2018-2019 Programs By Discipline | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 Programs By Discipline

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #7 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Laurence Fournier Beaudry and Nikolaj Sorensen appear to be keeping their "Spanish Caravan" FD from last year.

I thought they couldn't compete this season? Or is that restricted to big international competitions only?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I thought they couldn't compete this season? Or is that restricted to big international competitions only?
Because of the timing of the release from Denmark, they can't do the Grand Prix or other international competitions in the first half of the season or so. They're eligible for international competitions beginning with Four Continents.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Ivett Tóth SP:
Bruno Mars medley
https://youtu.be/4JLGnNXkGuU

I usually don’t like programs to pop music, but this is one of those guilty-pleasure type programs that I can’t help getting into despite the fact that, by my own standards, I should hate it. The tonal shift from Grenade (serious, emotional) to Uptown Funk (upbeat and celebratory) is kind of weird, but I like the choreography and she does a good job pulling it all together. I feel like I’ll be enjoying this one.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Thanks NNF for your analysis! I agree, they have improved from last year. Great speed on some of their elements like the rotational lift. The twizzle variation on the first set is a highlight. However, I didn't really like the fact that the step sequence is non-touching all the way as I think a tango should have at least some holds for part of the sequence and without it seems a bit out of character for the dance. I guess I have to get more used to these electronic arrangements. Soucisse/Firus also skated to an electronic arrangement yesterday and did a good job but I liked Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen's more traditional, passionate RD interpretation much better.

I don't remember if teams have a choice in step sequence in RD, but my take on using non-touching one is slightly different - I think that while the pattern skated in full this time represents this 'proper Tango' part of RD (and Marjorie and Zach showed that if skated beautifully, it really could represent the character of Tango dance style/music style), a non-touch step sequence could be very complimentary to it IF paired with proper music and movement choreography. The best example - Tessa/Scott's non-touching step sequence in Tango OD season 2006/07 (back then it included twizzles also): it was a perfect presentation of their synchronized movement and so matching lines, on top of that they actually expressed the edginess and Tango character of the music throughout the movement, even not being in holds. But well, every Tango dance Tessa/Scott did set a bar very high in my opinion, especially when it comes to the pattern execution (for me, them and Domnina/Shabalin had an outstanding Tango Romantica pattern).

I guess it also will come to what kind of approach teams will choose - more modern/non-traditional or more 'typical'. Laurence and Nikolai will pull off a 'typical' Tango for sure due to their chemistry, connection and this sizzle factor I experience watching them (both very, very attractive people on top of being very talented athletes) while other teams are exploring different possibilities, if they are not feeling comfortable/confident in this classical approach. Which is very good in my opinion - the more variety in styles we get for RD, the better:)

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Do you have fancam of the Danadians, FB/S as well? Pretty please. FD's from the championship are also welcome as I missed both days of the competition. Thank you :)

Unfortunately, I arrived late to the Rhythm Dance, so I missed Fournier Beaudry & Soerensen's performance. :eek:hwell: I wasn't able to attend Sunday's events, so I don't have any free dances to share (Soucisse & Firus withdrew, though, so you didn't miss their FD).

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I usually don’t like programs to pop music, but this is one of those guilty-pleasure type programs that I can’t help getting into despite the fact that, by my own standards, I should hate it. The tonal shift from Grenade (serious, emotional) to Uptown Funk (upbeat and celebratory) is kind of weird, but I like the choreography and she does a good job pulling it all together. I feel like I’ll be enjoying this one.
I hadn’t really thought about Bruno Mars for FS, but Grenade is kind of ... flat? The Arianna Grande cover has more electronic elements in the music and consequently more “oomph,” but the original seems hard to swing for a full free skate (though this is why remixes and edits exist). Which leads to the tonal shift issue. Kind of wish she stuck with one or the other or went for a full medley, as the two parts of the programme don’t seem to quite fit together. But I adore Ivett, and I’ll be curious to see how this programme develops — she definitely is having fun with it, and that’s a good sign.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Have these been posted here? Sorry in advance if already. Short video clips of Daisuke T's programs. :)

SP: https://www.ifsmagazine.com/daisuke-takahashi-the-sheltering-sky/
FP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKKDRjh-fb4&feature=player_embedded
from the news clip (Aug 1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbHNh3cts1w&feature=player_embedded

We all know Dai has no intention of competing internationally (only aiming for the Nationals). As his fan I understand, however as one of deep fans of the sport I simply feel it's a shame the world will not see them at all. :shame: Only some fragments of both programs but make me :luv17::luv17::luv17:

leoleo

Medalist
has Cha Junhwan announced his programs? i might have missed it

Daisuke's programs look fantastic so far, i expected nothing less from him

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

Kind of slept on that, but watched it yesterday - and I have to say that so far she impressed me the most in this pre-season period; she looks like getting there in terms of finding her own way of expression/presentation and THAT 3Lz-3Lo combo was BONKERS, so good to see her working hard and pushing herself more in technical sense too aside of presentation area. The whole program of course could use more character and spark, but I believe it will come - the vehicle looks good on her. Her upper body indeed looks quite fluid and controlled at the same time, they were some stumbles, but jumps looked very solid.

composer

On the Ice
About Bradie: Great music with lots of potential for showcasing artistry. Looking really polished already for August!

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't believe anyone has posted Nam Nguyen's performances from the Minto Summer Skate (or at least I can't find any on YouTube), so I've cut these from the Skate Ontario archived livestream:

SP (the music info is already listed on the first post, but there are probably some fans who haven't watched it yet): https://vimeo.com/282102444

LP (La La Land soundtrack): https://vimeo.com/282103598

Nicholas Nadeau CAN

Doris, since Nicolas is a French name, there is no "h." ;)

Joseph Phan CAN
FS: The Godfather soundtrack

Phan's free skate, like his SP, was choreographed by Jeff Buttle: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00015182.htm