Japan Open - more entries announced | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Japan Open - more entries announced

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
The mens FS is shorter this season and with one less jumping pass, so maybe Oda rethought how strenous it would be to train an FS because the layout is a little less physically demanding.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Oda, the last time he take part to JO, so last season, delivered, a near clean program with two quads and two 3As.
And the guy is still doing 4T-3T. I've even seen a 4T-3T-3lo. At 31 he can still deliver a very competitive layout. He just doesn't get crazy GOEs and PCS for everything he does like some people.

Oh yes, I didn't mean any disrespect to Nobu, I think he's amazing! It was more to explain the half show\half competition thing :)

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
It is absoluely a smart move from JO organizers to have Zagitova-Costner team for Europe. It will bring the biggest audience as it is clear that Zagitova-Medvedeva is an impossible combination before GPF.

The biggest question is if Caro feels capable of showing something adequate that early in the season. If she bombs very big time it might be a very unfortunate start for her. And I am sure that judges keep tracking of big time bombing even if it happens at JO. If Caro gets something below 120, well, that might be it. But let's stay positive. If somehow she is in good shape and manages to do at least 4-5 nice triples - then she might be relevant through the whole season. Go Caro!

She would have to land no triples in order to get below 120... :rolleye:
And since when is 4-5 triples a standard for being in good shape?

I cheer the most for Zagitova :)

shine

Record Breaker
Thank god we only get one of Zag/Med. Kosnter :love:

And clearly this is a cheesefest so why can't we just be happy for the people that got invited instead of bringing up scoring/overmarking/judging controversy? I don't think it's in anyway justified that Zagitova or Medvedeva get the 9s in PCS they get but you don't see me bringing that up and mocking it over and over whenever they compete. Not to mention this is not even a real competition.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Because it stills irritating to see unfairness, everywhere, even in a cheesefest.

yude

Record Breaker
I know JO is "the competition" but for me, it is one of the fun events we're able to see new programs from the skaters, and I am looking forward to it every year :)

As for Oda, he has been trying 4Lz as well during the practice of ice shows if I am not wrong, but I think it is only for fun. One day on TV, he said he was surprised himself that he could have new PB in JO last year, so maybe he will aim for another great performance this year, too, as his personal goal in JO.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Thank god we only get one of Zag/Med. Kosnter :love:

And clearly this is a cheesefest so why can't we just be happy for the people that got invited instead of bringing up scoring/overmarking/judging controversy? I don't think it's in anyway justified that Zagitova or Medvedeva get the 9s in PCS they get but you don't see me bringing that up and mocking it over and over whenever they compete. Not to mention this is not even a real competition.

Lol but haven't you noticed this at some point in the majority of threads with a respectable number of posts, however distant the topic in discussion is from those things you mentioned, usually by the same people ;)

Back on topic, kudos to the Japan Open audience, who has been supportive of all skaters that come to compete through the years.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Team Europe gets someone who never skates a clean FS, for a FS only competition? :palmf:

I'mma just put this right here: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/gprus2017/gprus2017_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

Also Europe got Vasiljevs who hasnt even done a quad AFAIK. Where was your facepalm comment about that?

She would have to land no triples in order to get below 120... :rolleye:
And since when is 4-5 triples a standard for being in good shape?

I cheer the most for Zagitova :)

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/wc2018/wc2018_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

Seems Kostner with 4 triples was in better shape than Zagitova who did only 3 triples?

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
I'mma just put this right here: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/gprus2017/gprus2017_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

Also Europe got Vasiljevs who hasnt even done a quad AFAIK. Where was your facepalm comment about that?

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/wc2018/wc2018_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

Seems Kostner with 4 triples was in better shape than Zagitova who did only 3 triples?

Vasiljevs can at least skate clean and score high. And Zagitova at least usually skates cleanly enough in the FS.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Vasiljevs can at least skate clean and score high. And Zagitova at least usually skates cleanly enough in the FS.

While I have nothing against these two skaters and actually do quite appreciate what they bring to the sport, I and many posters feel that you should be more respectful in your views towards Carolina (and a few other skaters but I'm not bringing them into this discussion). She has displayed longevity and has contributed greatly to the sport in both her home country and on the international scene. I suggest you have a look her wikipedia page , which shows a large collection of competition results spanning close to two decades, since the beginning of the millennium.

She, like all skaters, has had her periods of success, achievement, failure, injury, and hardship. It's nice that you constantly mention skaters that are supposedly cleaner than her but how many of these skaters have a sample size of competitions as large as hers? Are there many skaters that can keep themselves competitive and constantly make podiums for more than a decade, persisting into their 30s to finish in the Top 5 at their 4th Olympics and even challenging for the WGM? To constantly belittle her and point out the amount of triples she performs in selective competitions while ignoring her decent/great skates and the array of skills she displays is unfair to her and her fans.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
While I have nothing against these two skaters and actually do quite appreciate what they bring to the sport, I and many posters feel that you should be more respectful in your views towards Carolina (and a few other skaters but I'm not bringing them into this discussion). She has displayed longevity and has contributed greatly to the sport in both her home country and on the international scene. I suggest you have a look her wikipedia page , which shows a large collection of competition results spanning close to two decades, since the beginning of the millennium.

She, like all skaters, has had her periods of success, achievement, failure, injury, and hardship. It's nice that you constantly mention skaters that are supposedly cleaner than her but how many of these skaters have a sample size of competitions as large as hers? Are there many skaters that can keep themselves competitive and constantly make podiums for more than a decade, persisting into their 30s to finish in the Top 5 at their 4th Olympics and even challenging for the WGM? To constantly belittle her and point out the amount of triples she performs in selective competitions while ignoring her decent/great skates and the array of skills she displays is unfair to her and her fans.

:points:

gioccia

On the Ice
Although I agree that Caro is great skater, all this longevity talk is pointless unless we have a 30 something skater from Russia or Japan where they have to fight for the team spot. You can skate as long as you like if you are guaranteed a spot.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
As I recall, Deniss finished 6th at Worlds, beating every North American man there besides Nathan Chen. So I do wish you'd keep him out of this.

And Kostner was 4th, beating every North American besides Osmond.

My point is that Kostner and Deniss are both skaters who don't have the highest technical difficulty but are still pleasant skaters to watch who are ranked high enough (or score high enough) to deserve spots at Japan Open. I was pointing out that the poster was trying to trivialize Kostner (who has skated clean this season contrary to their assertion) and point out that a skater like Vasiljevs can also be clean with not relatively considerable difficulty but still be worth having compete.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Kostner did skate clean at Rostelecom and scored a strong season's best in the FS 141.83, higher than Tennell and Daleman.

I love how when Zagitova scores poorly you dismiss it as an anomaly but when Kostner is clean with 140+ with a clean skate you imply that Kostner can't skate clean and score high. You do you, boo. :biggrin:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Although I agree that Caro is great skater, all this longevity talk is pointless unless we have a 30 something skater from Russia or Japan where they have to fight for the team spot. You can skate as long as you like if you are guaranteed a spot.

Well, the problem is that some can't think that her longevity is great, and think at the same time that maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe, it was just even a bit easier for her to keep competing in international major events all these years.
They think that Carolina had exactly the same chances than others to get international spots. Like the same chances than Fumie Suguri who didn't qualify for her 4th olympics because she finished 7th at Japanese nationals with 161 points (in a field full of worlds champions and medalists in big events). While Carolina the same season got the sole italian olympic spot by losing to Valentina Marchei and finishing 2nd with 155 points.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Kostner did skate clean at Rostelecom and scored a strong season's best in the FS 141.83, higher than Tennell and Daleman.

I love how when Zagitova scores poorly you dismiss it as an anomaly but when Kostner is clean with 140+ with a clean skate you imply that Kostner can't skate clean and score high. You do you, boo. :biggrin:

Zagitova skating poorly is an anomaly
Kostner skating cleanly is also an anomaly

And skating 6 triples cleanly is of course easier than skating 7 triples cleanly. 6 triples won't get you anywhere in Russia or Japan, but in Italy, she can qualify to any championship with that.

icetug

Medalist
6 triples won't get you anywhere in Russia or Japan, but in Italy, she can qualify to any championship with that.

If BV was the only measure for Russian and Japanese championships, Daria would have been second last year at RN while Rika Kihira would have been a winner ahead of Yohana Yukoi at JN. :rolleye:
Carolina, even after her comeback at age 29, never placed behind three Russian or Japanese ladies. What let me presume that if she was Russian or Japanese, she could have still a great chance to qualify for a national team in both of the countries.