2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 239 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Or maybe 13 yo girls are a key target demo.

I think it’s more that. I would think for the most part adults aren’t buying those items for themselves. They’re buying them for their children. Just my best guess.

natsulian

Final Flight
Social media has entirely changed the playing field, for better or worse. Figure skating fans are ruthless, tearing others down to prop others up, or critiquing athletes as if they live inside their heads 24/7 and are their family, friends, or coach. From what I've read, Alysa's dad and coach are cognizant of this and are strict about Alysa's social media use. Social media can be a tool utilized to build connections and sustain relationships, but when an anonymous individual is behind that screen, they hold so much power at their fingertips. Thus, simply because of their anonymity, they believe that they can say certain things they would refrain from saying in person. As a 13-year-old, or any age, no matter how mature Alysa is, words hurt and her dad and coach will not be able to shield her once she moves on with her career. I think that there should be someone managing her "professional" accounts on social media and that she should have a private, personal account for her own use. We're in a totally new ballpark with Alysa because Nathan, Mirai, Caroline, Sasha, Michelle, etc... did not have to deal with the scrutiny of the media PLUS social media. People can learn to deal with the media, but easily accessible words and attacks from the public are a whole other domain and I hope Alysa has the capacity to not engage in that kind of conversation. Plus, I'm certain the media will characterize Alysa as the, "little girl with big talent" and not focus too much on the upcoming Olympics. Sure, there will be questions alluding to it, but I'm sure it won't go past the usual, "Your dream is to win Gold, right?" As for sponsors, Nike and Edea already have their eyes on her judging from her Instagram stories.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Ting can be easily a brand ambassador for Vera Wang. Ting has very elegant presence, and her face, is just so Mulan in a good way :)

bubblecherry

Final Flight
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with how the USFS and commentators are handling Alysa. I do think we should encourage ourselves and others to keep our expectations realistic for her but I also think people are going overboard with trying to "protect" her.

I think regardless of how she does in the future it was important for USFS and commentators to make a moment out of her performance because it will almost certainly inspire younger skaters, or future skaters to be bold and competitive going forward. Of course we should hold everyone accountable and make sure that they're giving her enough support and manage our expectations but it's not so bad. Similarly, skating fans get annoyed with the US media "overhyping" Nathan but I think it's important because he's someone who can engage people in the sport and perhaps it inspires people to skate and it's overall good for the sport even if it's dramatized. We should just do our job to support these athletes and hold people accountable when they go too far to the point where it's debilitating to the athletes.

That being said, does anyone know where to find the clip of Alysa on the Today Show? I'd like to see.

stella luna

Final Flight
At least Nathan had the eligibility and potential to be OGM.

Alyssa is 13. It will be FOUR YEARS before she can even compete as a Senior Internationally.

Who'd have thought we'd have so much in common with the Russians? Our top lady can't go to Worlds. Seems like it's becoming a trend.

natsulian

Final Flight
The Canadians have their own little prodigy in Stephen Gogolev. Our pairs have had a better than expected Grand Prix season and I hope they keep improving. Remember when Nathan was touted as the “savior of the men’s discipline” and people rolled their eyes? Look at us now... we have three men capable of landing on the podium in any event should they go clean. We have three spots for Worlds, all the spots for the GP, and the Junior men are looking up to Nathan and we now have Junior podium contenders with good, maybe not consistent, 4T, 3A, and 4S. With Bradie and Mariah continuing to lead the older generation and Alysa, Ting, and Hanna rising in popularity and ranks, I think the ladies are gong to really turn things around. Next season will be very tough though with the deepest women’s field ever, technically speaking. I haven’t been this excited in years about the ladies’ field. Interest in the sport has finally risen in the past year. I swear there are more articles, headlines, videos, and chats about figure skating than there were during the Winter Olympics (hyperbole of course).

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
AP via NYT Can Nathan Chen, Alysa Liu Lead an American Skating Rebound?

They might. If our pairs would be close to competitive for world medals by 2022, the US, with the always strong dancers, may be able to compete with the Russians for the Olympic team gold in Beijing, assuming the Canadians won't be as strong in men's and dance's as they were in PyeongChang.

If USFS doesn’t send the most competitive international pair to Worlds regardless of Nationals results we may never ever even get 2 slots back. Which would be K/K if he weren’t injured. I’ll say again I wish they picked teams like USA Gymnastics does. Though Lord only knows USA Gymnastics is no sort of organization to be looked up to. But we did get to be a world gymnastics power by sending the strongest teams.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Surely she will grow at least a few more inches - unlikely she will stay this little forever.

I was around her height at 13 and seriously felt like I would never grow! And now I’m like 10 inches taller:p

Height is truly unpredictable. I started going through puberty at 9 (I even had acne at that age!), experienced a growth spurt at 11 which made me the tallest in my grade, and then never grew further (at least, not vertically, lol). Now I'm considered short by 'average height' standards. Then you have my partner who was the size of a 10 year old until he reached 10th grade and hit puberty! :laugh:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After watching Ting's LP again besides looking a bit like Mao does anyone think she has the same smooth almost fragile style of skating that Mao had? She looked like a future champion in that skate now she just needs to bear down and become a better competitor. If she ever becomes a consistent skater i see her passing both Bradie and Mariah soon. She has the jumps that Bell doesn't and the beautiful posture lines and artistry that Bradie lacks.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I think what Ting mostly needs is experience in competition. She only started her international season last season, and this is only the second season. What is the total number of international competitions she was in so far? Hope she gets more senior B next season before she heads to GP. Going to 4CC will be a good experience for her.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
After watching Ting's LP again besides looking a bit like Mao does anyone think she has the same smooth almost fragile style of skating that Mao had? She looked like a future champion in that skate now she just needs to bear down and become a better competitor. If she ever becomes a consistent skater i see her passing both Bradie and Mariah soon. She has the jumps that Bell doesn't and the beautiful posture lines and artistry that Bradie lacks.

I agree with everything you said except Mao had softer knees

princessalica

Final Flight
I know it was a terrible competition for Courtney Hicks, but there was still something softer and more refined about her skating. Even though her skates didn't reflect improvement, I think that she has improved greatly.

I loved Amber Glenn's short program, and I was really sad that she didn't skate a long to match it. But she did show a flash of brilliance.

I have a soft spot for Hannah Miller. I would love for her to get her jumps solid, and I know it may never happen, but I enjoy watching her. And in her IG, she definitely acknowledged it.

Alysa really didn't give USFS much choice but to crown her. Mariah and Bradie both faltered. Hanna was a joy to watch skate!

I would have loved to see how Pooja would have done if she hadn't been injured. I really enjoy her skating as well.

I know that there is no guarantee that Gracie will make it back to where she was, but I would love to see her skate from a good mental place because she has so much potential and the judges want to reward her.

And then I wonder where Polina will land in the mix if she does officially come back, as she announced she was doing or for that matter where Karen will stack up in the ranks.

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
At least Nathan had the eligibility and potential to be OGM.

Alyssa is 13. It will be FOUR YEARS before she can even compete as a Senior Internationally.

Three years, right? She has to be 15 by July 1, and unfortunately she misses the cutoff, so she will compete internationally when she is 16 - 2021-2022 season.

concorde

Medalist
Moving on - if Alysa continues her success leading to 2022 - Also her dad is from a China, she speaks Chinese ... which adds to her compelling narrative.

I wonder how long it will be before the Chinese Federation comes a knocking at their door.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I know it was a terrible competition for Courtney Hicks, but there was still something softer and more refined about her skating. Even though her skates didn't reflect improvement, I think that she has improved greatly.

Courtney is far too good to be skating like that at Nationals. She is one of a few Americans with multiple GP medals, and has had quite a few more 4th place finishes on the GP series. If you look at her entire senior career, which includes GP events, Senior B's, and one 4CC, Nationals is always her worst placement. Given her international results, Hicks should be inside the top 5 every year, but she's only been once in seven tries. I'm not sure what the problem is with her not being able to bring good form to Nationals.