Most controversial programs | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Most controversial programs

gkelly

Record Breaker
The way those kinds of rule violations have been handled in the past have been judges talking to the teams earlier in the season and advising them to make changes to the program (which advice the teams might or might not take), and penalizing the teams in the scoring when they competed.

We don't know for a fact that neither of those things occurred, but obviously any changes they made did not make the program less offensive, and any scoring penalties they received did not keep them off the podium entirely.

There has never been any provision for "banning" teams that violate the guidelines in these ways. That was never on the table.

sworddance21

On the Ice
I don't know that it was controversial internationally, but I was terribly bothered by Medvedeva's 9/11 program mostly because of the voice over and sounds. Many of my friends were, as well. I lived it. I don't need to hear it when I'm watching a figure skating competition. Took my by surprise the first time. I fast forwarded through her long program every time after that and I wasn't the only one.

gmyers

Record Breaker
The way those kinds of rule violations have been handled in the past have been judges talking to the teams earlier in the season and advising them to make changes to the program (which advice the teams might or might not take), and penalizing the teams in the scoring when they competed.

We don't know for a fact that neither of those things occurred, but obviously any changes they made did not make the program less offensive, and any scoring penalties they received did not keep them off the podium entirely.

There has never been any provision for "banning" teams that violate the guidelines in these ways. That was never on the table.

You don’t have to ban the teams just their rule breaking program by the referees instructing judges to do extreme deductions! Too much is given to d/s “deciding to do the right thing and stop doing the program” because the program being outrageously immoral was the whole point.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Okay, let's move on from D/S.

Does anybody remember Bobrova/Soloviev's bizarre Bird's program? They have tackled a variety of interesting themes during their career but this one definitely seemed to have rubbed fans the wrong way. It was not well received by the judges either and they ended up going back to their 'Madness' FD for Sochi. A story about two birds being hunted with depressing accompanying music. Dmitri's face at the end with accompanying bird cry sound effect was too much: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4wHOkefrqs

Amei

Record Breaker
Just to note, Lobacheva/Averbukh themselves skated a 9/11 tribute program for their Olympic FD, just months after the event. Perhaps some posters could shred light on whether it was controversial at the time but I imagine it might have been too soon to perform that program.

I don't remember a lot of controversy over it, but it was also called a tribute - titled 'A Time for Peace' and it wasn't highlighting the horrors of that day with dialogue from news anchors and people that were on the ground in Manhattan dealing with it. Bottom line for me - I can watch Lobacheva/Averbukh's program and I can see a decently choreographed (little weird) skating program, I watch Medvedeva's program and get sick to my stomach hearing the 'extra audio' in her FS.

gmyers

Record Breaker

Does anybody remember Bobrova/Soloviev's bizarre Bird's program? They have tackled a variety of interesting themes during their career but this one definitely seemed to have rubbed fans the wrong way. It was not well received by the judges either and they ended up going back to their 'Madness' FD for Sochi. A story about two birds being hunted with depressing accompanying music. Dmitri's face at the end with accompanying bird cry sound effect was too much: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4wHOkefrqs

How b/s stayed with zhulin after this is such a puzzling mystery of astonishing unknowableness.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
How b/s stayed with zhulin after this is such a puzzling mystery of astonishing unknowableness.

