Nathan Chen | Page 890 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

frida80

Record Breaker
Four clean quads! :yahoo::cheer::yahoo::cheer::yahoo::cheer:

Too bad about the pops, but it’s early in the season and he’s already landed a clean 4S. A +3F is definitely a good addition. I still think an two 3As isn’t a good idea, since he has to give up a +3T combo. But I’m really excited for this season.

frida80

Record Breaker
Yes, he normally uses JO to experiment so don't expect this to be his final layout.

There’s no such thing as a final layout for Nathan. He’s always making plans and backup plans. They should start writing his planned content form in pencil.

1111bm

Final Flight
Yes, I love those colours! I have this weakness for bold or neon colours you see, so this is really nice. :laugh:
And obviously such a colour scheme looks great on someone with Nathan's complexion, he can totally pull it off, LOVE the purple and pink parts of it!

But I'm also laughing at his refusal to wear sequins even though it's an Elton John themed program, and instead he's basically wearing the same costume as last year, only with different colours LOL, it's like he just can't be bothered.

And are those the nice-fitting Vera pants that he's wearing there? I thought he was only allowed to wear them for certain events.

Are we sure that one glove is covering up some type of injury on the surface of his hand? I don't think he's the type to make sure to cover up a bandage or bandaid with an extra glove.

And he was wearing fingerless gloves for SV's Rocketman skate too, so it might be part of the costume? Although if that's the case, I don't get the reasoning behind wearing just one and a skin-coloured one at that, because it kinda vanishes and doesn't go with the top either.
And are fingerless gloves even something Elton was wearing at some point? Because I have no idea, I was already wondering about that after SV. :think:
Maybe Nathan just likes the look and decided that this program gives him an occasion to wear one. :p

1111bm

Final Flight
Assuming that he's still working with Vera, I would expect him to keep this costume throughout the GP series and debut Vera's design at Nationals. If that's the case, I also wonder if she's gonna add some feathers to it, since Elton used to wear them a lot and one of her costumes for Lysaceck also had feathers iirc.

Also, why doesn't he just get the sleeves of all of his costumes shortened?
He's always rolling them up to his elbows anyway and then they tend to slip down again and he has to fiddle around with them... just ask mom to quickly adjust those sleeves Nathan! :laugh:

discode

Final Flight
His FS is fire. And the Bennie & the Jets part is amazing. :yahoo: The whole arrangement is great.

And yeah, they added Goodbye Yellow Brick road in the beginning, which I loved. Nice jump transitions as well.

And of course, he did a backflip in the encore.

1111bm

Final Flight
I'm happy they added 'Goodbye Yellow Brick road' in the beginning, changes the whole vibe of the program. Not sure I'm sold yet, will have to rewatch in better quality, but it certainly looked nice.

Also that single flip was super cute and neat, like he did it on purpose (so is he indeed adding the +1Eu+3F this season? for points I wonder, or in case he pops the 4S into a triple?).

And he's simultaneously cool and adorable in that choreo sequence, it is so much fun and he's the perfect skater to sell it. Can't wait for a higher quality version that'll show more details.

And love his shout-out to Sasha, especially with all the fans joking that Yuzu and Nathan must be quaking with fear of the little russian dragon girl! :laugh:

ETA: Oh and he did indeed hurt his right hand during the program. Maybe during the slide or maybe on a spin, which happens pretty often?

sheetz

Record Breaker
For COI Nathan performed La Boheme and his encore was the Rocketman choreo sequence, which included a back flip. He also did a back flip during the finale.

zebobes

Final Flight
The HD version from About Nathan is up on youtube.

I really disliked watching the first video, because the audio was out of sync and so in my mind it felt like Nathan kept missing the music. Watching this one makes the program much more enjoyable!

1111bm

Final Flight
He sure loves to point with his finger(s) in his programs! :laugh:
First Nemesis, then Caravan, now Rocketman... but I like it, it's certainly better than the usual 'catching invisible flies', making a passionate(!!) fist or 'using the force' that we see all the time. :biggrin:

And yes please, no backflips. Especially not on the same day when he's already skated his free skate at a comp while also being pretty jetlagged I assume! :dumb:

1111bm

Final Flight
Damn, I just realised something, and now I feel totally stupid. :laugh: :palmf:

This was probably obvious to everyone else, but...
the reason for the skin-coloured glove, and wearing just one on his left hand only, must be the breakdance type slide that he does in the beginning of his ChSq!
Ice, that has already been skated on, can be very rough with all the ruts in it and give you nasty cuts when you slide across it with uncovered skin, at the very least it's unpleasant.

It is also possible that it helps him to not slip away when he puts his body weight on that hand. A friend of mine liked to do handsprings on the ice and she'd always have to make sure to wear gloves and find a spot where the ice was rough enough so she would get enough of a grip. Now Nathan might need a happy medium between some slide but not slipping away entirely.