Nathan Chen | Page 891 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

chanchan

On the Ice
Well, i don't like the edit and choreography of this program. It's kind of messy to me. But i like the way nathan performing it. He is always fun to watch.

I know school is not easy. Maybe he needs some fun programs to relax. Hope next season he get some more decent programs.(already enough MFD:slink:)

discode

Final Flight
His interpretation of La boheme was much better to me. It's not so frantic at the end and is less Caravan/Nemesis like. Please don't start having 3A problems though.

And the Rocketman ChSQ + backflip was awesome. :yay:

1111bm

Final Flight
Wow, he really worked on his delivery of La Boheme, it does look less rushed indeed and he's prolonged and softened his movements even more. I notice that he's changed some of the arm/hand choreo to look less fierce (took out one moment where he used to make fists f.i.) and of course he altered the ending pose that we all complained about (some more, some less). I'm really impressed!

I wonder if he had a visit from Shae or was it Nadya who has worked with him on it, before he left for Yale? If it was Nathan all by himself, then I'm even more impressed, given his tight schedule and all the other things on his mind.

And I see he's somewhat rearranged his step sequence. I am a bit sad that he's not doing that quick loop+Euler out of a twizzle anymore, because I really loved the way he did it. But he never closed the loop which would have most likely cost him a level each time, and I was actually a bit worried about that one (loosing a level because of something like that would be so unnecessary). So it's probably safer to do the loop in isolation if he's not confident that he can do it properly in the heat of the moment, when tacked onto the twizzle, when he's throwing himself into performing his steps, but damn, I miss it already.

And omg, I have to gush about how incredibly adorable he looks when he goes into that encore! Those shoulder wiggles! He seems so comfortable in his own skin and so relaxed. And his facial expressions during his choreo sequence are hilarious (that slo-mo replay is killing me :laugh:)! There's so much joy in his performance and he's so much fun to watch, you go Nathan!

shine

Record Breaker
I liked that he has softened up in places but I also still liked the old steps better. Besides the euler/hop (I loved that move :() that 1111bm mentioned, I thought it had more of the intensity that matched the music and I liked the contrast between his more angular approach and the smoothness of the chanson - it almost felt intentionally designed. But this is still good.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I would assume changes were made due to feedback at Champs Camp. I liked the hop, too, but most likely he'll skate it for SOI so he might add it back for the shows.

Ella5555

On the Ice
I liked that he has softened up in places but I also still liked the old steps better. Besides the euler/hop (I loved that move :() that 1111bm mentioned, I thought it had more of the intensity that matched the music and I liked the contrast between his more angular approach and the smoothness of the chanson - it almost felt intentionally designed. But this is still good.
Wasn’t COI held on same day as JO? I am wondering if the “softening” was due, in part, to fatigue after performing a difficult technical program. He may have removed some of the nuances just to take it easy as part of his recovery process. I don’t know. Just guessing.

1111bm

Final Flight
Wasn’t COI held on same day as JO? I am wondering if the “softening” was due, in part, to fatigue after performing a difficult technical program. He may have removed some of the nuances just to take it easy as part of his recovery process. I don’t know. Just guessing.

Not sure, I mean the adrenaline would probably trump any fatigue, at least for those few minutes that he's out there performing, I would think?

And the softening, that some of us seem to have observed, doesn't equal limp and weak or showing less nuance, quite the contrary. ;)
Actually, finding the right amount of tension so you can move softly without looking too slack or too forceful, requires focus and strength too.

Anyway, to me the little changes that I noticed (maybe imagined those, who knows :laugh:) looked intentional, like the way he loosened up his hands and didn't make a fist so often. You can also see that in his last spin, when he goes into the (male) donut variation, he first forms a fist, out of habit maybe (?), and then he quickly opens it up again.
I also felt that he held a few edges or positions a little bit longer. Which I believe doesn't come natural to him, because he's always struck me as someone who has very 'restless feet' on the ice and likes to move quickly (it's the reason many don't like his skating, because it looks too choppy to them). And also, the music is kinda restless too, so he has to keep up with it.

But we'll see at Skate America what the (current) competition version of La Boheme looks like. With the competition pressure and having to fit in more difficult jumping passes, he might rush the program more.

But I certainly hope fatigue, coupled with jetlag, was the reason for the popped 3A. :laugh::dev2:

Yeah, I enjoyed the more passionate approach in his old step sequence too, and those jumps gave a stronger feeling of abandon. I wonder why out of the 4 hops in his step sequence, he took 2 out? Was he struggling with time constraints? He could at least add the Euler/fallen leaf variation (it's like a mix between the two) back in right after the twizzle, even without the loop.

I liked the hop, too, but most likely he'll skate it for SOI so he might add it back for the shows.

Unlikely I think. Once simplified, he tends to stay with that version, at least it was that way with Nemesis and Caravan.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
After seeing the clips of Rocketman at Sun Valley I wasn't sure how I felt about the program. I said then that I'd reserve judgment until I see it in competition form. Now that I watched the JO performance I can say Nathan convinced me. I loved it! And so glad to see him have a strong outing here. Go Nathan!

shine

Record Breaker
Btw, Nathan looked HOT doing that encore in the SP costume. Really, can't he just use that for the entire competition? :laugh:

alexaa

Final Flight