2018 Internationaux de France Ladies Free Skate | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2018 Internationaux de France Ladies Free Skate

Ziotic

Medalist
I didn't realize it was the same layout for quite that long. That's insane!

Not only that, because of the backload bonus she would have likely done them at the exact same time in each of those programs.

Also, if you look at when she tries to backload the whole thing at the beginning of the Olympics she struggled. Although that could have been worsened by the injury.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Catching up on some vids -- Bradie was fierce! And if she believes in the lutz combo, why not keep trying it? What better season, and comp, to keep putting it in? If she had pulled it from her short, in some universe she might have moved up a spot on the podium (or would that even be possible?), but the GPF was out of reach regardless, right? Nationals, well, that might be a different story, depending on where she is with it, but I think it shows grit and an ability to work on a longterm plan to keep on with the more difficult content, especially bearing in mind that several women are adding 3A's to their arsenals. Stiff -- well, maybe, but it goes with the choreo. Her Juliet is no wilting flower. Holds my attention.

Interesting to hear all the comments about Marin -- so many comments about her appearance and statements like she could live off her looks, etc. etc. She is beautiful in my eyes, without question, but seems more than usual focus on her appearance. No wonder skating can be so hard on young women and their mental health. If you are seen as so beautiful, well, you may wonder, is that the sum of your worth? And if you're not getting those comments, then you can be left thinking -- what am I? Just my personal observations and my opinions only. I know no one is meaning to be anything but complimentary, but the number of comments on her appearance just jumped out at me as something to ponder.

ETA: Rika -- such command and confidence! Her jumps are such a pleasure to watch. Amazing skate.

The 3lz/3lp should really be worth more when it's so hard to get it ratified. Bradie's combo looked clean to me in real time.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Rika has the momentum. Bradie has regained the momentum. Evgenia has possibly just slid off the Russian team and looks like she is the next expired baby ballerina becomes older teen fade out Pologloraya, Radinova, Lipinskaya, Sotnikova... Maria looks like she is stuck in mediocrity. Japan looks a little strongeroverallthan Russia. Evgenia needsodosoemthing drastic. Programsthat aren't working, New body not working. Nothing is workingand she has lost confidence.

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
I’m really disappointed with Brian saying that Rika’s score is nothing. This is not a classy way to comfort your skater.

Sad for Zhenya. I was shocked when I saw the results, I hope she comebacks stronger at Nats.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Who said it doesn't work? Worked perfectly for her the last season.
Do you think she decided to do a technique revamp just for kicks?

Evgenia's jump technique held through last season (albeit barely at times), but she's also noticeably physically matured since last season. Hence, the need to change.

Who is that magnificent coach whose girls survive puberty?
Are you seriously arguing that women over the age of 18 can't compete in figure skating? The list of names that show otherwise is, to say the least, very long, and look no further than Elizaveta Tuktamysheva. Alexei Mishin is a good example of a coach who teaches durable technique and knows how to guide skaters through their physical development.

There's nothing unusual about this in figure skating. With men, they get taller; with women it's their breasts and hips in addition to height. All skaters need to adjust to it, and can with time, assuming there's a solid base to build on.

Seruleane

Final Flight
I think one of the things that makes Medvedeva inconsistent and had made her consistent, is the stability of her technical content. She skated the same program during 5 seasons. Same elements at the same place. 3F-3T/3lz/spin/stepseq/3lo/3F/2A-2T-2T/3S-3T/2A/Chsq/Spin/Spin. When you do that, easier for your body to remember what to do.

You're right. I completely forgot about that. IIRC, Yuzuru mentioned this when he was struggling with new programs/layouts in the pre-Olympic season. I think he spoke with Evgenia and realized that one of the keys to her dominance was the stability of her layout, and that was one of the reasons he recycled his Olympic season programs (though the layout did change a bit). Sorry to be off topic, your post just reminded me of all that, and I agree it could be a key reason for why Evgenia is struggling more than we expected. To change the layout, rework her technique and try different styles of music is really ambitious, and I hope she will ultimately succeed, because to see her so sad after the FS was really heartbreaking.

ETA: I will also add that, despite her stumbles on the jumps, that was the first time I felt convinced she was actually skating to a tango. So, I do think her interpretation is improving :thumbsup:

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
And that comment was negative - and rude and disrespectful

Seems petty to be diminishing/dismissing the accomplishments of others at that moment.

asingingwife

Rinkside
Yes, Evgenia isn't on the podium in what her entire senior career and everyone is discounting her. Alina failed at Worlds and guess what? She's dominating this season. No one can predict the future but I firmly believe Evgenia will fight her way back to the top. The juniors are coming, yes we know but don't discount Evgenia yet. This may be the biggest learning curve she will face, learning to lose for a change but she is a fighter.

Congrats to all the ladies who did well today!

moriel

Record Breaker
Also, to people complaining how "immediatists" some folks here are.
Zhenya had one bad competition. Then another bad competition. Then another bad competition. It keeps happening and we see a pattern.
We find some decisions of her teams debatable (programs, packaging, changing everything at once - jump technique and jump layout), and that makes us also doubt their long term strategy.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
And that comment was negative - and rude and disrespectful

Seems petty to be diminishing/dismissing the accomplishments of others at that moment.

You know, I just went back and listened to that and I have to disagree. If he’d gone up to Rika and said “god, you won with 205? Not much of a win!”I’d call that disrespectful and trying to diminish someone’s accomplishments. That’s not even close to what happened here.

Evgenia had just gotten her scores. She was about to cry. Brian clearly didn’t know what to say and started babbling. He didn’t know what people could or couldn’t hear. Really, unless you are a figure skating fan listening really really hard to what he is saying and looking for insults, all you can really hear is, “205 is...”. There was no implication that Rika was a bad skater or didn’t deserve to win or that Evgeniya should have beaten her despite giving a bad performance.

In fact, a person who was inclined to be charitable might have interpreted Brian’s remarks to Zhenya as saying, you scored almost 205 earlier this season, you’ll be able to score that much again, so even though you’re struggling right now, just give it time.

Basically, I don’t think it’s necessary to create drama where there is none.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
omg, I just watched the Ladies ceremony and it is so bad that's actually great!
So much awkwardness and cringe!!! :laugh2:

First of all, medals? What medals??? Take this pink hexagon instead!
And better yet, third place gets an ok size hexagon, second place gets a bigger and already ridiculous sized hexagon, first place gets a huge hexagon! :laugh: Rika's reaction was the best btw! :laugh:
Then, what is that thing in the box??? I heard something about a chip but I couldn't understand what the announcer was saying. Anyway, again, just no. LOL
Then, as if that box and hexagon weren't enough things to hold, we can forget decent medals but we cannot let go of flowers!!! Flowers are of utmost importance! :rofl:
And, oh, the icing on the cake: digital flags. Digital flags on a pole, rising, flying with the wind. Wow, so high-tech, amazing! :rofl2: And again, Rika's reaction was the best, she could not hide her "wth is going on?" face! :laugh2: Hilarious!
I love IdF, best GP event! :points:

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Prepare yourself... they were GPS watches :p

what?????
I didn't even know such thing existed and don't know what they exist for but ok.

Btw, please pardon me, I'm really bad at math and geometry and etc, I don't know if that was an hexagon or a pentagon??? Was that a pentagon??? Pentagon are 5 sides this I know, how many sides were that thing??? :laugh2:
Urgh, IdF, stop making things so complicated! :drama:
:rofl: