2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 201 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Amber had a good Sectional and scored 181. Megan had a hand injury at Golden Spin had scored awfully low. She also had a touch sectionals with a lot of pops. I’ve heard nothing from Courtney or Angela.

Courtney recently was in Scott Hamilton’s fundraising show. Coincidentially, it was the same weekend as GP Russia, where (except for late withdrawls) she could have had an invite as a replacement.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Courtney recently was in Scott Hamilton’s fundraising show. Coincidentially, it was the same weekend as GP Russia, where (except for late withdrawls) she could have had an invite as a replacement.

I am sure that Scott would have understood if Courtney had gone to COR :biggrin: Of course, no athlete wants to withdraw late and there was no guarantee that Courtney would have been invited anyway.

What I found most interesting from that show was that Scott gave Courtney the "hard sell" (in a nice way) in front of an audience to move to his skating academy,:) ( presumably when Kori finally moves there permanently, although Scott didn't say that).

Steinbeck

Rinkside
I can't believe how much time and typing is being spent rehashing the past, or skaters who aren't really skating anymore or training full time (at least for now), or just aren't contenders. Wouldn't it be more interesting and fun to discuss the ones coming up the pipeline?

mrrice

Record Breaker
I can't believe how much time and typing is being spent rehashing the past, or skaters who aren't really skating anymore or training full time (at least for now), or just aren't contenders. Wouldn't it be more interesting and fun to discuss the ones coming up the pipeline?

It's always interesting to discuss new skaters however, I don't want to forget about skaters that are still out there grinding. That includes Gracie. I have followed Angela since she was a Junior and she really had a ton of promise. I hate to see to these skaters be written off before they truly retire. That said, I don't believe any US lady can beat a clean Bradie. With Mariah looking good for the 2nd spot. I'd say that's our World team and the 3rd spot is up for grabs.

Karen, Angela, Courtney. Alysa is still too young, right?

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Alysa is even too young for JUNIOR Worlds.

I feel like we’ve all so accepted that the 4CC and Worlds team is Bradie and Mariah that the only thing we speculate about is low-probability scenarios (comebacks, Liu, etc.).

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I feel like we’ve all so accepted that the 4CC and Worlds team is Bradie and Mariah that the only thing we speculate about is low-probability scenarios (comebacks, Liu, etc.).

I think there's a reasonable probability that Mariah doesn't make the World team, although at this point it looks like she's the likeliest to join Bradie. Whereas Bradie has a "body of work" to get her on the team, I do think Mariah will have to be in the top 2 to make it.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Mariah could completely mess up the short program at nationals because of her weakness on the 3-3. Then, could she have a strong enough lp to rise up to 2nd? There’s Ting and , well, that’s it, who could be sent to worlds instead.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Mariah could completely mess up the short program at nationals because of her weakness on the 3-3. Then, could she have a strong enough lp to rise up to 2nd? There’s Ting and , well, that’s it, who could be sent to worlds instead.

Mariah has one medal in 5 attempts at Nationals. She's had a good season but I don't know that she could be counted on to deliver two strong programs with the unique pressure there is at the event. She may skate well, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I think there's a reasonable probability that Mariah doesn't make the World team, although at this point it looks like she's the likeliest to join Bradie. Whereas Bradie has a "body of work" to get her on the team, I do think Mariah will have to be in the top 2 to make it.

We don't really know what the criteria is for making the team this season so it seems kind of impossible to know if anyone other than Ting or Mariah can make the team. I think it will depend a lot on how those athletes do at Nationals. I mean, we all saw how far Mirai fell in the ranks in 2015 and how far Karen & Mariah fell at the 2016 U.S. Nationals. Ting, of course, is just debuting which is a huge challenge. Last year Emmy Ma and Kaitlyn Nguyen had strong JGP seasons and finished 14th & 16th. Best if the ladies go out and do their job.

klutzy

On the Ice
If Mariah skates the way Mariah can skate, then I see her going to Worlds, but she's had an issue with nerves. Ting has those beautiful lofty jumps and she could have a moment as could Karen Chen. I don't see another American catching Bradie this season--even Bradie's bad skates just aren't that bad.

Starr Andrews showed some major charisma last season, but she doesn't seem to be a factor this season.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
There's no one else to send besides Mariah and Bradie. Ting is the only one even remotely possible but it would be really silly to send her to Worlds as her first major senior competition. Mariah's results this season are respectable anyway. She's the clear #2. Everyone else is a complete nonfactor for the World's spot unless Mirai or Ashley actually make a comeback. Still, Mariah has had a good enough season to be sent to Worlds even if someone has a comeback and does well.

With all of this said, nationals surely won't be boring even with the lack of depth relative to other top countries. Bradie, Mariah, Ting, Alysa, Gracie, Karen, Angela, Megan, Starr, Mirai & Ashley (seems unlikely but still a fun thought) will all be interesting to watch for different reasons. Although I think the Worlds spots are a done deal (or at least should be), there are so many different narratives & storylines going into nationals, it'll be fun!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It's always interesting to discuss new skaters however, I don't want to forget about skaters that are still out there grinding. That includes Gracie. I have followed Angela since she was a Junior and she really had a ton of promise. I hate to see to these skaters be written off before they truly retire. That said, I don't believe any US lady can beat a clean Bradie. With Mariah looking good for the 2nd spot. I'd say that's our World team and the 3rd spot is up for grabs.

Well I think if Gracie skated like she did in the past clean or even fairly clean she would beat Bradie BUT she wasn't close to that at Cup of Russia. If Mirai and or Ashley skated their best clean they also could beat Bradie too.. But that just doesn't look likely right now. That's of course if they were in shape and competing.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mariah has one medal in 5 attempts at Nationals. She's had a good season but I don't know that she could be counted on to deliver two strong programs with the unique pressure there is at the event. She may skate well, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion.

Hm, Miss Daisy, you have a pretty good knack for bringing me back down to earth. :unsure: But she has so many wonderful qualities! And this could be the year that she brings it all together. It's kind of looking like it. Fingers crossed. I'm looking forward to a lot of skaters highlighting diverse, personal skating qualities at Nationals.

macy

Record Breaker
There's no one else to send besides Mariah and Bradie. Ting is the only one even remotely possible but it would be really silly to send her to Worlds as her first major senior competition. Mariah's results this season are respectable anyway. She's the clear #2. Everyone else is a complete nonfactor for the World's spot unless Mirai or Ashley actually make a comeback. Still, Mariah has had a good enough season to be sent to Worlds even if someone has a comeback and does well.

With all of this said, nationals surely won't be boring even with the lack of depth relative to other top countries. Bradie, Mariah, Ting, Alysa, Gracie, Karen, Angela, Megan, Starr, Mirai & Ashley (seems unlikely but still a fun thought) will all be interesting to watch for different reasons. Although I think the Worlds spots are a done deal (or at least should be), there are so many different narratives & storylines going into nationals, it'll be fun!

they did the same thing with Polina in 2014 when they sent her to the OG as her first senior international competition, so i don't think they'd think twice if she did well enough.

andromache

Record Breaker
Mariah's at risk of not making the team if she skates badly, but I don't think it's at all likely that Karen, Starr, or Angela will outskate her. Gracie is still rebuilding and will be a non-factor if she competes. Ashley isn't coming back. Mirai might be? But it's difficult to say how competitive she will be, and she doesn't really have a great body of work.

Ting is Mariah's big threat. Ting doesn't really have much to lose and can skate without a lot of pressure, as I think her Junior Worlds spot is basically guaranteed. She could have a real breakout moment, and if she places over Mariah at Nationals, there's no great argument not to send her to Senior Worlds instead.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mariah may mess up her SP, but she has proven to be a great FS performer.
This year, Ting has shown herself to be the opposite: she skates a clean SP, but inevitably messes up in the FS. That is a complete reverse of Ting last year as a junior: she totally bombed her SP and was 11th going into the FS. But she delivered such an astounding FS that she soared from 11th to finish 2nd overall, behind Alysa.

You just never know who's going to be hit by competition nerves at Nationals.

Steinbeck

Rinkside

I hear that for sure. So much respect for all them! Few people out there realize what these skaters put into it---physically, emotionally, financially ... and from a family standpoint, too (meaning the time and financial pressures can be tough on families). I can't help but pull for all of them. I just think it's fascinating, too, how the sport is changing so much (pushed by Russian and Japanese skaters), and how today's Juv-Juniors are dealing with a different reality. It used to be that the long-term vision was getting 2A and all the triples, and a good 3-3. Now that horizon has a 3A and a quad or two or three.