Alena Kostornaia | Page 53 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

Orlov

Medalist
Alena seems a little bit stressed this season, though I can understand why. It must be frustrating to not have all of the elements you'd like to show ready yet when your teammates are doing all sorts of crazy things. I hope she just keeps working hard on what she wants to improve and continues to give it her best. We're cheering for her no matter what!

May be she little bit stressed because this is her first competition on this season? And now, when she is a star, all have high expectations, and she has less and less rights to make a mistake? For the future - try using Occam's razor, a very useful thing.

Fluture

Record Breaker
May be she little bit stressed because this is her first competition on this season? And now, when she is a star, all have high expectations, and she has less and less rights to make a mistake? For the future - try using Occam's razor, a very useful thing.

I think it‘s not just that. It must be frustrating to see someone who‘s younger than you jump quad after quad everyday and you simply can‘t seem to do it. Alena tried 4T but it didn‘t work out, did it? That‘s why she moved on to try 3A. I certainly have no problem with her not jumping a quad, to be honest, I prefer it. Quads scare me and if one isn‘t ready then it‘s better not to push it. But Alena might not be feeling that way. And of course it‘s also what you said. Compared to last season when she came out of nowhere and was virtually unknown, she‘s a star now. I doubt it’s that easy to deal with. She seemed really nervous during warm up yesterday but when the competition was over you could see that she was visibly more relaxed, chatting with teammates and checking her phone and smiling at her medal. I think we tend to underestimate the pressure since they make it look so easy. But I still don‘t want people to compare her to Sima Sakhanovich and say she‘s going to fall apart next season completely because she had ONE shaky landing in her FS. (Yes, someone really did) Nyet. :disapp:

AudreyB

Rinkside
Hey guys, is there a reason why alena's not in seniors this year despite being 15 or is she still not old enough?

Watch

Final Flight
She was tense, but some nervousness is to be expected. When you're competing for a country where getting silver at a JGP means you're likely not to get a second spot, training in a group this intense with two of your main competitors who both have (potential) quads AND being one of the big stars of the junior field, it's really no surprise. That's lots of pressure to take. She did it like a champ, though, and hopefully can continue do to so.

Honestly, this is my first year following the Junior circuit closely and not just looking up the results from time to time, solely because of Eteri's power trio, and I realise how nervous it makes me even as just a fan. All three girls are insane, I want all three to have successful senior careers and yet I know how unlikely it is for all three to get to have that. And I think the slightly panicy overreactions, nitpicking every tiny mistake and every bit of music and chreography for these three that you see on the internet, are due to that. It's a very tough field for the Russian junior girls and they are all deserving.

By the way, on the topic of names, I'm surprised that appearantly the go-to latinisation of this name, at least in Russia, is Alena. Even in the best case scenario when people don't read it basically as "Alina", no one who doesn't know Russian would know how to read it correctly. They should follow Savchenko's lead and latinise it as Alyona/Aliona/Aljona or whatever... but really not as Alena.

Orlov

Medalist
I think it‘s not just that. It must be frustrating to see someone who‘s younger than you jump quad after quad everyday and you simply can‘t seem to do it.

I mentioned the Occam razor not just to show off. I absolutely don't accept such "thinking" (god damme you google-translate... for russians - here was ...такое "додумывание") It's easy to see (especially for beginners) that the mental atmosphere in the figure skating fans' camp is too "overheated" - everyone "gushes" with his theories and thoughts. Wise mankind has long come up with a recipe for healthy mental behavior: "Entities are not to be multiplied without necessity"

Just listen to what Alena focuses on during his interview with Ted: "Last season was the first for me at the junior level, now - the second. I try to improve my skating, jumping, because people expect me to get results." If you watched closely the interview it was a little off topic - Ted asked her where would be her second stage, but Alena answered about the things that worried her most. Don't multiplied without necessity :)

Fluture

Record Breaker
I mentioned the Occam razor not just to show off. I absolutely don't accept such "thinking" (god damme you google-translate... for russians - here was ...такое "додумывание") It's easy to see (especially for beginners) that the mental atmosphere in the figure skating fans' camp is too "overheated" - everyone "gushes" with his theories and thoughts. Wise mankind has long come up with a recipe for healthy mental behavior: "Entities are not to be multiplied without necessity"

Just listen to what Alena focuses on during his interview with Ted: "Last season was the first for me at the junior level, now - the second. I try to improve my skating, jumping, because people expect me to get results." If you watched closely the interview it was a little off topic - Ted asked her where would be her second stage, but Alena answered about the things that worried her most. Don't multiplied without necessity :)

Yeah, I watched the interview and I know Alena answered a bit off-topic but I think it was mainly due to her not understanding the question correctly. When Ted asked her a second time and spoke more slowly, she understood. And I‘m not one who likes conspiracy theories but is it really so wrong to assume that she‘s feeling pressure when she sees her teammates doing things she can‘t do? I don‘t think so. It‘s completely normal behaviour. It’s an easy explanation, you don’t have to go far to see it. Occam razor applies here, too, I guess. :think: People expect results from her, she was second everywhere last season and third at Senior Nationals but there were only Sasha and her, now it‘s Anna who‘s back, too. And she knows people expect her to win, that’s why she’s a bit more nervous than last season when nobody knew her. That‘s understandable and it would be weird if she was completely relaxed, really. Being nervous shows that she‘s only human. But she handled the pressure really well, delivered two clean skates and won the gold. That‘s what ultimately matters.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I honestly think she could win Zhenya and Zagi during nationals [emoji23]

Some people think Alena should have won nationals last year at 14. To see her Sasha and Anna go up against Alina and Zhenya will be incredible.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Get your popcorn ready! This will be the best Russian nationals ever for the ladies.

It will not be the best for those who will have to wipe all the blood out :devil:
But seriously, I can't even imagine it. The A-Team, Zhenya will definitely want to prove herself, then Radionova and Tuktamysheva want their positions back, we also have Panenkova and Tarakanova... I'm little afraid to be honest.

typeyournamehere

Match Penalty
it's striking what different programs Daniil made for her at this season in terms of quality:
SP - DIVINE, SUPERB, my favorite so far out of all
FP - boring, almost nothing interesting, may be only first 5-10 seconds of the beginning and the end

Imagine

Medalist
Not hating, but not even her angelic skating could save that horrendous program for me. Omg, it was getting into Radionova levels of terrible. At least in terms of skating programs featuring Leonardo DiCaprio mumbling....hers is so far the best. Like what did they cut the music with, a hacksaw? What’s going on with Eteri’s girls’ FPs this season? Scherbakova too...

Warwick360

Medalist
it's striking what different programs Daniil made for her at this season in terms of quality:
SP - DIVINE, SUPERB, my favorite so far out of all
FP - boring, almost nothing interesting, may be only first 5-10 seconds of the beginning and the end

Maybe he's taking the mantle off of Morozov- the guy who came up with A.Pogo's dramatic 2016 FS routine, was the same guy who made several horrible R&J routines based on the ballet version.:dev2:

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
As I remember, during at least one of JGP stream from Linz Ted told his e-mail and also it was shown on the screen, but now I can't find the e-mail. Do anyone remember it?
I want to send him this link https://youtu.be/wRBEaHqjkAo