney? Her programs fitted Alissa's style, they were pleasant but not outstandingly brilliantly choreographed...

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Thanks for the infos.

Mai's Cinderella from her senior debuting season was choreographed by Yuka.

sakurano

Final Flight

What is interesting in the article is that she says she wants to skate on Hip Hop and classical music but not ballet, I like the fact that it is she in part who will choose his music. I was worried about her but a fire came back she is ready for 4 years now it's up to her to play.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
What is interesting in the article is that she says she wants to skate on Hip Hop and classical music but not ballet, I like the fact that it is she in part who will choose his music. I was worried about her but a fire came back she is ready for 4 years now it's up to her to play.

I don't see her on ballet anyway.
Something tells me that they can be het music choices (maybe not pure hip-pop but something in that style). Classical, why not

sakurano

Final Flight
I don't see her on ballet anyway.
Something tells me that they can be het music choices (maybe not pure hip-pop but something in that style). Classical, why not

If you look at her choices since her novices and her EXs, she has almost no ballet and as you say it's very good because it has an unconventional style and this is where it is best.

For the classical choice I hope it will not be a boring music, for the Hip Hop I do not often listen 'except the movie music Sexy Dance, Free Dance, Honey, street dancer ect so I hope that she will make me discover something new, im the impatient to see the result.

I must say that the Japanese ladies this season surprises me in their choice of music between Satoko who wants to change their style, Wakaba who wants to show more skills of dancer and expression, Rika Hongo and his Kill Bill, the return of Yuka Nagai and her Riverdance who will be next?

mermaidfestavol3

On the Ice
I was rewatching some JGP videos and I came across Akari Matsubara! That's right, not Akari Matsuoka (the fast spinner), but Akari Matsubara.

Here's a link to her performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eEUSAGG5WY.

Gorgeous knee bend and nice spins too. She was born March 2000 which makes her age eligible for seniors (2 years older than Zagitova). I was just very impressed by her jumping technique and great flow. She was 12th at 2017-18 Japan Junior Nats and 7th the year before. Thoughts? I think she has potential.

mikeko666

Final Flight
I was rewatching some JGP videos and I came across Akari Matsubara! That's right, not Akari Matsuoka (the fast spinner), but Akari Matsubara.

Gorgeous knee bend and nice spins too. She was born March 2000 which makes her age eligible for seniors (2 years older than Zagitova). I was just very impressed by her jumping technique and great flow. She was 12th at 2017-18 Japan Junior Nats and 7th the year before. Thoughts? I think she has potential.

She was born on December 3, 2000, and is currently a high school senior student. I think she will remain in junior for one more season. The Japanese ladies's field is very deep. If she remains in junior, she will have a chance to get a JGPS assignment. If she moves up to senior, she will not even get a CS.

According to this article, she won National Novice B (9-10 years old) 2011-2012 season over Marin Honda and Wakaba Higuchi, but struggled for the next several years because of, according to her own words, not only injuries but also psychological pressures (the girl in the red dress is Akari).

She reemerged 2015-2016 season, and her best season was 2016-2017 so far, in which she almost made it to Nats by finishing 7th at Jr. Nats. It looks like her body has grown a lot in the last two years, and she was less consistent this season. I hope she will get used to her body and bounce back next season.

Her amazingly soft knee, which reminds of Nobunari Oda, was one of the reasons she got attentions. Another was her programs. Her 2015-2016 SP were Hungarian Rhapsody and FS was Fiddler on the Roof, both music used by Akiko Suzuki before. Her 2016-2017 SP Sing Sing Sing and 2017-2018 SP Jealousy were choreographed by Akiko.

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
Seems like with the new +/- 5 GOE rules, Satoko will have a severe disadvantage because according to the rules the max GOE on jumps you can get without very good height and distance will be capped at only +3, even if you are able to meet five bullet point criteria. :sad21:

I was really hoping for another world medal (or at the very least one more national title) for her because she's so very good at everything except the jumps, but it seems really difficult now.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
There is no fear to have for Satoko. Her +1s and +2s will become +3. And there is no many ladies who will get more than that. If she's able to get 75 TES (and to be the 4th lady in TES this season) with the current system, there is no reason to not get more with the new. The thing is that her jumps are not marked as they should be and i don't see why it would change.
She will be fine.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
could Kaori get +5 for her jumps? I think she has the best jumps rigth now except the lutz, or you think is more likely that Mako Yamashita will get the maximun goe? Rika Kihira has good edges on her jumps, but doesn´t get so much height anyway she has the best jumps in Mie Hamada team and she is working on tanos and rippons, I wish her best :)

yume

🍉
Record Breaker

OMG that knee bend!! Does she even have real knees?!
So next season she can't be junior again. Unfortunately she will likely only have domestic competitions. But if she take a good place at nats she can expect some challengers the season after. She's far from a top15 or top10 but everything is possible.

That's why i don't like to root for skaters who are too far from top places. They are rarely in international competitions, and someday they disappear. I really liked Hinano Isobe's skating (and i was in love with her dark dress) when i saw her at winter universiades but since then no other international competitions. Still, some can become like Akiko Suzuki and reach the top at 22-23 (i still have some faith in Rin Nitaya), but in that highly competitive era.....

She was born on December 3, 2000, and is currently a high school senior student. I think she will remain in junior for one more season. The Japanese ladies's field is very deep. If she remains in junior, she will have a chance to get a JGPS assignment. If she moves up to senior, she will not even get a CS.
Ok so another junior season, which is better than moving to seniors for her. Last chance to make a case of herself.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Yuna Shirawa: she got 2 GPs last year, but had a less than stellar season. Could she get assignments this year?

Her SB is ranked 26th. Which is 18 spots higher than last season. And yes, 26th is generally high enough to get a GP and often two GPs in a post-Olympic season. Yuna's problem is not that she had a less than stellar season, but that so many Japanese ladies (7) have an even higher SB score. Plus she didn't have a great Nationals (though she was really less than three points behind Marin's 7th place finish there and did best Matsuda & Yamashita there). So, yes, it's possible that Yuna could get on the GP. But generally, you'll only see most countries place 2 athletes at all but a host & maybe one more event. So about 7 athletes. Or 6 athletes with double invites and then a couple more each getting one. Wait & see though. It's ladies singles. Athletes tour & then decide they can't be ready on time. Others get injured. Yuna will be very high on the replacement list if she isn't selected. We just wait & see.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Her SB is ranked 26th. Which 18 spots higher than last season. And yes, 26th is generally high enough to get a GP and often two GPs in a post-Olympic season. Yuna's problem is not that she had a less than stellar season, but that so many Japanese ladies (7) have an even higher SB score. Plus she didn't have a great Nationals (though she was really less than three points behind Marin's 7th place finish there and did best Matsuda & Yamashita there). So, yes, it's possible that Yuna could get on the GP. But generally, you'll only see most countries place 2 athletes at all but a host & maybe one more event. So about 7 athletes. Or 6 athletes with double invites and then a couple more each getting one. Wait & see though. It's ladies singles. Athletes tour & then decide they can't be ready on time. Others get injured. Yuna will be very high on the replacement list if she isn't selected. We just wait & see.
Thanks 😁
I wish the best for her, but I’m also worried for Moa Iwano, Yuka Nagai, and Akari. What if these skaters? No one is talking about them which makes me think their career is over.