mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Jean Luc Baker just posted a picture of John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever on his insta so... Saturday Night Fever program?

How many Discos will there be by the end of the summer?! xD

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Disco Brits started as ice dance trend, and as a young adult of the 70s, I am so here for it:dance3:

Given Jean-Luc’s Austin Powers, I think Hawayek/Baker could do one great disco program:agree:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Disco Brits started as ice dance trend, and as a young adult of the 70s, I am so here for it:dance3:

Given Jean-Luc’s Austin Powers, I think Hawayek/Baker could do one great disco program:agree:

I'd say Gilles & Poirier's 2017 RD probably started it, but F&G's climb up the ranks with it was pretty likely to lead to more programs. I agree that it's a good fit for Hawayek & Baker.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd say Gilles & Poirier's 2017 RD probably started it, but F&G's climb up the ranks with it was pretty likely to lead to more programs. I agree that it's a good fit for Hawayek & Baker.

You're right, that Fro, that mustache! (which I actually liked, and I liked them back in the 70s too. ;))

And it looks like Kaitlyn posted the same Saturday Night Fever photo on IG, so disco program is probably a go:thumbsup:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy

nothing says fun like disco music, and i love funny programs and surely they can sell one, so i'm looking forward to it :dance3:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Marie-Jade Lauriault/Romain Le Gac:

RD: Les Demoiselles de Rochefort, as per this instagram post. Choreographer not announced yet.

Interesting and unique choice for RD (I love the French musical film) but I'm wonder whether it suits the required broadway musical theme for next season.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Interesting and unique choice for RD (I love the French musical film) but I'm wonder whether it suits the required broadway musical theme for next season.

Per the ice dance technical meeting and subsequent communications, film musicals are acceptable and stage musicals aren't restricted to Broadway only, so Les Demoiselles is absolutely fine.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The formal term is “Broadway / musical / operetta”; Broadway is just shorthand.

I’ll be interested to see if we actually see any operetta.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Per the ice dance technical meeting and subsequent communications, film musicals are acceptable and stage musicals aren't restricted to Broadway only, so Les Demoiselles is absolutely fine.

Which makes the intended programs we're seeing so far even MORE disappointing than usual. I'm already bored and it's not even JUNE. Lord help us all come GP Final time. We may all be in a War Horse coma.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

Thanks for the clarification. I might've read the communications very sketchy. ;)

The formal term is “Broadway / musical / operetta”; Broadway is just shorthand.

I’ll be interested to see if we actually see any operetta.

Oh, operatta would be absolutely fabulous as we don't often see programs from the genre.

Which makes the intended programs we're seeing so far even MORE disappointing than usual. I'm already bored and it's not even JUNE. Lord help us all come GP Final time. We may all be in a War Horse coma.

Well, Les Demoiselles is far from War Horses, so don't give up too soon. Though I have to admit why we have to see Finnstep again as a required pattern dance.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

The formal term is “Broadway / musical / operetta”; Broadway is just shorthand. ...

Re ISU's formal language:
"Music from Musicals and/or Operettas" is what the most recent ISU document (p. 31 of Communication No. 2257 from yesterday) says. Same for Communication No. 2239.
No mention at all of "Broadway" … which implies to me that maybe the ISU in hindsight recognized that its earlier mentions of Broadway were being misunderstood by some as a restriction against non-Broadway musicals (although Harriet correctly notes that the ISU always was more inclusive and had never given such a restriction).
Broadway of course continues to be one of the acceptable options ["Can be a play (on the stage)"], but not the only acceptable option.​

3.1. Rhythms
Rule 709, paragraph 1.a) provides that rhythm(s) and/or theme(s) are selected by the Ice Dance Technical Committee annually for the season. For the season 2019/20, the following Rhythms were selected.

Junior and Senior: Music from Musicals and/or Operettas: ALL selected music should be recognized as from one of the following Rhythms: Quickstep, Blues, March, Polka, Foxtrot, Swing, Charleston, Waltz. The number of rhythms is not restricted. The selected music may be from the same or different Musicals and/or Operettas.
Note:
- Musical and/or Operetta - Can be a play (on the stage) or film in which music, singing and/or dancing play an essential part "to tell the story". Juke Box Musicals are allowed (Examples - Mamma Mia, Jersey Boys)
- Music from movie soundtracks which are not movie musicals such as Mr. and Mrs. Smith, A Star is Born or soundtrack music from Star Wars, James Bond are “compilations of music/songs/tracks" and not a "musical".
Note:
- When submitting the Music Information, couples must include the title(s) of the Musical/Operetta and the Rhythms selected for the Rhythm Dance.​

BTW, also of note from Communication No. 2257 (underlining not added; I think it signifies new language):

Junior: The Pattern Dance Element, Tea Time Foxtrot, must be skated to a Foxtrot Rhythm and in the style of the Foxtrot. The Tempo of the music throughout the Pattern Dance Element must be constant and in accordance with the required Tempo of the Pattern Dance: 27 four-beat measures per minute 108 beats per minute+/-2 beats.

Note: For the Tea-Time Foxtrot and the required Foxtrot rhythm/tempo (108 bpm), Ballroom music selections in the style of Foxtrot are allowed even when not from a musical and/or operetta.