2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 130 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
And that really really bugs me, poor Yuna underscored in both programs doing an exellent job, thanks for those beautiful programs yuna! good job my girl, you don't deserve to be so underrated you are a warrior

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Maybe not a mistake but at the end a junior missed a great experience for her development as skater for nothing.

This strategy could have worked if the judging was fair. But fed should have learnt from history that a senior won't necessarily get high marks in juniors.

Shanshani

On the Ice
Maybe not a mistake but at the end a junior missed a great experience for her development as skater for nothing.

This strategy could have worked if the judging was fair. But fed should have learnt from history that a senior won't necessary get high marks in juniors.

I don't think it was for nothing. For one thing, I think it's drawn a lot of attention to Yuna, which may contribute to her PCS rising in the future/certainly will help her remain funded. And personally, I think everyone who watched the JWC benefited from seeing such a wonderful skate. Yuna represented Japan well--it's unfortunate that she was underscored, and that the other Japanese juniors did not quite rise to the occasion. And rising to the occasion is precisely what a skater needs to do if they want to take that spot from Yuna or another skater--otherwise, well, she is a stronger skater and she is eligible, so there is no reason she does not deserve to be there.

Is Stephane Lambiel Yuna Shiraiwa's coach now?

I think he was just standing in since her regular coach is busy preparing senior skaters for Worlds.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I don't think it was for nothing. For one thing, I think it's drawn a lot of attention to Yuna, which may contribute to her PCS rising in the future/certainly will help her remain funded. And personally, I think everyone who watched the JWC benefited from seeing such a wonderful skate. Yuna represented Japan well--it's unfortunate that she was underscored, and that the other Japanese juniors did not quite rise to the occasion. And rising to the occasion is precisely what a skater needs to do if they want to take that spot from Yuna or another skater--otherwise, well, she is a stronger skater and she is eligible, so there is no reason she does not deserve to be there.

Well, it's great for her and viewers but not for fed and juniors who will have to fight for only two spots next season.
I didn't say that she doesn't deserve to be there. I said that she was there for nothing, as Japan lost the spot anyway.

sk8ath

On the Ice
Well, it's great for her and viewers but not for fed and juniors who will have to fight for only two spots next season.
I didn't say that she doesn't deserve to be there. I said that she was there for nothing, as Japan lost the spot anyway.

I wouldn't say she was there for nothing...
She secured max JGP spots for Japan next season thanks to her final standing...

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker

This strategy could have worked if the judging was fair. But fed should have learnt from history that a senior won't necessarily get high marks in juniors.

But who else would you have them send if not her? Who would've had a better chance to medal?

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
But who else would you have them send if not her? Who would've had a better chance to medal?

Nobody would've had a better chance of a medal. Just one could have got her scores or close with clean performances: Nana Araki.
I just say that at the end it didn't worth to not give the spot to a junior. IMO Nana or Wakana needed that experience more.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
And I think the junior champions should NOT get JW spots automatically.

I think JSF will be looking to revise that for the next season. I'm sure they were hoping for men and ladies to gain 3 spots in junior worlds; the decisions will likely be even tougher next year.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I also think that Senior nats results shouldn't have the last word. One competition shouldn't go above the whole season.

rabidline

Final Flight
Yuna made a very important thing today. She saved spots for Japan at next JGP. Seven of them.

This. The JGP spots Yuna saved are so important.

If Yuna didn't place 4th Korea would have taken the 14 JGP spots and Japan will be left with 7. So I disagree that sending Yuna wasn't worth it. It's not ideal, but her placement made sure that girls like Nana, Wakana and many more will have the maximum opportunity to compete in the JGP next season. Yuhana and Tomoe were unfortunate to not have a great competition- unfortunately they also compromised the JGP spots with their placements.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan

If your sole priority is to maximize spots for juniors and seniors, then you'd send Kihira to Junior Nationals and Mihara to Seniors in her place.
Pretty sure they could secure three spots in both with that arrangement.

Edit: Of course, I meant Junior Worlds. Many thanks for the kindness in not pointing out this botch. :palmf:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

At least she gave it a go. And beat Yokoi and Kawabata. Not to mention, this is good experience for her going into next season (more ranking points, etc.). Who should've gone? Araki? whose PB of 176 would have gotten 8th - at best?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If your sole priority is to maximize spots for juniors and seniors, then you'd send Kihira to Junior Nationals and Mihara to Seniors in her place.
Pretty sure they could secure three spots in both with that arrangement.

True.. but if you feel like having the best shot at a Japanese World Champion, you send Kihira to Senior Worlds. :biggrin: