2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 85 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

leoleo

Medalist
Honestly i would be okay if Wakaba withdraws from Rostelecom at this point, she does not look ready to compete. Even in her SP when she went clean you could see that she was not at her best. She should withdraw and get better and ready for Nats. If she does then give Yuna a second assignment please thank you

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Honestly i would be okay if Wakaba withdraws from Rostelecom at this point, she does not look ready to compete. Even in her SP when she went clean you could see that she was not at her best. She should withdraw and get better and ready for Nats. If she does then give Yuna a second assignment please thank you

I agree. A part of me even wanted her to skip the GP series entirely. She won't be missing out on much; plenty of competitors skip the GP for injury recovery and have been fine for 4CC/Worlds. I hope she takes the time to heal, she even said herself that she was not 100% healthy when arriving in Canada for SC...

sakurano

Final Flight
Too bad for Wakaba she had done a pretty good SP despite the injury, she has 1 month to make the right choice, I hope she will be wise and will make the right decision and cure her injury as did Satoko.

Congratulations to Mako it's not my favorite but there is potential in it is a very good start to the senior season for her.

after these some competition can we say that the Japanese favorites are determined?

_Satoko Miyahara
_Rika Kihira
_Kaori Sakamoto
_Mako Yamashita
_Mai Mihara
_ Marin Honda
_ Wakaba Higuchi

there are so many talents that it will still move in two months what a pity that there are only 3 places, I feel that whatever happens I will be still disappointed.

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
after these some competition can we say that the Japanese favorites are determined?

Definitely Satoko and Kaori.

Rika makes my palms sweat when she skates because you never know what will happen. She has the greatest potential of all, but lots of question marks with her still. When was the last time she skated two clean programs?

sakurano

Final Flight

Rika makes my palms sweat when she skates because you never know what will happen. She has the greatest potential of all, but lots of question marks with her still. When was the last time she skated two clean programs?

I confess that I, too, I close my eyes during his performances lest she make a mistake but she has the time to grow up, she is already becoming a complete skater or she has progressed enormously at the level of the artistic , her team knows whish is good for her so I trust her. When is his next competition in two weeks?

Joekaz

On the Ice

It will be whoever skates best at Nationals. We saw last year the Grand Prix season doesn't mean much at all. All the top girls are capable.

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
It will be whoever skates best at Nationals. We saw last year the Grand Prix season doesn't mean much at all. All the top girls are capable.

Almost always true, but I'd bet they'd send Satoko still if even if she finished fourth. In my mind the competition for worlds is for the two non-Satoko spots. Remember when Nakano was nixed in favor Ando even tho Yukari was 3rd and Miki was 4th. For what its worth, Wakaba was also 4th and went to worlds.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker

I agree.
I don't know why some skaters want to compete injured, even in not such important cometitions like challengers GP series. It hurts much more to compete injured than to skip a competition. Your injury can get worse and you can appear weaker than other skaters in judges' eyes so get bad reputation. Better to compete when you are 100% ready. If she competed because she couldn't get a ticket for nats without competing before (since it seems that you have to be on the podium of previous nats, or be called Yuzuru Hanyu to get a spot for nats automatically), it's done now. She won regionals and was exempted for sectionals. She can withdraw, heal, come back stronger to be in podium (better, top 2, for more safety), and be sent to worlds. Unless fed suddendly decide that BOW worth more than nats results.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Almost always true, but I'd bet they'd send Satoko still if even if she finished fourth. In my mind the competition for worlds is for the two non-Satoko spots. Remember when Nakano was nixed in favor Ando even tho Yukari was 3rd and Miki was 4th. For what its worth, Wakaba was also 4th and went to worlds.

Yes. That's why i said top 2 is better for Wakaba. Because the bronze medalist won't be lucky if Satoko is behind her.
But i think that the scandal Ando-Nakano made fed value nats results more. We saw it last year. Wakaba didn't get worlds because she was favored. Virtually she was third because there was a junior on podium. So she was tied with Kaori for olympic spot. Since whatever decision wouldn't have been totally fair, the fed cut the cake in two. Olympics for Kaori, worlds for Wakaba. And worlds were not the biggest prize.
Even in juniors senior nats were more important. Nana Araki got better results than Yuhana Yokoi all the season, internationally and domestically. Beat her in all their head to head before senior nats (and even after). But Yuhana got the junior worlds spot because she finished ahead of her at nats.
Unless you have a big big BOW, you will stay tat home if you don't deliver during nats.

leoleo

Medalist
I confess that I, too, I close my eyes during his performances lest she make a mistake but she has the time to grow up, she is already becoming a complete skater or she has progressed enormously at the level of the artistic , her team knows whish is good for her so I trust her. When is his next competition in two weeks?

I just realized that her 218 world record was with mistakes, a fall on her 3A in the SP and bad landing on the 3S. How impressive. I'd love to see two clean programs from her and see just how much that would score but i'm not holding my breath. But if she competes even with minimal mistakes like at Ondrej Nepela she still has good chances of getting gold or silver in both her GPS. Her base value is enough to be ahead of Medvdeva in IDF (now that she no longer has the huge pcs boost and her lutzes are getting (e) calls) but Satoko could very much upset her in NHK if she's clean, Satoko is very consistent when she's on and she has the PCS advantage.

katymay

Medalist
Mako and Shoma's coach always has such an infectiously cheerful demeanor during the kiss and cry moments!

Not just that. Before Mako takes to the ice she is always laughing and smiling and encouraging. I just love that coach. She always get a smile and a giggle out of Mako before she skates out. Which helps the skater relax.

katymay

Medalist
Mako is so overlooked that everyone is always surprised when she medals. The girl is consistent since in juniors. She has a better debut of senior career than every other current top Japanese lady so far.

Mako reminds me of Midori Ito.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Mako reminds me of Midori Ito.

That's why her GOEs are too low compared to what some others get.

About Rika, she has 225+ potential with two clean skates. I don't expect her to be Satoko-like consistent, because her layouts are insanely more difficult.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I think the chances that Satoko will finish 4th or lower at Nationals are next to zero :laugh: