2018 Skate Canada Ladies Short Program | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate Canada Ladies Short Program

GGFan

Record Breaker
I love that Mishin goes through the trouble of bringing in choreographers for Liza when he knows he's gonna cut out all of the moves :laugh2:

Medvedeva still got the highest PCS, despite some excellent skates by other competitors. She can make up a lot of ground in the free skate.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
The top 3 were amazing. And I enjoyed Evgenia's performance despite the score-killing error. Her placement is not final. She can climb!

I'm so proud of The top 3 though. Mako, strong in her GP debut with beautiful jumps and a spirited performance. Wakaba, despite injury, landing her jumps and not popping them, not to mention the difficulty of that fast music. Elizaveta with a CLEAN 3A! BLazing her come-back trail. So enjoyable.

Also, Starr and Alaine improved so much from Skate America.

Thank you ladies, this has been great to watch.

moriel

Record Breaker
I'd say Medvedeva will podium just fine here, maybe even win.
The main issue with this, imho, is the reputation loss. Ok, you are unbeatable, but then you make a mistake and finish second. It happens, everybody is human. But 1st warm up...
Yep, she got highest PCs here, but thats not her competition really, her competition is rusnats and worlds

Fluture

Record Breaker
No need to freak out, SP placements don't matter and points are very close. She might not catch Liza T, but everyone else in front of her is inconsistent as hell.

Well, I‘m normally not one to easily panic but after seeing her have literally perfect practice sessions with no mistakes at all and then something like this... and a 6th place... she was already so nervous now, looked hesitated before entering the jumps. I know she‘s strong but this has all been a lot on her. I‘m just afraid that‘s all. I‘ve never seen her make a mistake like that and from what it sounded like Brian hasn‘t either. It‘s just obvious that nerves are getting her because her jumps were perfect in practice. And that‘s what’s making me nervous.

Zhafiraiha

On the Ice
GUYS WHO KNOWS maybe Zhenya will pull a Nathan Chen Olympic 2018 style. Let's just hope for the best for her.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Evgenia looked so much better in practice but made a mistake she has never made before in competition. I am confident her jumps will be better overtime but not sure whether she will get her consistency back. I am also afraid if she does not skate clean, her PCS will eventually drop. It actually reminded me of Yulia's year after the Olympics: At the beginning, she started to make more mistakes but still got good PCS, but he kept making mistakes with her jumps, and eventually her psc was about the same as an unknown skater.

rain

Record Breaker
Tuktemesheva looked great here. The program suits her. She is never going to be a particularly elegant skater but this managed to bring out some of her best qualities. The jumps, of course, were the highlight. But I was impressed that she created some different spin positions to go with her music.

I'm really rooting for Medvedeva to make it all the way back. You can see how much her body has changed, but her first two jumping passes looked great. The missing combo was a terrible fluke. That could have been a really ugly fall. I always find myself rooting for skaters who have faced some adversity. I didn't start rooting for Michelle Kwan until she lost the Olympics and came out with the stunning Dante's Prayer program for the exhibition. First program from her I really felt. Give Medvedeva some time, I think it looks like she's on the right track. It might not all come together this year, even, but I think she looks like she can get there.

There's an intangible something about Mariah Bell — I just like her. Too bad about the under-rotations.

s_parks

Record Breaker
I know it's too bad she missed her combo(and it was a freak mistake, from her and orser's reactions), but I find it borderline hilarious how some people are still getting their panties in bunch about medvedeva struggling. She came off an injury, changed coaches and jump technique, and is at the age where her body is not a young girl anymore. It's not rocket science to figure out it's not going to be a cakewalk, and gasp, she might have less than stellar results the first year of all these changes.

GGFan

Record Breaker
So basically tonight:

1. Caryn Kadavy could have done Mariah's program

2. Rory Flack Burghart could have done Evegenia's

3. Denise Bielmann could have done Wakaba's

Oh figure skating. The times change but you don't :biggrin::devil:

moriel

Record Breaker
I love that Mishin goes through the trouble of bringing in choreographers for Liza when he knows he's gonna cut out all of the moves :laugh2:

I suppose its a PR move maybe? Like "its not mishin choreo, it was done by somebody good" but then its still mishin choreo.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Me, personally? I love Zhenya because she's a hardworking girl who is sweet and adorable and humble and open and she is just an amazing human, let alone incredible skater. it doesn't mean I can't like other skaters or think that other skaters aren't rewarded for their own skates but Zhenya isn't the one scoring, she's just the skater who's upset when she makes an error and promises to fix it because she's a perfectionist and hates making mistakes, and personally I hate seeing her upset...

twirlingblades

Medalist
Tuktamysheva lands a 3A like it’s a 2A and we’re instantly discussing how Med will kill her in PCS.

Literally everything is this forum was

"OMG 3A" "Yes queen!!" "go liza!!!"

I think you're seeing things the way you want to because of your opinion of Med. You also don't have to participate in this forum, and you can go watch a stream without commentary. Boom, done.

twirlingblades

Medalist
I know it's too bad she missed her combo(and it was a freak mistake, from her and orser's reactions), but I find it borderline hilarious how some people are still getting their panties in bunch about medvedeva struggling. She came off an injury, changed coaches and jump technique, and is at the age where her body is not a young girl anymore. It's not rocket science to figure out it's not going to be a cakewalk, and gasp, she might have less than stellar results the first year of all these changes.

Right?? And yeah, she may currently be in 7th, but she's only like 6 points out of 2nd.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The problem with Evgenia is that she also lost levels in spins and steps, so she lost more than 10 points. But the marks are quite close so she may be on the podium tomorrow. Good luck tomorrow!

I think most of her lost levels came after the combo fail. So she just technically phoned in the rest of the performance.

I haven't been her biggest fan in years past, but oddly enough, hers is the only performance tonight that I'll bother to rewatch. I really like her evolution is style. She skated with more personality and freedom than I've ever seen.

It was beautiful until things came apart at the end. But still glorious.

Tuk's 3A was a marvel, but I thought the program had a plodding feel to it. That tango music didn't help - she didn't bring life to it, so it drug her down. IMO, of course.

moriel

Record Breaker
exactly :(
well now I hope she can just get silver. or even bronze, if she wins IdF. just a gpf, please. otherwise she'll never get to worlds - they'd send Gulyakova or Tarusina or Samodurova :(

TAT is not eating her alive. TAT says "Brian said himself they are not planning to win everything"

auser

Record Breaker
There is something about how Wakaba skates now that reminds me a bit of Yuka Sato. The way she mixes the upper and lower body movement balance to propel her with appeal.

mishulyia

On the Ice
Was he growling? I heard him go "Eww" at the score, as I would be.

I hope people won't be too hard on Med after this :( it was sad to read at ACI.

Wakaba looks great though!

It was before the score was announced. Like a frustrated “Arrrgh!”