To be fair, Zhulin led them to a bronze medal finish in their first year with him as their coach, behind D/W and V/M in 2013. That 'Birds' program was definitely too out there and set them back. However, they did have great programs when they returned in 2015 with Anna Karenina, arguably their best. They were gaining momentum by Euros, getting 2nd in the FD, ahead of C/L. Then the Meldonium issue arose and barred them from participating at Worlds. I think B/S and Zhulin are really close; Zhulin was crying after their Nationals performance this past season. Anyway, I'm not sure who else they could of gone to in Russia, as they did leave Kustarova in 2012 and switching coaches every few years may not have been the best idea. Realistically, they were looking to compete for three seasons after their comeback.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Let's face it, when it came to Domnina/Shabalin, they could have just taken a ____ on the ice and the judges would have given them the bronze anyway. Even without the controversy, they deserved to be ranked a few placements lower than they did for both the OD and FD but got the bronze anyway. They really didn't have to create a controversial program to distract from Shabalin's knees. The judges were willing to ignore all of that any way. They could just have done a very safe, non-Russian folk dance that didn't utilize his knees and still scored well. I think Linichuk just has a real taste issue and she's shown her lack of good taste in the past. I think she truly thought she had a fire idea that would make a huge statement. At the time, D/S were still thinking they could win gold and so they were all about making a big statement. D/W and V/M and the rise of Igor/Marina was not set in stone yet. Tanith Belbin, in her and Ben's interview with TSL, said Natalia and Gennadi were people who thought of themselves as pushing the envelope and wanted to push the rules to the limits. They even suggested B/A to put fireworks on their boots for their 2009 OD. Tanith told Gennadi that she thinks that's against the rules, and he asked her to "show me the rule!". She said they were just like that. They also did a similar routine back in 1999 with Krylova/Ovysiannikov and there wasn't the same amount of controversy. A lot of dance history has "portrayals" of other cultures, and with the differing levels of care by the various choreographers, some would not do their due diligence to actually choreograph that sort of dance with respect and dignity that the cultures deserve. So Linichuk was just continuing her habit of doing "primitive" dances with little to no research into the actual culture and well...she found out 2010 was not the same as 1999 or a period where Yagudin could do a program like "One Banana".

It's not hard to believe Linichuk would be that clueless. Listen to the British Eurosport commentators on D/S'w Euros OD performance where it was worse with the dark bronzer make-up and more leaves and an even broader portrayal of indigenous people. The British Eurosport commentators did not mention anything about the program being weird, racist, or tone deaf. They were just enjoying themselves and admiring Maxim's commitment to the character. They had a jolly old time. That wasn't surprising to me because it's never surprising to me when people are clueless about these sorts of things.

gmyers

Record Breaker
To be fair, Zhulin led them to a bronze medal finish in their first year with him as their coach, behind D/W and V/M in 2013. That 'Birds' program was definitely too out there and set them back. However, they did have great programs when they returned in 2015 with Anna Karenina, arguably their best. They were gaining momentum by Euros, getting 2nd in the FD, ahead of C/L. Then the Meldonium issue arose and barred them from participating at Worlds. I think B/S and Zhulin are really close; Zhulin was crying after their Nationals performance this past season. Anyway, I'm not sure who else they could of gone to in Russia, as they did leave Kustarova in 2012 and switching coaches every few years may not have been the best idea. Realistically, they were looking to compete for three seasons after their comeback.

It’s too bad they couldn’t have gone to spiliband or zueva! Zhulin completely destroyed their Olympic season. They could have won bronze in Sochi but zhulin destroyed all of that with his coaching by what he dreamed. Forget ijs manuals. He was going by dreams. They were treated like garbage and after that 2012-2013 season they never did well again. No gpf medals no euro titles no Nothing. Being coached by zhulin completely destroyed b/s as a team and made them the least successful Russian champions ever.

Let's face it, when it came to Domnina/Shabalin, they could have just taken a ____ on the ice and the judges would have given them the bronze anyway. Even without the controversy, they deserved to be ranked a few placements lower than they did for both the OD and FD but got the bronze anyway. They really didn't have to create a controversial program to distract from Shabalin's knees. The judges were willing to ignore all of that any way. They could just have done a very safe, non-Russian folk dance that didn't utilize his knees and still scored well. I think Linichuk just has a real taste issue and she's shown her lack of good taste in the past. I think she truly thought she had a fire idea that would make a huge statement. At the time, D/S were still thinking they could win gold and so they were all about making a big statement. D/W and V/M and the rise of Igor/Marina was not set in stone yet. Tanith Belbin, in her and Ben's interview with TSL, said Natalia and Gennadi were people who thought of themselves as pushing the envelope and wanted to push the rules to the limits. They even suggested B/A to put fireworks on their boots for their 2009 OD. Tanith told Gennadi that she thinks that's against the rules, and he asked her to "show me the rule!". She said they were just like that. They also did a similar routine back in 1999 with Krylova/Ovysiannikov and there wasn't the same amount of controversy. A lot of dance history has "portrayals" of other cultures, and with the differing levels of care by the various choreographers, some would not do their due diligence to actually choreograph that sort of dance with respect and dignity that the cultures deserve. So Linichuk was just continuing her habit of doing "primitive" dances with little to no research into the actual culture and well...she found out 2010 was not the same as 1999 or a period where Yagudin could do a program like "One Banana".

It's not hard to believe Linichuk would be that clueless. Listen to the British Eurosport commentators on D/S'w Euros OD performance where it was worse with the dark bronzer make-up and more leaves and an even broader portrayal of indigenous people. The British Eurosport commentators did not mention anything about the program being weird, racist, or tone deaf. They were just enjoying themselves and admiring Maxim's commitment to the character. They had a jolly old time. That wasn't surprising to me because it's never surprising to me when people are clueless about these sorts of things.

Look at all the ODs of the 2009-2010 season. Of all of them I can’t see one less stressful on a mans knees than shabalins. Forget about v/m and d/w! Shabalin could never have done Bollywood or anything. Then you have the American hoe downs!
Shabalin never could have done what bourzat Kerr or Bates did! Anything recognizable was totally impossible for Shabalin. Certainly nothing Russian could be done. They had to make up a dance where men didn’t need knees. And of course in real aboriginal dance men use their knees. So it’s not like Linichuk did an aboriginal dance. She made one up and called it aboriginal.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

Some programs are best left unspoken, Bill. This one was for the ''birds'' and gave many a reason to ''crow''. You'll not hear the words, they waz ''rob-in'' from me. Good to know that they ''sparrowed'' themselves from further rebuke as the program was ''starling''!

That's it for my rant, ...the ''hen''. ;)

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Some programs are best left unspoken, Bill. This one was for the ''birds'' and gave many a reason to ''crow''. You'll not hear the words, they waz ''rob-in'' from me. Good to know that they ''sparrowed'' themselves from further rebuke as the program was ''starling''!

That's it for my rant, ...the ''hen''. ;)

:laugh: Don't think you'll hear the words "rob-in" from anyone. Even after they tried to peck the bronze by reviving their "cuckoo" program, they were no match for the Black "Swan" who did not "finch" at taking it. ;)

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland

I was not prepared for that ending. That was the funniest thing I've seen all week. :laugh:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

OMG...This is bizarre?! I don't know what's weirder, Ekaterina's blonde hair (that's not her natural colour is it?) or the bird movements - although I do commend them for being really committed to the bit. Dmitri at the end is hysterical though, if I were a judge I would have screamed in terror!

Also...the dogs barking at the beginning? LOL whut?

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
OMG...This is bizarre?! I don't know what's weirder, Ekaterina's blonde hair (that's not her natural colour is it?) or the bird movements - although I do commend them for being really committed to the bit. Dmitri at the end is hysterical though, if I were a judge I would have screamed in terror!

Also...the dogs barking at the beginning? LOL whut?

I did a quick search and it seems from their Fan Fest that she dyed her hair red in 2014 off-season. Bless the cameraman, as that is probably the only version that gave a close-up of Dmitri's face at the end, other cameramen didn't even dare ;)

As for the dogs barking, probably hunting dogs :slink:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Best program of 2009-2010!

That was great!! How on earth they used the pac-man song to transition from Cypress Hill is beyond me. Genius!!

I love the uniqueness of the program. We need more of this!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I liked this program very much. I could see that it probably would have been very controversial back in 1988.

I didn't really follow ice dance back then, but I distinctly remember the Duchesnays at the 1992 Olympics and was quite impressed by them.
I believe that they skated to West Side Story? Was Isabelle Duchesnay married to Christopher Dean at that time?

I was impressed with them but in 1992, and I appreciate they had injuries and such, but their program was more safe for the judges, her skills were not up to par, and due to lack of practice, injury or whatever they were messy. The judges loved them and they went in as defending champion but that Russian team - Klimova and Ponomarenko really won and killed it. They were not given full credit for their amazing freedance. But The Duchesnay's ahd some wonderful innovative programs - too bad the olympics was not one of them in 1992